Does anyone really believe that we're the 6th best team in the country?

BullBullBullBullBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  104
  • Days Won:  0

I like that we have the opportunity to "ride the wave" and I think its childish the way so many around the nation have taken the opportunity to slam USF, but does anyone seriously believe that there are only 5 teams out there that could beat us?  Did anyone really believe that Kentucky was the 8th best team in the country?

What are there, 119 Div 1-A (or whatever they call it now) teams out there?  Based upon our games so far, I *might* put us in the top 20 if I really started looking at it on a team by team basis, but I think I could pretty easily come up with a dozen teams that would be likely to beat us.  We've clearly gotten some good breaks and good bounces in both the Auburn and WVU games.  Those bounce the other way and we're looking at 2-2 rather than 4-0. 

I'm enjoying the moment, but I've been hesitant to get too wrapped up in looking ahead.  We've still got FAU, UCF, Rutgers, UConn, Cincy, Cuse, UL and Pitt and I really don't think we're going to keep getting the lucky breaks, on a consistent basis, for 8 more games.  We can probably get through a couple unlucky bounces in a couple of those games, but we need to be near flawless against Cincy, Rutgers and maybe UL or we're going to find ourselves back in reality.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  22,774
  • Days Won:  53

I think that due to everyone else losing, they had no choice but to move us way up.  All of this stuff is based more on preseason rankings which mean nothing anyway.  The more games get played, the more it is going to take shape.

• Content Count:  1,479

Who is better than us? THE MIGHTY FLORIDA GATORS(I wish you could hear the imitation of the accent I do when I say that) played Auburn, they lost at home to Auburn, who we beat at Auburn. No argument there. Then we beat a team that was ranked 5th in the nation 3 weeks later. We have as good of wins as ANYONE in the nation, better than number 5 Wisconsin.

I agree its still a long season and we have alot of work to do to get better, but RIGHT NOW,  we are the number 6 team in the nation, I think we can play with anybody in the nation. (Note: did NOT say beat everyone, I said compete w/ anyone in the nation). Bounces are a part of the game.

• Content Count:  2,523

I'm celebrating the ranking, but I don't think we're a typical #6 team YET.  Are we top 20?  I believe we are.  Are we 10-15?  Absolutely, but it was due to a number of LOSSES by other teams on last second plays that vaulted us into the top ten rather than us being #6 and all of them having also undefeated records.  Big difference.

With that being said, we are very close to being a legit top ten team if the offense can mature and PUNCH IT IN.  If USF could hold onto the ball after all these turnovers and punch them in, people would FEAR US, but as it right now, we are not a complete team.

We have enough offense to WIN, but a top ten team doesn't win, they BLOW TEAMS OUT.

• Content Count:  153

I think that due to everyone else losing, they had no choice but to move us way up.  All of this stuff is based more on preseason rankings which mean nothing anyway.  The more games get played, the more it is going to take shape.

That is correct.  

To answer the original question.  Yes.  Based on the games that have been played so far.

There is a ton of football left to be played.  Ask the same question in early January...

• Content Count:  66,137
  • Days Won:  172

whoo really knows

so under criteria used the ANSWER MUST BE yes

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I agree with Bullyhoo.  With the current college football resumees I don't see any reason we're not where we should be.  If you throw tradition out the window it makes sense.  I agree that making polls from preseason is silly and they shouldn't come until week seven like the BCS polls, but this is the way it's done and in the current state of affairs it looks good to me.

The Bulls jsut need to keep on a winning and we could see some good things coming.

• Content Count:  66,137
  • Days Won:  172

I like that we have the opportunity to "ride the wave" and I think its childish the way so many around the nation have taken the opportunity to slam USF, but does anyone seriously believe that there are only 5 teams out there that could beat us?  Did anyone really believe that Kentucky was the 8th best team in the country?

What are there, 119 Div 1-A (or whatever they call it now) teams out there?  Based upon our games so far, I *might* put us in the top 20 if I really started looking at it on a team by team basis, but I think I could pretty easily come up with a dozen teams that would be likely to beat us.  We've clearly gotten some good breaks and good bounces in both the Auburn and WVU games.  Those bounce the other way and we're looking at 2-2 rather than 4-0. 

I'm enjoying the moment, but I've been hesitant to get too wrapped up in looking ahead.  We've still got FAU, UCF, Rutgers, UConn, Cincy, Cuse, UL and Pitt and I really don't think we're going to keep getting the lucky breaks, on a consistent basis, for 8 more games.  We can probably get through a couple unlucky bounces in a couple of those games, but we need to be near flawless against Cincy, Rutgers and maybe UL or we're going to find ourselves back in reality.

and usf should win out

i dont think usf has been lucky

usf physically beat wv and auburn-those teams were lucky usf didnt embarass them more

• Content Count:  5,912
  • Days Won:  5

I thought is was a little high to start with, but based on what we have done so far, and looking at the other teams behind us, I don't see any that should be in front of us.

Honestly, I don't think Wisconsin or Ohio State have really done anything to prove that they should be ahead of us. USC has a win of Nebraska, LSU has beat Va Tech, Miss State, and South Carolina (I think they are a no-brainer for #1). Cal beat a very good Oregon team on the road as well as Tennessee. But, based on quality wins, I would not think that we are un-deserving of a ranking as high as #4 at this point in the season.

Archived