Companion tickets - a sad sight

WWMJD

Those students that are turning around and selling them should be reported to UPD for scalping tickets, and athletics should revoke their ticket privlage for further games.

Unfortunately scalping tickets is not illegal in FL anymore.

Scalping is illegal unless you sell them through websites like eBay or StubHub ... the buyer has to have some protection that the ticket is legal or they can get a refund.

It is, in fact, illegal for anyone to sell tickets for more than $1 above face value person to person.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Scalping is illegal unless you sell them through websites like eBay or StubHub ... the buyer has to have some protection that the ticket is legal or they can get a refund.

It is, in fact, illegal for anyone to sell tickets for more than $1 above face value person to person.

Jim, that law was repealed this year.  No longer illegal.  In this case, just terribly immoral.

Edit - Although I do believe that you still can't sell at the exact location of the game.  This is why the scalpers stand on the street corners for the Lightning games, etc. rather than on the plaza.  Don't know how on campus/Ray J fits into that, though.  I assume that USF could disallow secondary ticket sales on campus if they wanted.  Still not illegal though.

• Content Count:  565
  • Days Won:  0

You want to know the one thing that really pissed me off. I got in line at 11:00am. A group of 3 girls showed up right after me. By 1:30, it was 30 of their sorority sisters, who were all getting companion tickets for the rest of the sorority. I don't mind getting the tickets like that, but it was that they all jumped in line infront of several hundered people. This is why they need a sign-in sheet or a number system to prevent this sort of thing.

The other thing that's bugging me is the times being changed. When you say tickets go out at 6:00, stick with 6:00. Don't go early just because you can. If you start going early, then people will start getting there earlier. People start getting their earlier, you start moving the time up earlier. 6:00, no if ands or buts.

We got about 20 people that cut in line kicked out because they skipped in line, including one ******* that promised to see me on the other side of the Sun Dome.... But here I am.

If they opened up the whole Sun Dome, and not just 3,000 seats of it, they could have let everyone in at once. I was outside from 2:30-6:45, and finally just got home.

• Content Count:  7,796

Now I'm just mad. I just checked the Facebook marketplace (classifieds), and there are already people selling them on there. Two that really set me off were one greek girl auctioning a ticket starting at $50, and another guy who is starting his auction at $80. There are people still in line waiting to get tickets outside the sundome, while these half-ass Bulls make a buck. I almost feel like writing those people and telling them how pathetic it is of them to take advantage of their fellow students like that. I really want the athletic department to go after these people now.  >:( >:( >:(

Jim, that law was repealed this year.  No longer illegal.  In this case, just terribly immoral.

Edit - Although I do believe that you still can't sell at the exact location of the game.  This is why the scalpers stand on the street corners for the Lightning games, etc. rather than on the plaza.  Don't know how on campus/Ray J fits into that, though.  I assume that USF could disallow secondary ticket sales on campus if they wanted.  Still not illegal though.

Actually, the law was changed in 2006... it reads funny, but here is the description from the 2006 bill analysis prepared by the Florida House of Representatives:

The bill also provides an exception to the criminal penalty for non-park tickets resold at any price, so long as

the resale is made through an Internet website and the website operator makes and posts certain guarantees

and disclosures to which a prospective purchaser is directed before completing the resale transaction.

Section 817.36, Florida Statutes, reads:

817.36  Resale of tickets.-- Whoever shall offer for resale or resell any ticket may only charge $1 above the admission price charged therefor by the original ticket seller of said ticket for the following transactions:

(1)  Passage or accommodations on any common carrier in this state; however, the provisions of this subsection shall not apply to travel agencies that have an established place of business in this state, which place of business is required to pay state, county, and city occupational license taxes.

(2)  Multiday or multievent tickets to a park or entertainment complex or to a concert, entertainment event, permanent exhibition, or recreational activity within such a park or complex, including an entertainment/resort complex as defined in s. 561.01(18).

(3)  Any tickets, other than the tickets in subsections (1) and (2), that are resold or offered through an Internet website, unless such website is authorized by the original ticket seller or makes and posts the following guarantees and disclosures through Internet web pages on which are visibly posted, or links to web pages on which are posted, text to which a prospective purchaser is directed before completion of the resale transaction:

(a)  The website operator guarantees a full refund of the amount paid for the ticket including any servicing, handling, or processing fees, if such fees are not disclosed, when:

1.  The ticketed event is canceled;

2.  The purchaser is denied admission to the ticketed event, unless such denial is due to the action or omission of the purchaser;

3.  The ticket is not delivered to the purchaser in the manner requested and pursuant to any delivery guarantees made by the reseller and such failure results in the purchaser's inability to attend the ticketed event.

(B)  The website operator discloses that it is not the issuer, original seller, or reseller of the ticket or items and does not control the pricing of the ticket or items, which may be resold for more than their original value.

(4)  Nothing in this section authorizes any individual or entity to sell or purchase tickets at any price on property where an event is being held without the prior express written consent of the owner of the property.

(5)  Any sales tax due for resales under this section shall be remitted to the Department of Revenue in accordance with s. 212.04.

• Content Count:  12,293

its a situation where you cant please everyone.  im just glad i have season tickets and dont have to deal with this mess

• Content Count:  158

It was kind of odd to see how few people got up in the Sun Dome when they said for those getting JUST the student ticket to go, while 80-85% stayed for companions.

I don't necessarily disagree with the comments about screwing over other students, I bought a companion ticket with the intention of bringing my friend from another school... but plan on selling it if she can't come. Do I become a bad person then?

• Content Count:  385

No ticket for me - SCREW COMPANION TICKET SELLERS.

I still want to buy a ticket, but I'm not buying a companion ticket. Let the real fans attend the game.

• Content Count:  47

Hey, while I don't approve, I have paid over 600 dollars this semester for books and class supplies.

Bad ethics isn't students trying to get beer money, it's a guy running an online class with 750 students that sells a book he wrote (that sucks) for 200 bucks. Oh, and you need a new key code to do you homework, so even if you buy it used, you still need to pay 90 bucks for a code.

Math class? I now how remote controlled clickers I'll never use again for anything in my major...

I use to raise hell when I was at USF over the price of textbooks. It is so disgustingl and unethical for a professor to author his own textbook and then turn around and sell it for 110 dollars. It is the most gutter filth thing I have ever seen.  Then they would change the chapeters or a few sentences around and issue a "new edition." so that the old ones didn't work.  Half the time you didn't even need the 14 textbooks that they require.

What a crock.  Its pathetic.

As for the companion tickets,  I don't really see that much proftibility in waiting in line for 4 hrs to re-sell a ticket that you purchased for 20 bucks -- and sell for 50.  4 hrs for 30 bucks -- that is $7.50 an hour.  

waste of time

• Content Count:  7,796

It was kind of odd to see how few people got up in the Sun Dome when they said for those getting JUST the student ticket to go, while 80-85% stayed for companions.

I don't necessarily disagree with the comments about screwing over other students, I bought a companion ticket with the intention of bringing my friend from another school... but plan on selling it if she can't come. Do I become a bad person then?

That's understandable. You didn't buy it with the intention of selling it. These people did. It's only right that you sell it to recover your losses of $16 (as long as it's a USF fan).

Archived