Atlanta Journal Constitution article about Soloman Jones

pops94

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  143
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.ajc.com/wireless/content/sports/hawks/stories/2007/10/04/hawks_1005.html

Solomon Jones did everything the Hawks asked him to do at the end of his rookie season.

He started working on his body immediately after the season and showed up for his second stint in summer league ready to dominate.

The Hawks' Solomon Jones wasn't ready for the speed of the game in the Utah summer league.

He promptly fell flat on his face at July's Rocky Mountain Revue.

Jones wasn't just bad in Salt Lake City, he was a disaster. He hardly played, and when he did he piled up fouls faster than Kobe Bryant piles up points. And he was pressing, compounding his troubles by worrying about his performance.

But as bad as he was then, the Hawks' 6-foot-11, 235-pound center/power forward has been that good in the first three days of training camp.

Jones has been a revelation so far, wowing those who saw him then and now.

"The press made me have to step up my game," Jones said, laughing as he recalled the critical reviews he received in summer league. "I couldn't let you keep roasting me like you were doing in July. But seriously, it was just a matter of getting comfortable again. I did all the work you could do, but I had to get back on the floor to get my confidence back.

"I'm in here feeling confident shooting it, moving laterally, posting up and just playing my game. And my weight is still up and I know I'm stronger. It's all coming together for me at just the right time."

These are the results Jones expected to see in Utah. After working out in Philadelphia with a personal trainer and building his body, Jones thought he was poised for a breakthrough. But he failed to include one crucial component in his workout regimen: playing in full-court games.

Hawks assistant coach Bob Bender noticed it immediately, even before the Hawks wrapped up a mini-camp before leaving for Utah.

"It wasn't a lack of understanding or knowledge," Bender said. "But it just became apparent that his reactions weren't game speed. So I asked him how much he'd been playing five-on-five and he was real honest about it, 'Not at all.'

"And to his credit, he came back and continued his strength and conditioning and skill work. But he also sought out competition and pick-up games all over the place. He'd leave here headed out to play wherever he could find a game."

That extra effort is paying off. With Shelden Williams sidelined for much of training camp with a hamstring injury, Jones has seized his opportunity as the Hawks develop a more up-tempo approach.

He's a threat to block any shot that goes up around the basket and is a vicious finisher at the rim.

"He's looking like a player right now," Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. "During summer league he struggled big-time. He didn't look like a guy who had been through a season of pro ball. But he's made improvements by leaps and bounds since then. He went to two camps in Las Vegas after summer league that really helped him ... and right now, nothing's set in stone. He'll get his chance. I'm looking for guys that want to compete."

An opportunity is all Jones can ask for, especially after losing ground the way he did.

"I'm not letting down," said Jones, a second-round draft pick in 2006 who had three games with at least five blocks. "I feel like I'm just as skilled as any of these other bigs we have. I'm not taking a back seat to anybody. And I've got a big heart. I've always been a fighter. It's been a lot of hard work to get back to this point. And I'm not slowing down now."

• Content Count:  12,293

go SoJo!!!

he has a shot to stick around in the league for a few years.  we all know he can block shots but if he can get an offensive game too....look out. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,380
  • Days Won:  491

If he could improve Year 1 to Year 2 in the NBA as he did from his junior to senior year at USF he could be real good.  It's a tough league though.  Good to hear SoJo putting in the work and getting better.

• Content Count:  10,219

go sojo!

go bulls!

Archived