A growing number of stories out there about how USF will not

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

a two-loss team won't jump any undefeated team from a BCS conference. i can categorically tell you a two-loss team will not be chosen over an undefeated team from a credible conference. i don't think you'll see this current postseason format play out with a two-loss team in a national championship game.

All the more reason to cheer on more upsets ahead of us. The most important thing would be to keep winning ourselves of course....

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a two-loss team won't jump any undefeated team from a BCS conference. i can categorically tell you a two-loss team will not be chosen over an undefeated team from a credible conference. i don't think you'll see this current postseason format play out with a two-loss team in a national championship game.

Unless they're all two-loss teams... the way this year has gone - who knows.

Heck, this is the most turbulent year since 1990... when Colorado was 11-1-1 and shared the national championship with Ga Tech.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I thinik LSU will beat UF and knock them out of the title shot permanently.

I think OSU will lose to Purdue and Purdue will stumble somewhere.

I think USC will lose to Cal when they play, putting Cal @ #2, with LSU #1.

I think Wisc will lose to Ill.

The question for my scenario is, will LSU and Cal stumble somewhere else.  Both of those conferences are very good this year and anyone could sneak up on one of them.  Both have many tough games left (as do we).

• Content Count:  635

"I really think people have come to understand South Florida is the real deal," said Arbuckle, a former Colts teammate of Jesse Hester, father of USF receiver Jesse Hester Jr. of Belle Glade. "But they can't rely on the defense to come up with five or six turnovers every game. At some point, you'd like to see the offense break out."

it's true, people want to see a complete game before giving us "full" credit. obviously it's a good sign that we're ranked #6 despite our offense, but imagine if we had some real firepower. 

• Content Count:  66

It seems fundamentally unfair that a team does not have it in their power to get to the NC game. Given how badly Ohio State lost to Florida, would anyone have minded Boise playing (other than missing out on one of the greatest college football games ever) the Gators?

--Joey

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

The big difference with us and Boise St, Utah, or TCU is that we are in a BCS conference.  If we go undefeated and are the only undefeated team or one of just two, I would guess that we will play for the national championship.  Back when Auburn wasn't in the NC game, I think there were 4 undefeated teams.

• Content Count:  1,757

IF (and this is a VERY BIG IF) USF can go through the rest of the season unscathed (and lets not kid ourselves that will be VERY tough to do) then they would be almost a certain lock for the title game... that is unless the BCS ranking formulas are drastically changed mid season.

If you don't believe me, then look at the top 10 teams strength of schedule ratings... No one in the top 10 comes close to our SOS thus far.  If Cinci and Rutgers can stay in the top 25 (and the next two teams on our schedule can win their respective conferences) then there really isn't a way for anyone outside Tampa to trump our SOS rating.  

• Content Count:  4,451

I thinik LSU will beat UF and knock them out of the title shot permanently.

I think OSU will lose to Purdue and Purdue will stumble somewhere.

I think USC will lose to Cal when they play, putting Cal @ #2, with LSU #1.

I think Wisc will lose to Ill.

The question for my scenario is, will LSU and Cal stumble somewhere else.  Both of those conferences are very good this year and anyone could sneak up on one of them.  Both have many tough games left (as do we).

Is "I think..." synonymous with "I hope..."?  I think it is.  If USC, Cal or/and LSU go undefeated they all deserve the NCG over USF but USF has tons of football to play.  I think USF would have a good game vs the B10 teams 'cuz of the Bull FL speed connection.  The next 4 weeks will determine if the Bulls are contendors or pretendors.  I predict a let down on D this weekend but I believe the O is going to step it up.  Running the ball & TOs will be the key.  UCF has the ingredients for an upset.  I'm concerned they will be hotter for the Bulls than our Bulls will be for them.  Then thier is the roadie to UCONN.  There is negative history there.  It will be a good game unless USF really are world beaters.

• Content Count:  2,016

This just pure speculation.  IN 2004 there were 5 undefeated teams: USC, Oklahoma, Auburn, Utah, and Boise State.  Under the BCS formula when there are more than 2 undefeated teams somebody is going to get reamed. This year we could possibly (if we win out) be that team.  If, however, there are only two undefeated teams, and if USF is one of them, we would have to see.  If USF gets jumped by a 1 - loss team under that scenario the you have reason to complain.  Meanwhile, don't worry about it, these things usually sort themselves out by the end of the year.

BTW BCS Bowl selection procedures:

Rose - B10 and P10

Fiesta - B12

Sugar - SEC

Orange - ACC

NC - Sugar Bowl, if a bowl loses its host conference champion to the NCG they may select any eligible team.  If two BCS bowls lose their conference champions to the NCG the bowls may select any eligible team except for the second place team for the associated conference of the other bowl.  This rule can be waived with the agreement of the other bowl.  After the replacement picks are made the bowls will select from eligible teams in the following order for the January 2008 Bowls the at large selections will be : Orange, Fiesta, Sugar.

Example:  Assume that USC and LSU win out

Rose may select any eligible team except second place SEC unless they receive permission from the Sugar Bowl.

Sugar may select any eligible team except second place P10 unless they receive permission from the Rose Bowl.

Usually these replacements selections are the second place team of their respective conference affiliates.

Now that we got the fun out of the way.

Go Bulls, Beat FAU

• Content Count:  403

I personally think that our offense just had a bad game against WV.  I'd like to think that our offense is more of what it showed when we walked all over North Carolina, or what it showed when we moved the ball on Auburn. 

That being said, I think that when we got leads versus WV and Auburn, our offense went kinda vanilla.  We can't do that if we are going to be in the top 10, we need to keep the foot on the gas and keep scoring.

Archived