Why couldn't our defense shut FAU down? (Serious question)

Griggsy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  60
  • Days Won:  0

FAU had a great gameplan to negate USF's defensive speed.  They ran right at the D, and ran a lot of misdirection plays off play-action.  That was also the worst tackling from USF's D that I can remember in a long time.

Also, FAU was sky high and USF was flat.  Not unexpected.  USF heard all week how great they were and how can they be exited to play FAU?  The situation set up perfectly for the Owls. 

The good news is USF won.

Your QB Grothe, didn't think you guys came out flat. These are his words.

"I don't think we came out flat," Grothe said. "A few early turnovers got us down and it took a while to get back up."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=272792226&confId=37

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,451

FAU had a great gameplan to negate USF's defensive speed.  They ran right at the D, and ran a lot of misdirection plays off play-action.  That was also the worst tackling from USF's D that I can remember in a long time.

Also, FAU was sky high and USF was flat.  Not unexpected.  USF heard all week how great they were and how can they be exited to play FAU?  The situation set up perfectly for the Owls. 

"I don't think we came out flat," Grothe said. "A few early turnovers got us down and it took a while to get back up."

FAUFB...I don't believe the Bulls were flat.  I know they weren't as high as they were vs Auburn or WVU.  IMO the turnovers really subdued the Bulls and energized the Owls.  The Owl WRs played an inspired game.  If they wooda played a perfect game the Bulls would not be undefeated today.  USF has had issues going on the road in the past.  Playing at Rutgers & UCONN will be big tests for the Bulls.  8 TOs in two weeks...hopefully the Bulls are done with that type of kay wrap.

• Content Count:  47

The FAU quarterback was the best throwing QB we have seen all year.

Guy has a great arm and makes good throws.  His recievers kept dropping balls.

Our weakness is clearly the inside rush defense.

We were getting mowed over.

• Content Count:  12,678
  • Days Won:  25

Here's a few very plain and simple facts;

1) FAU wanted this game more than USF

2) USF is flat out lucky to be 5 - 0, not 4 - 1.

3) USF was out coached and out played.

4) USF is a better football team than FAU.

5) Matt Grothe has no clue how to work a game clock.

6) I'm still upset with the effort of the team as a whole.

GO BULLS!

FINISH STRONG!

• Content Count:  60

FAUFB...I don't believe the Bulls were flat.  I know they weren't as high as they were vs Auburn or WVU.  IMO the turnovers really subdued the Bulls and energized the Owls.  The Owl WRs played an inspired game.  If they wooda played a perfect game the Bulls would not be undefeated today.  USF has had issues going on the road in the past.  Playing at Rutgers & UCONN will be big tests for the Bulls.   8 TOs in two weeks...hopefully the Bulls are done with that type of kay wrap.

I don't believe the Bulls were flat either, nor do I think they were looking past FAU. I do feel that FAU played an inspired game, but on defense. One of our weaknesses is our WR's. They drop a lot of passes. If you saw FAU on a regular basis, you would understand. I their defense they are young. The play by #88 TE Jason Harmon, where he leaped over the DB, is actually a signature move of his. That kid is amazing.

No sour grapes here though. It is very tough to a team's psyche when there are 3 missed FG's, especially for a team as young as ours. You guys know that all too well, but like in your Auburn game, if it was last year it would have been tough on you guys, just like it was tough for us yesterday. We had our chances, but everything just didn't line up for us.

See you guys on 10-2-2010 @ RayJay.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I don't know about the offense, but our defense was definitely flat.  It sure looked like the WVU game took a little out of them.  The only other time I have seen as many missed tackles, that I can remember was in the 2004 Army game. 

At this point, in order for any team to beat USF they have to bring it to us hard for a full 60 minutes.  Yeah, this game was ugly and closer than we would have liked, but the reality is that when we really needed them to, the defense sucked it up and stopped FAU when they needed to.  The defense stepped up and stopped them with 2 four down series on their last two possessions.  The didn't give up a first down in those last 2 series.

I am looking for this defense to be back in form for these next two games.  It's not easy to stay up at such a peak emotional level for four games in a row and playing an unranked FAU after such an emotional and hard hitting game against WVU had to lead to a let down. 

You also have to give FAU credit.  They came prepared to play and were well coached.

• Content Count:  162

One thing that stuck out in my mind was the lack of turnovers until the 4th quarter, their guys held onto the ball and ran hard.  We almost got bit by the same thing that killed WV and AUB in the way of turnovers.

• Content Count:  253

I was at the game and haven't had time to watch it again, but from what I saw, they rolled their quarterback out away from Selvie.  They threw alot of sideline throws where the receiver was the only one who had a chance of catching it. 

Archived