ESPN GAME DAY: "USF #5? ...No way!"

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,503
  • Days Won:  0

Who cares - just glad we are even in the disscussion.  Please , let us not sound like UF fans.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  157

At this point it is clear the polls are joke. A one loss team should not be ahead of most undefeated teams this far into the season (yes those undefeated teams that have played no one are the exception). Most teams are now into conference pay and have played all their cupcakes. So to see one loss teams ahead of a undefeated team, especially ones that have two quality wins vs. ranked teams, and with one coming on the road really pisses me off.  Looking at the game day top 5, which I normally really respect, I have no idea what they are thinking. Oregon in the top 5!?!? They where ideal, sit at 14, and have a loss. Ok in the top 5!?!? Lose to an unranked team and then beat an overrated TX team by 7 that were exposed by UCF and Kansas St.

We all know it's clear that they rank teams based on names and tradition. I think we are only as high as we are because a ton of teams lost last week. We beat FAU by 12, and should be ecstatic about that considering how we looked most of that game. Lets focus on UCF, beat their golden shower a$$es next week and go to NJ and take care of some Big East business.

• Content Count:  5,912
  • Days Won:  5

I think as much as all the upsets helped us last week, it is going to hurt us this week.

Now, we are lumped in with all of those bad teams that played out of their minds last week, and all those teams that lost last week deserve a second chance right? I mean, if only one big team lost last week, it would have been horrible, but if you are Oklahoma, at least you can say, well, we weren't the only ones.

The polls are BS, but I am not worried about it. Someone was saying that as the season goes on, style points mean more. I disagree, I think as the season goes on, it will be hard for them to keep 1 or 2 loss teams ahead of undefeated teams. If we keep winning, we will get up there. It's hard for them to justify it here in week 6, when it gets to be week 10, it will be nearly impossible to justify.

• Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

Keep winning and the respect will be given by ALL>

• Content Count:  498

All that matters is if we keep winning.  I we are undefeated after the cincy game we will probably be top 3.  I mean that game is shaping up to be a top 10 battle or at least a higher ranked battle than the WVU game.  We just need to put the FAU game behind us and win the next two.  The rankings wont matter if we lose to rutgers.

• Content Count:  159

With all due respect my friends, we are sounding like a bunch of whiny b*tches right now. The truth of the matter is we are ranked for the first time in USF history. A year ago this conversation wouldn't be on this board, unless we were talking about any team BUT USF. When you are ranked things change and suddenly there is a lot more pressure to win. But here's the good news ... JL is our coach and if he isn't the best **** coach in the NCAA for keeping your head and feet firmly out of the clouds I don't know who is. He does a great job managing our boys and ensuring that they are in the here and now and not worrying about the "what if's" ...

Might I also remind you all that the current defending National Champions (yeah, you know who I'm talking about) won a lot of ugly games last year and still were at #2 in the end. Personally I think that statement lends itself more credence to the "Good Ol' Boys" mentality that these polls seem to have as they are reluctant (at best) to put anyone that is new on their list, especially in the top 10. Fact is there is a paradigm shift going on and a lot more parity in football than ever before.

The bottom line, let us not get our heads too far in the clouds. Let us not worry too far ahead, especially when there is so much football left to play. Concentrate on the here and now, which in this case is UCiF. We can settle things on the field, and if any of you think that JL is going to let the sloppy play slide you guys don't know our coach at all. Believe me, he will be drilling them big time. Oh, and for anyone who is still wondering about Ford he was benched because he missed class. I'm glad for that. You are a student first, and it is a priviledge to be on the team. Get your education and be smart about what you do on (and off of) the field.

GO BULLS ... FINISH STRONG!

• Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Im sorry, but thats what the team should do and not the fans. 

I think if you dont see us complaining about the injustice in the polls it shows how "newbie" we are.  The fact is, while USF may be in new territory, most of us fans have been college football fans long before USF finally got a team and know how things work.  Do you think UF fans would be saying, "lets just appreciate where we are" if they were undefeated with 2 wins over top 25 teams and possibly have a 1 loss Oklahoma team ahead of them (who has played an easier schedule and has a loss)? 

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Fowler, Corso, & Howard are right.

The way we looked yesterday against the 90th ranked defense, there is no way I would put us ahead of BC.

Oregon I do not agree with -- seeing as how they have a LOSS and everything -- but BC deserves to jump ahead of us.

That's what we get for eeking out an UGLY win against a pretty pedestrian team.

Now, sugar-coat away guys.....

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

The way we looked yesterday against the 90th ranked defense, there is no way I would put us ahead of BC.

Oregon I do not agree with -- seeing as how they have a LOSS and everything -- but BC deserves to jump ahead of us.

I normally agree with most of what you say regarding looking objectively and considering the negatives as well as the positives, but I have to disagree on a couple points:

-FAU is a lot better than we or anyone else gives them credit for.  They beat Minnesota and gave UK a game up until the half.  We played poorly, but they are a lot better than you make it sound here.

-BC struggled vs. UMass, who is a I-AA team.  We beat FAU on the road by more than BC beat UMass at home.  I'm no expert, but I am confident that if FAU played UMass, FAU would slaughter them.  In addition, BC has *zero* quality wins, whereas we have wins vs. #5 and #17.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I normally agree with most of what you say regarding looking objectively and considering the negatives as well as the positives, but I have to disagree on a couple points:

-FAU is a lot better than we or anyone else gives them credit for.  They beat Minnesota and gave UK a game up until the half.  We played poorly, but they are a lot better than you make it sound here.

-BC struggled vs. UMass, who is a I-AA team.  We beat FAU on the road by more than BC beat UMass at home.  I'm no expert, but I am confident that if FAU played UMass, FAU would slaughter them.  In addition, BC has *zero* quality wins, whereas we have wins vs. #5 and #17.

Good points.

Still, you know most of the voters are very much of the mindset, "what have you done for me lately."

Archived