Companion tickets - a sad sight

WWMJD

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,809
  • Days Won:  213

so I guess it is safe to say that they didn't give those students who went to the FAU game any consideration for being a road warrior?

that's a shame. Hope all those students get tickets. 12501 tickets is a lot of tickets-- or so you would think.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  594
  • Days Won:  0

1. Reselling companion tickets for a profit is one of the lowest things you can do. Of course, it would be easily fixed by writing the USF ID number of the person who bought them on teh tickets themselves, then requiring the person entering the stadium with the companion ticket to be accompanied by the person with that USF ID.

2. Laws against scalping tickets are ridiculous. You can resell any other item in the world for a profit if it increases in value -- what makes tickets any different? Static pricing schemes are to blame, and firms really need to learn new ways of selling tickets (i.e. take an advanced microeconomics course) because there's no reason scalpers should be making a profit instead of the University (or insert firm here).

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

so I guess it is safe to say that they didn't give those students who went to the FAU game any consideration for being a road warrior?

that's a shame. Hope all those students get tickets. 12501 tickets is a lot of tickets-- or so you would think.

They did not.  They are completely sold out and turning people away.  Disgraceful showing by those students who had no respect for their classmates.  If any of you know people that did this, please tell them they make the rest of the students look bad. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,809
  • Days Won:  213

I'm really in favor of ending the companion ticket situation. Now whether that would stop the situation completely (you might still get people trying to sell the student ticket)-- atleast all students would have a shot at getting what seats are made available.

THis is all pretty interesting-- it seems like our demand for seats is HUGE--- and that in turn will show up huge when season ticket sales open up again. We may jump in season ticket sales by 10K or more next season, even with a less than amazing schedule compared to the odd year seasons (WVU, UL, Cinci at home)

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

wow, that sucks.

I hope they stop companion tickets for next season.

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

What I didn't understand is why they were telling people near the entrance at 5:15 that there were no companion tickets left, only student tickets, and then when we finally got to go through the line and get our tickets, they said at the customer service window that they "still had hundreds left for the lower bowl". They were all over the place today

• Content Count:  695

Well hopefully they come to the satellite campuses either tomorrow or Tuesday like they did with West Virginia, I still don't know if I can go to the game though.

• Content Count:  2,527

Hey, while I don't approve, I have paid over 600 dollars this semester for books and class supplies.

Bad ethics isn't students trying to get beer money, it's a guy running an online class with 750 students that sells a book he wrote (that sucks) for 200 bucks. Oh, and you need a new key code to do you homework, so even if you buy it used, you still need to pay 90 bucks for a code.

Math class? I now how remote controlled clickers I'll never use again for anything in my major...

I use to raise hell when I was at USF over the price of textbooks. It is so disgustingl and unethical for a professor to author his own textbook and then turn around and sell it for 110 dollars. It is the most gutter filth thing I have ever seen.  Then they would change the chapeters or a few sentences around and issue a "new edition." so that the old ones didn't work.  Half the time you didn't even need the 14 textbooks that they require.

What a crock.  Its pathetic.

As for the companion tickets,  I don't really see that much proftibility in waiting in line for 4 hrs to re-sell a ticket that you purchased for 20 bucks -- and sell for 50.  4 hrs for 30 bucks -- that is $7.50 an hour. 

waste of time

Um, the professor does not set the price of the book.  The publisher sets the price of the book.

Lets see, would you rather go to a podunk, half-assed university where the professors are too stupid and too lazy to write textbooks while using a textbook written by some other professor?

Who do you think writes textbooks?  Daniel Steele?  Tom Clancy?

While the price of text books are insane, the publishers are the main source of the outrageous prices.  I would gladly take a course by a professor who wrote the book for the class.

• Content Count:  3,307

I took one class where the "textbook" was actually a series of essays and studies that the professor got permission to reprint. You bought the book at ProCopy instead of the bookstore. And it still cost like $50 for all the royalties and printing and binding.

Do you know how long it takes to write a textbook? Especially a first edition? First the professor has to sit down and write 400 or 500 pages. If they need one, they also have to write a problem workbook and answer key. Then they have to write a lecturer's edition with extra information in it. Then they have to source everything that isn't their own material. Then they have to have it peer reviewed and maybe even tested by a real live class to make sure it's accurate. Then it has to be reviewed by a book editor so it actually makes sense. THEN it get published. It's a lot harder than just writing a novel, and the authors deserve to be compensated well because they're not going to sell a million copies of it and they probably don't get anything out of the used-book sales.

• Content Count:  5,903

Nothing wrong with reselling tickets. It's not unethical or immoral for crying out loud.

If you don't like it, write to athletics and telling them to stop selling the companion tickets period or tell them to increase the price and erode the "resellers" profit. People do it because there is a profit to be had. Happens with everything and anything in the world.

Archived