What a homer

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,396
  • Days Won:  491

FACEOFF: Is South Carolina the nation's sixth-best team?

By Ken Burger (Contact)

The Post and Courier

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

USC should be even higher

Not only is South Carolina deserving of its sixth-place ranking in the Bowl Championship Series, but the Gamecocks probably should also be rated even higher.

With a 5-1 record and that single loss coming against previously top-ranked LSU in Baton Rouge, La., Steve Spurrier's team is head and shoulders better than some of the pretenders sitting above them in this avoid-the-playoffs power poll.

Heck, the Gamecocks already have victories over Southeastern Conference teams like Georgia, Mississippi State and Kentucky, which should count double compared to other teams' schedules.

Ohio State? Give me a break. The Buckeyes have played Youngstown State, Akron and Northwestern, for goodness sakes.

South Florida? Who is that? The Bulls have played Elon, Florida Atlantic and Central Florida.

Oklahoma? You've got to be kidding. The Sooners have had their way with North Texas, Utah State and Tulsa.

South Carolina's only gimme games were the season opener against Louisiana-Lafayette and an in-state clash against S.C. State.

USC's road ahead looks just as daunting with Vandy, Tennessee, Arkansas, Florida and Clemson, but don't be surprised if the Gamecocks zoom into the Top 5 this week or next. Right where they deserve to be.

Reach Ken Burger at kburger@postandcourier.com.

I'd like to reach old Ken with a dose of sense.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,810
  • Days Won:  213

that is re-damm-deek-clueless

not only have we played USC--- "who are they?"

but to conveniently leave out the wins against AUBURN, UNC, and WVU--- duh-- the reason we are ranked in the first place.

not that I'm telling anyone here somethign they don't know....... but that guy is a goofball

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Didnt South Carolina barely beat North Carolina?? A team that USF pretty much had their way against this season. Keep on dreaming, South Carolina.

• Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

I love how he listed the worst 3 opponents for each team. This is why when I contribute material to websites (i'm an aspiring journalist) I want to get paid, because these idiots who are actually getting paid good money write ****** articles like this. I'm sure every team has played 3 bad opponents, you can't use a teams worst opponents to show their bad and then take your team and glorify their best 3 opponents. Yet this guy gets paid to write articles like this for a living, it's a joke.

I just need to swallow up my pride and start writing articles for free again, but i've burned my bridges with a few websites.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

.... i've burned my bridges with a few websites.

Surely not you, Colby.

You're always so level-headed and you never go off on anything.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

More tools.

• Content Count:  1,260

Surely not you, Colby.

:ROFLMAO

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I just emailed the moron and set the facts straight.  I asked him to research more completely in the future when he decides to write an article as he is seriously misinformed...

Here is a copy of my emails to him.....

BTW, if your only patsy team is Lafayette.  What about SC State.  Come on.

And UNC, you played them as did USF so it was a common opponent.  USC vs UNC final was 21 - 15, wow a two field goal margin.  USF vs. UNC final score 37 - 10, nearly three TD margin.  We scored more on them and held them to less points then you did. 

Yes, LSU is a good team, but you lost, as did the Gators to them.  Of course we beat Auburn (away game for us) who beat the gators (in the swamp) so that isn't saying much. And the gators almost beat LSU in that game.

Take the bias out of it.  Why did 5 of 6 Computer Polls rank USF number one?  Because it remove the human element.  Opinions are like, well you know..   

So, should SC move up, maybe.  But not ahead of USF.

Educate yourself before you put pen to paper in the future.... 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: kburger@postandcourier.com

Subject: RE: Is South Carolina the nation's sixth-best team?

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:04:29 +0000

I can apppreciate your article in support of USC and Spurrier.  They have certainly done well, and agreed the SEC is a tough conference.  But your swipe at South Florida is unwarranted and shows how little you know about the Bulls program and our Coach Leavitt.  I'd like to take a moment to better educate you, though I suspect your bias with USC and the SEC will not be won over regardless of the facts....

Your statement was:

South Florida?  Who is that? The Bulls have played Elon, Florida Atlantic, and Central Florida.

I'll give you that Elon was a tune up game.  UCF and FAU are not. Snellenbergers team has done well against ranked opponents in the past and have proven to be a team on the rise.  UCF has a Heisman watch running back who is leading the nation. 

Coach Leavitt was co-defensive coordinator at KState with Bob Stoops before Spurrier hired him to turn the Gators into a top team.  Stoops went on to a HC position, and at the same time Leavitt came to Florida in the recruiting bed of football.  We have had meteoric rise to bowl games the past two years and we won our first last year.  We have beaten top 20 teams in each of the past three seasons.  This year we beat Auburn away, who beat the gators. They were 18 at the time.  We knocked WVU out of the # 5 spot and effectively shut down Pat WHite, Slaton (two Heisman hopefuls), and their new running back.  UCF almost beat Texas and had the nations leading running back in Kevin Smith (also a Heisman hopeful) who we held to 55 yards.  Did I mention that our offense put up 64 points including our third string who scored.  Not to mention our Defense could play any team in the nation and hold them. 

Do we have huge names on our offense, maybe not, but we get the job done. With 3 or 4 future NFL caliber players on our Defense, we will continue to win like the Tampa Bay Bucs did in the super bowl a few years ago.  Defense wins games. 

SC will struggle with Tenn, Florida, and Clemson and will drop at least one if not two of those games.  Be ready for it....

Keep in mind that the Big Three in florida is now the big 4 with USF firmly planted in the mix.  Get used to seeing us in the Top 25 as I promise we will be there for many years to come...

• Content Count:  695

Surely not you, Colby.

Yeah, and it's not like your always trying to shove your opinions down peoples throats about how an on campus stadium would be so much better than one of the NFL's top stadiums while living in a completely different state or anything like that.

• Content Count:  9,822
  • Days Won:  9

Incredibull, your math was off.  The UNC game was a 27 point win which is nearly 4 TDs (and 4 XP), not 3 TDs.  You identified it incorrectly in your response.  It could have been more in his face with the correct wording.

Archived