Do we get to have Big East officials again this week?

BullBullBullBullBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  104
  • Days Won:  0

Well if it makes you feel better, I hope we don't need any reviews to beat you this weekend.

Yeah, I didn't even bother to respond to that in your earlier post because the accusation is so asinine.  [glow=yellow,2,300]I've been around here FOREVER under a different screen name.[/glow]  Yours seems to fit you.  Perhaps you're the pot referring to the kettle?

Turkeysoup, is that you?

My previous screen name should be fairly easy to figure out based upon my current screen name... there is a subtle link there.  I'd prefer to just keep the name I always used, but Brad recommended I change it <start mysterious music>.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,982
  • Days Won:  436

My previous screen name should be fairly easy to figure out based upon my current screen name...

Quintuple_B?

• Content Count:  1,911

My guess is lots of bull.

I figured the chain guys were in the same boat as the officials as far as the conferences are concerned. I guess I was wrong. I wasn't a big fan of the officiating during the game, but when I watched the replay most of their calls were legit, we just got outplayed...fair and square.

• Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

Well if it makes you feel better, I hope we don't need any reviews to beat you this weekend.

Yeah, I didn't even bother to respond to that in your earlier post because the accusation is so asinine.  I've been around here FOREVER under a different screen name.  Yours seems to fit you.  Perhaps you're the pot referring to the kettle?

GHBP?

• Content Count:  32

If you are a Bulls fan B.B.B.B.B., my apologies, please message me and come by my tailgate for a beer. I could see how such an accusation could make a person spit acid.

But you might see how I could confuse you with one with the initial 'bogus' comment.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that when I saw it, it looked to me like a legit penalty. I had roughly the same angle as the ref, so he very likely came to the same conclusion honestly (but it sounds like wrongly). As opposed to the accusation I've seen on other message boards about Big East refs initentionally doing this, which is absurd.

If you are a Bulls fan B.B.B.B.B., my apologies, please message me and come by my tailgate for a beer. I could see how such an accusation could make a person spit acid.

But you might see how I could confuse you with one with the initial 'bogus' comment.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that when I saw it, it looked to me like a legit penalty. I had roughly the same angle as the ref, so he very likely came to the same conclusion honestly (but it sounds like wrongly). As opposed to the accusation I've seen on other message boards about Big East refs initentionally doing this, which is absurd.

No problem.  In this instance, I was just calling it as I see from a football fan perspective, rather than a Bulls fan perspective.

I don't think BE refs, or any conference refs, blatantly and intentionally make "homer" calls, but I think they ALL do it (not necessarily every official, but every group of conference officials).  It's just plain 'ol human nature.  You see a group of teams week in and week out, those teams pay your salary, you are going to acquire an "affinity" for those teams over time.  It may be unintentional, but ocassionally, that bias is going to be reflected in the way you call a penalty.

Seriously, when BE refs are sitting at home watching USF vs. Auburn, who do you think they're rooting for?  And who do you think the SEC refs are rooting for?

Seriously, when BE refs are sitting at home watching USF vs. Auburn, who do you think they're rooting for?  And who do you think the SEC refs are rooting for?

I'd be surprised to find out that the officials give a crap about that .... Why would they?

I'd be surprised to find out that the officials give a crap about that .... Why would they?

WHAT??????

I guess I could be off base, but it seems pretty logical to me.  First off, I would think that its pretty obvious that most football officials are football fans.  It only stands to reason.  If they are an official, then they have some attraction to the game.  I guess you could make a "leave the office at the office" argument, but with sports I think its different.

So if you go with the idea that they are fans of the game to begin with, and that they watch games for entertainment for the rest of us, then they are going to choose something to decide who to root for or against in any particular game.  Certainly there are a lot of factors that go into that - many of the same factors that anyone else would use.  But to suggest that the fact that these officials "know" the teams and the players of the conference they are affiliated with isn't one of those factors is, IMHO, a bit naive.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,894
  • Days Won:  6

Dump the conference official system.  There should just be a pool of Division I officials monitored and randomly scheduled by the NCAA.  Then you would never get into these homer debates.

WHAT??????

I guess I could be off base, but it seems pretty logical to me.  First off, I would think that its pretty obvious that most football officials are football fans.  It only stands to reason.  If they are an official, then they have some attraction to the game.  I guess you could make a "leave the office at the office" argument, but with sports I think its different.

So if you go with the idea that they are fans of the game to begin with, and that they watch games for entertainment for the rest of us, then they are going to choose something to decide who to root for or against in any particular game.  Certainly there are a lot of factors that go into that - many of the same factors that anyone else would use.  But to suggest that the fact that these officials "know" the teams and the players of the conference they are affiliated with isn't one of those factors is, IMHO, a bit naive.

They are fans of the game and they probably all graduated from college so that would be where their rooting loyalties lie. My thinking is that they go out of their way to not get drawn into any rooting type situations for the conference they work in so as to not EVER be tempted while doing a game.... plus, they're usually working when those games are on tv so they wouldn't be watching, anyway .  ;)

Archived