Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,380
  • Days Won:  491

tradingmarkets.gif

Stadium Rule: Fans Keep Off Grass, Or Else

Friday, October 05, 2007; Posted: 06:09 AM

TAMPA, Oct 04, 2007 (Tampa Tribune - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) -- HOSN | charts | news | PowerRating -- One worked in the Home Shopping Network showroom in Clearwater; one was a stay-at-home dad from Newberry. There was an electrician from Princeton, W.Va., and students from the University of Tampa and, of course, the University of South Florida.

All found their way to Raymond James Stadium on Friday night to watch the USF Bulls beat fifth-ranked West Virginia in a defining moment for sports in Tampa.

They all had something else in common, too: They left the game in police custody.

Hundreds stormed the field after the final whistle, despite signs in the stands warning against such behavior. A few were arrested on charges of trespassing, disorderly conduct or opposing arrest without violence. Fewer still face added charges of drug possession.

All have been released after posting bail that ranged from $500 to $2,500.

A winning football team means more enthusiasm and exuberance among the fans, but not a change in stadium policy: No one is allowed on the field, even after those exhilarating wins -- even after the addition last year of collapsible goal posts.

In years past, protecting the goal posts -- and preventing possible injuries should they fall -- was the main reason to prohibit fans from cascading over the 8-foot walls that separate the stands from the field, said Barbara Casey, spokeswoman for the Tampa Sports Authority.

"We don't want people down there for the obvious reasons, the broken legs and ankles that can occur in situations like that," she said.

At Friday night's game, she saw hundreds of fans jump the wall. Once they saw the goal posts already had been pulled down -- grounds crews can collapse them in 15 seconds -- most ran to the players and coaches and celebrated with them.

Casey said that's fine, but it's illegal to go on the field. It remains that way even though it is blatantly ignored.

"How many can you get?" she asked. "We had a lot of security and law enforcement down there. You can't grab everybody."

Nor can you ignore the need for safety, she said. Also on the field is a defeated visiting football team. If fans taunt a 300-pound lineman from a losing team, that could end badly, Casey said.

On Friday night, Casey said, the USF fans "were well-behaved once they went over the wall."

Jail records show that nine men were arrested Friday night at Raymond James Stadium, some from the stands during the game, some from the field after the game.

Hillsborough County sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter said deputies ejected 24 people from the game without making arrests.

With such a crowd of offenders, how do they choose?

Law enforcement officers use their best judgment and follow the law as best they can, Carter said.

"Anybody who is unauthorized to be on the field is considered a trespasser by Florida statute and can be charged with trespassing," she said.

It's happened before.

Two years ago, bedlam broke out at the stadium when USF defeated the University of Louisville, which was ranked No. 9 in the nation at the time.

The field was flooded with fans, and authorities made seven arrests.

One unruly fan was shocked with a Taser.

Reporter Keith Morelli can be reached at (813) 259-7760 or kmorelli@tampatrib.com.

Link

Was there really only one bro tazed after the Louisville game?  I thought several bros were tazed...

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  35
  • Days Won:  0

DONT' TAZE THE BROTHERS!!!!

• Content Count:  201

grounds crews can collapse them in 15 seconds

HA!

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

They're lucky I didn't jump on the field.  I'd of had handfuls of sod in my pockets just despite the glazers.  >:D

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,692
  • Days Won:  13

One fan shocked with a tazer? Lie!!!!

• Content Count:  145

LOL...I wonder what's best to brag about? 

1.)  You made it on to Ray Jay Field after a huge Bulls win...

2.)  Or being Tazed (possibly breaking your ankle therefor being an easy target >:D) after making it down there and everyone else running past you as the taser patrol pick you up off the ground after a huge win...

hmmm...

• Content Count:  2,118

one of my former managers broke his ankle at the game friday night! What a way to celebrate a victory! Making a trip to the hospital to have pins and needles to be put in your ankle.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,380
  • Days Won:  491

That is exactly why I have always advocated grabbing a fan of the visiting team, tossing them over, and landing softly on their buttocks area (feet first).

• Content Count:  253

One of my brother's friends broke a leg going over the wall at Louisville last year, so be careful.  I guess if you don't land the right way, bad things can happen. 

• Content Count:  1,297

Man, that is a long way down too......I guess when you have been drinking heavily you don't judge the jump right and then bam - blown out cankle.

Archived