USF #2 in AP poll

TRUTH D. Antagonist

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Days Won:  0

Good luck on Saturday (even though you know we will be pulling against you guys). I do like any non-traditional team making some noise.

We get a bye week, then against VT on next Thursday. If you crush Rutgirls, you could jump us in the poll.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we should be above BC at the least considering we have beaten TWO Top 25 teams and BC has beaten ... oh wait, that's right they haven't played a single Top 25 team.

GT was #15 when we beat them. If we beat VT on 10/25 will you accept BC as a top team?

whats a bc fan doing on our message board anyways?

Came out to congratulate you guys on a magical season, thought I'd stick around and defend BC's top 5 position.

• Content Count:  43

We have no problem with BC being in the top 5. Just not ahead of us. :-\

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

we should be above BC at the least considering we have beaten TWO Top 25 teams and BC has beaten ... oh wait, that's right they haven't played a single Top 25 team.

GT was #15 when we beat them. If we beat VT on 10/25 will you accept BC as a top team?

I think we already accept BC as a top team.  We just don't feel they should be ahead of USF in the polls based on this year's performance.  Last week BC jumped USF based on BC's convincing victory and our poor performance against a not-so-good FAU team.  This week it seemed was almost the exact opposite and many USF fans thought the polls would correct themselves.  Of course ND still gets credit in the minds of many, but this year they are probably as good or worse than FAU. 

It really is way to early in the season to be worried about all this stuff.  Both Boston College and USF have a lot of tough games before they need to worry about rankings.

• Content Count:  9,822
  • Days Won:  9

No doubt about it in my mind, BC will lose one game this year.  The question is will we?

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

BC has a tough remaining schedule. They'll lose a game.

It's OSU I don't like - a cupcake schedule left. Just like the year before, they'll prance into the NC game on a pathetic SOS. But that's okay - I think LSU would probably have beaten us, but I like our chances against Ohio State...  ;D

OSU doesn't have a "cupcake" schedule...

10/20 Mich St 3:30 PM

10/27 at Penn State 8:00 PM

11/03 #19 Wisconsin TBD

11/10 #18 Illinois TBD

11/17 at Michigan TBD

The problem is USF and Hawaii are probably going to be the only two undefeated teams... which means 1-loss teams will get a hard look from the human pollsters -- so I could see LSU and Southern Cal ahead of USF if both win out from here... and that sucks.

That looks like a cup cake schedule to me... you can take those rankings away from Wisconsin and Illinois when the polls come out later today.  Add the rest of their schedule in there and Purdue was dropped from the polls this week.  Good chance OSU doesn't have to play an "end of the season" top 25 team all year and they almost certainly don't play a top 10 or even top 15. 

09/01 YSU W 38-6

09/08 Akron W 20-2

09/15 at Washington W 33-14

09/22 N'western W 58-7

09/29 at Minnesota W 30-7

10/06 at #23 Purdue W 23-7

10/13 Kent St

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Came out to congratulate you guys on a magical season, thought I'd stick around and defend BC's top 5 position.

Adam:

Thanks for stopping by!  I'm from Boston originally, so I have a soft spot in my heart for BC.  Even played some youth soccer on the turf of Alumni Stadium as a kid.

That being said, I think if BC didn't struggle against a 1-AA team, we'd probably have less of a problem with their ranking.  As it is, nobody can do anything except win the games in front of them, and the polls will fall where they may.

GO BULLS!

Matt

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,334
  • Days Won:  30

[glow=yellow,2,300]Rankings at the time don't count.[/glow] Beating VaTech would be a quality win.

BC was just ranked high at the beginning and too many voters hate to admit they are wrong.

Go BULLS !!!

ET -- Rankings at the time DO count.  See USF-Auburn or USF-WVU.  Sure, Auburn and WVU are back in the polls now, but if we are gonna hang our hats on where they were when we beat them.  We have to let other teams do that, too.

I don't ... CURRENTLY WVU is a Top 10 Team and Auburn is a Top 25 team.

OSU doesn't have a "cupcake" schedule...

10/20 Mich St 3:30 PM

10/27 at Penn State 8:00 PM

11/03 #19 Wisconsin TBD

11/10 #18 Illinois TBD

11/17 at Michigan TBD

yeah, but they havent played ANY of those games yet...  so being ranked #1 at this point is ridiculous.

if UConn had won at Virginia, they would have had a similar schedule to OSU thus far.  bunch of cupcakes with one win over a 20-30 ranked team.

Faza was pointing out that Ohio State's remaining schedule is "cupcake" and that they would "prance" into the NCG.  I disagree... if they run the table with that schedule, they deserve to be there.  I don't think they will... all five games are going to be very tough for a Buckeye team that has not really been challenged yet.

On the other hand, while USF has some tough games remaining, USF has played some tough games already... so the players and coaches know what they need to do to win.

Adam:

Thanks for stopping by!  I'm from Boston originally, so I have a soft spot in my heart for BC.  Even played some youth soccer on the turf of Alumni Stadium as a kid.

That being said, I think if BC didn't struggle against a 1-AA team, we'd probably have less of a problem with their ranking.  As it is, nobody can do anything except win the games in front of them, and the polls will fall where they may.

GO BULLS!

Matt

Over on EagleInsider, our theory is that our new OC was keeping the playbook closed so we'd have plays that will shock VT. Also, it was UMass, which is likely to beat App State this year. While I wish that we had blown them out by 40, I was happy to walk away with a win. That's all, as fans, we can do. Be happy with the wins.

Archived