ESPN GAME DAY: "USF #5? ...No way!"

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,584
  • Days Won:  2

All of the teams losing. 

The great USC loses to unranked Stanford.

I hear how good teams always find a way to win and it would seem that is what we did.

A lot of the "Good Old Boy " teams have lost to lesser opponents and listening to Corso and all, it would seem that no matter what we do, we don't deserve tp be ranked up there!!!!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,425
  • Days Won:  2

Good teams do find a way to win, we turned the ball over 4 times and still won by 12 on the road vs a decent team.

If they dont look good at home this week then maybe I'll worry some.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,894
  • Days Won:  6

Sports Center kept teasing tonight before ads with "and we'll let you know who is new to the top 5" when we come back.  When they finally got around to showing the poll graphic, they totally ignored USF.  They named 1-4 and then went right to 11-20.  It was very strange.

• Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah I mean I didn't think USF deserved to be top 5 either but after I did my own power rankings I couldn't put USF lower than 4. Oregon, and Oklahoma both lost and I can't put Boston College ahead of USF. They don't have the wins that we have, and they looked bad against Army and UMass. I will admit that we didn't look good against Florida Atlantic, but the win over Auburn looks much better right now and the win over West Virginia is better than we're being given credit for. The Mountaineers are still an elite team.

• Content Count:  71

FAU is a very good team.  There is no doubt in my mind that FAU would beat FSU.

• Content Count:  1,433

Corso has had a problem with USF as long as I can remember and I guarantee you he picks UCF to beat us next week.  Again.

• Content Count:  134

I hate the Game Day crew and ESPN.  You have to realize they are there for ratings so they try to pump up the teams that have the biggest market.  In my thoughts, they're probably thinking that USF doesn't have the kind of following Oklahoma, LSU, USC, UF, or Cal has.  So of course they are going to try to pimp those teams matchups to get the best ratings possible.

As far as the Game Day crew goes, back in 04 when we were on our way to the undefeated season, Herbstreit and Corso both said that if we beat Tenn. in the conference championship, they would have to put us at the #2 spot....well we beat them and the rest is history.  Coach Tubs even called out Herbstreit while he was a guest on a local station. 

Piss poor people if you ask me.

Go Bulls, War Eagle

• Content Count:  382

A top five team finds a way to win even on their worst day.......and let's hope yesterday was our worst day.

Do these idiots decide who wins the BE?  Who plays for a national championship?  Who cares about their top five. The only ranking I care about is the AP and next week the BCS.

• Content Count:  3,403

Fowler, Corso, & Howard are right.

The way we looked yesterday against the 90th ranked defense, there is no way I would put us ahead of BC.

Oregon I do not agree with -- seeing as how they have a LOSS and everything -- but BC deserves to jump ahead of us.

That's what we get for eeking out an UGLY win against a pretty pedestrian team.

Now, sugar-coat away guys.....

I normally agree with most of what you say regarding looking objectively and considering the negatives as well as the positives, but I have to disagree on a couple points:

-FAU is a lot better than we or anyone else gives them credit for.  They beat Minnesota and gave UK a game up until the half.  We played poorly, but they are a lot better than you make it sound here.

-BC struggled vs. UMass, who is a I-AA team.  We beat FAU on the road by more than BC beat UMass at home.  I'm no expert, but I am confident that if FAU played UMass, FAU would slaughter them.  In addition, BC has *zero* quality wins, whereas we have wins vs. #5 and #17.

Good points.

Still, you know most of the voters are very much of the mindset, "what have you done for me lately."

Interesting you should say that.  Oklahoma got blown out several years back by K-State in the Big 12 championship game and still remained the #2 team and then got blown out by USC in the national title game.  That sure wasn't "what have you done for me lately" mentality.  That was favoring Oklahoma.  Kinda like they are doing right now.

LSU is the only team in the nation with better wins than USF.  Most teams in the nation, including LSU, have looked bad at least one game this year.  The only team I can think of that hasn't struggled against a bad team is Cincy.

Objectively, we should at least be #4, which is about where the BCS polls have us.  I believe the computers have us 2nd, right where we should be.

That said, we could easily lose to UCF next week if we play the way we did against FAU.  However, we all said the same thing about playing Auburn the way we played Elon.

• Content Count:  3,403

A top five team finds a way to win even on their worst day.......and let's hope yesterday was our worst day.

Do these idiots decide who wins the BE?  Who plays for a national championship?  Who cares about their top five. The only ranking I care about is the AP and next week the BCS.

Yes, 2 gameday guys have AP votes.  I do wonder if ESPN will abandon using the AP Poll when the BCS comes out.  I imagine they will switch to that, because the only reason the AP Poll still matters is history and, more importantly, ESPN.

Archived