ESPN Radio

Don Toro

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

On the Mike Tirico show:

"Should South Florida make it to the National Championship game if they go undefeated?"

Fowler and Kirk said "No because they only have one ranked team left on their schedule. USC still gotta play Oregon, ASU, blah, blah, blah. Also style points matter, and they didn't look that good against the Burrowing Owls." And then they all laughed like idiots. 

Listen, I know the chances of us making it to the MNC are slim, but what gets me is when these people don't talk about all the facts. How about Boston College squeaker against a I-AA ( and no, I don't care if its a rivalry game) or USC and OK losing to unranked teams? How is it more impressive to lose to unranked teams than actually squeaking by them? I am happy for the season we are having so far, but that doesn't mean I should smile whenever I hear idiotic comments like that.

• Content Count:  481
  • Days Won:  2

And what about Ohio State.  Who exactly have they played besides an over-rated Purdue team?  It is all based on tradition folks and we ain't got it.

• Content Count:  22,785
  • Days Won:  53

None of this blather matters until the end of the season.  How many upsets have we seen this year?  Who knows what could happen.  They did the right thing with the NC game last year so let's just wait and see.

The talking heads are going to give us some crap for that FAU game, I mean I give us crap for that game and I am a big fan.  Imagine someone who already thinks we are overrated.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Just win the Big East, and everything will line up into place. Enjoy the ride, and try not to worry so much about what other people think about us.

• Content Count:  585

Just win the Big East, and everything will line up into place. Enjoy the ride, and try not to worry so much about what other people think about us.

Exactly. Just win your games and everybody will shut up. Remember you can't please everybody. As a razorback fan, I would love to be in your position. #5 in the nation,got a good coach,got a good defense.

• Content Count:  563

A Rivalry game with a 1-aa team????That says it all!

• Content Count:  1,016

At least the BCS computers have been objective.  They have us at #2.  Lots of football left to be played.

A Rivalry game with a 1-aa team????That says it all!

No.  It's like USF and UCF.  For USF, it's just another game.  For UCF, it's their game of the year.

So it is with UMass and BC.  For BC it was just another game.  For UMass it was their game of the year.  Why should anyone be surprised if UMass played better than expected and BC played worse than expected.

If USF hadn't played FAU last week, and isntead played UCF, chances are we might have lost.  USF was still way hungover from the WVU win and the Top 10 ranking.  We we out hustled... pushed around.  Luckily we had big advantage in the level of talent on our side of the ball (players and coaches) to do the right things to win in the end. 

For UCF, the advantage is not as great (it's there, just not as great as btween USF and FAU).  Lucky for us, FAU woke us up... snapped us out of the "Top Of The World" stupor.  Now the players and coaches are back to being hungry again... and back before a home crowd, too.

I tell you -- given the way USF plays on the road, that Rutgers game is scaring me. Thankfully they have Syracuse to take out their vengance on for the last two losses.  I couldn't imagine going on the road to face a Rutgers looking to stop a skid...

• Content Count:  118

The feeling I get with Chris Fowler is that he is not on the USF bandwagon - at all.  When he helped broadcast the Miami/Texas A&M game, the "Florida" rankings were out with UF ranked 1st, USF ranked 2nd, and so on.  And, he posed the question to the others in the booth along the lines of "Are you on board with what USF has done so far?"  And, his tone was not positive.

As for Herbie, I get the feeling he only votes for us where he votes for us, because he feels he has to.  I get the feeling that he wants to vote for others, but our undefeated record keeps him from doing so.  This is why he votes us 4th in the AP poll and leaves us out of his top 5 on tv.

My personal opinion is that I don't care.  If we win out, the other teams will knock each other off.  The computers will be for us and our sos.  Meanwhile, the coaches and those in the Harris poll will see USF with an undefeated record and the others with losses and will be just like Herbie and feel compelled to vote us in the NC game - even though they feel we do not deserve it.

Also, one more thing.  When the BCS standings are presented, one thing that WILL be brought up is how the computer polls are for USF.  This, in turn, will be something that is talked about and planted in the minds of the coaches and in the minds of the Harris poll.

So...

JUST WIN JIM!!!

FINISH STRONG!!!

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

THEY will never let us in the MNC game this year.  How many times has Penn State gone undefeated without winning the MNC?  3?  Auburn did not get to play in it 3 years ago and they play in the SEC.

Just keep winning.  All I care about, this year, is winning the Big East and going to either the Sugar or Orange Bowls.  If we go 13-0 and do not play for the NC, I will complain about it then.  Remember, if we lose one game it will be proof to THEM that we never belonged, hell THEY do it for games we won.  We are new and people hate change.  Our players and fans need to know it US versus THEM.  Kick the **** door in by performing onthe field and as fans, showing up being loud and supportive, and at 13-0 make OUR claim.

Archived