USF #2 in BCS

outrunner

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

if the AP was still being used we would be #1

the hater coaches and Harris (old coaches) tradition trumps wins on the field or we would be ranked #1 or 2

we just need to keep winning

beat Rutgers!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,738

Being in the Midwest, where there was no second game on FOX, I got to watch the announcement live.

None of the commentators said anything terribly interesting.

Curt Menefee did most of the talking. He argued that the computers like USF because they'd beaten Auburn and West Virginia, and made the usual argument about the Bulls' body of work.

Johnson made some stupid "computers don't watch football" comment.

Terry Bradshaw compared us to Boise State, but it was more in context of "teams can come out of nowhere and have seasons like this now." He pretended to be enthusiastic about it, though I get the feeling it was his assigned position, a la ESPN. Bradshaw's dumber than a sack of hammers, so I don't take anything he says too seriously.

Jimmy Johnson said something to the effect of "USF has a lot of tough games left, with Rutgers and Louisville." And "the West Virginia game was at home", as if that invalidated it. This from a guy who won a national championship game playing 8 of 12 games at home, including the national title game.

Which also was interesting in that much of the discussion was about how LSU and Ohio State have a relatively light schedule the rest of the way. Nobody pointed out that Ohio State has also had a relatively light schedule so far. Which makes me wonder: if USF-Rutgers and USF-Louisville are hard games, and Ohio State-Michigan, Auburn-LSU and the SEC Championship Game are easy ones, where does that put the "the Big East is light years behind all the real conferences" argument they trot out the rest of the time?

All in all, it's nothing worth getting upset about. If USF continues to win, they will deserve to play in the BCS title game. If they lose a game, they won't. So none of these fool opinions really matters.

Nice post.  I wouldn't say LSU has had it easy, but Ohio State should be embarrassed at their schedule.  Kent State?  Akron? Youngstown State?  Do they play schools outside the state of Ohio?  Give me a break.  Their tough games thus far have been Washington and Purdue.  Purdue has been exposed.  Washington isn't ranked.  The rest of their games are against schools that have been ranked at one time or another but have yet to prove themselves, ie Illinois, Wisconsin, Penn State, Michigan.  All of these teams have failed to live up to the hype.

I'm not saying Ohio State is no good.  But how do you know how good they are?  They haven't played anybody.

Just curious... has ANY team ever gone from unranked to #1 in a season? (This would be for the AP poll).

Yes. It has happened quite often, actually.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,336
  • Days Won:  30

Being #2 is awesome ... winning the rest will cure all.

I'm not concerned at all ... especially since we have 6 games to go.

Beat Rutgers & Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  2,661

I'm not saying Ohio State is no good.  But how do you know how good they are?  They haven't played anybody.

I wouldn't say they've "played nobody", but you simply have to question the validity of the Big Ten this year. Their non-league results are a stupid joke and it's about time somebody called them on it.

Other than beating up hapless Notre Dame, the entire league's signature win is Ohio State over Washington (2-4, 0-3). After that, you've got a choice of Wisconsin-Washington State (2-5, 0-4), Illinois-Syracuse (1-6, 1-2), Iowa-Syracuse, or Michigan State-Pittsburgh (coached by Dave Wannstedt).

Oregon destroyed Michigan. Missouri beat Illinois. Iowa State's only win is against Iowa. Duke's only I-A win in 30 games is against Northwestern. Minnesota lost to FAU and Bowling Green. And we all know what Appalachian State did.

I can only hope that the Big Ten's general suckitude will cost the Buckeyes in the computer polls.

• Content Count:  4,738

You gotta believe the lack of quality opponents will lead to OSU getting bounced once they face a good team.  And if it doesn;t until a bowl game the nation will know for two straight years the Big Ten is a cupcake league.

• Content Count:  294

I don't give a flying fig tree what Johnson or any others in college football's version of good cop-bad cop have to say. It's meaningless. If we get through the season w/o a loss -- which we all know is possible, but certainly not guaranteed, we will have a chance. We're here. We're here Jimmy boy, and you and the rest of your ilk have been powerless to stop that.

Congratulations to Jim Leavitt and his AMAZING Bulls.

Finish Strong Bulls -- your fans, the students and alumni love ya!

• Content Count:  8

Very happy for you guys. I'm very happy with BC being #3. Congrats!

• Content Count:  6,586
  • Days Won:  2

This is getting us recognition in the area.  Everyone has been giving us the horns and asking if we know that we are number 2.

• Content Count:  4,642

omg pinch me

Archived