Excerpts of Interest if you want to know what is being said...

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,380
  • Days Won:  491

USAToday:

• South Florida is No. 9, and in the polls for the first time in a school football history that reaches all the way back to … 1997.

Repeating: South Florida is in the top 10.

Quick, everyone. Where is South Florida? Who is its coach? What is its nickname? (Answers: Tampa, Jim Leavitt, the Bulls.)

The Union Leader:

What a story the 4-0 USF Bulls are. Not only ranked for the first time, but in the Top 10. That's in just 11 years of playing big-time college football under coach Jim Leavitt.

(11 years of big-time college football? - don't tell KY Wesleyan)

Anderson Herald Bulletin:

Tell me you knew all along that a green-and-gold meteor named the South Florida Bulls would use the BCS aspirations of Auburn and West Virginia as chewing tobacco in a span of three weeks.

What used to be Nebraska is now South Florida.

DallasNews.com

All South Florida has done is beat Auburn on the road and West Virginia at home.

Now the Bulls are ranked sixth and positioned for the Bowl Championship Series. Even if South Florida goes undefeated, it won't climb high enough in the polls to be a factor in the BCS championship game.

Sun-Sentinel:

South Florida is the highest ranked team in our state.

While the Bulls are undefeated and a legitimate national championship contender in just their seventh season as a bowl-eligible major college program, Notre Dame is winless and off to its worst start in its 116 seasons.

A look at the season's biggest surprises so far:

South Florida (4-0): Whether Alabama and former Dolphins coach Nick Saban likes it or not, this magical run has a legitimate chance of taking the Bulls all the way to the Superdome in New Orleans for the BCS National Championship on Jan. 8. Saban insulted the Bulls this week when he suggested South Florida's rise was assisted by the school's willingness to take players whose lack of academic prowess kept them out of more traditional college programs. He estimated six players on South Florida's defense couldn't get into Florida or Florida State.

"That's not right," South Florida coach Jim Leavitt said. "It's a knock on our program."

Leavitt says only two of his players are partial qualifiers and only one of those starts.

Welcome to the top 10, coach, where the spotlight's always searching for warts.

Matt Lowe, AL.com:

What's your take on South Florida? Could this team be a possible national title contender?

They can't contend because they won't have the body of work to get there, Louisville is not the same as the last few years and Rutgers and West Virginia will go down again. The Bulls are a really good team, but won't be able to make it regardless. A one loss SEC team would easily get in ahead.

Is Matt Grothe a legit Heisman contender?

No, he won't have big enough numbers and probably not enough exposure. He could get into the top five, but I doubt it. If Slaton, Rice and Brohm couldn't get it the last few years ... no way.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

just win jim

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,333
  • Days Won:  30

What's your take on South Florida? Could this team be a possible national title contender?

They can't contend because they won't have the body of work to get there, Louisville is not the same as the last few years and Rutgers and West Virginia will go down again. The Bulls are a really good team, but won't be able to make it regardless. A one loss SEC team would easily get in ahead.

They aren't now ...

Beat FAU.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  12,293

if we did go undefeated and got snubbed by a 1 loss SEC team then the BCS really does need to go away.

• Content Count:  291

if we did go undefeated and got snubbed by a 1 loss SEC team then the BCS really does need to go away.

It's a lot stronger conference and the SOS helps the 1 loss team out. Also just being affiliated with the SEC too. Remember Auburn going 12-0 and not getting into the BCS Title game? And that was a undefeated SEC team lol.

• Content Count:  12,293

yea but when auburn didnt get in it was because there was 3 different undefeated BCS teams.

• Content Count:  5,241

BSC championships are a fraud. IF we go undefeated and win our bowl game, we can just claim were National Champs. Schools do it all the time...

• Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

As long as Auburn and WVU keep winning, it will help USF's BCS numbers. I think an undefeated USF team would get in if USC and LSU lose. Phil Steele has said that he believes that USF would get in also. Notice that the Bama people think otherwize. The point is the SEC is overrated this season. They are not as strong as they were last year. I believe the SEC is 4-4 against other BCS conferences this year. Man, UL playing like crap this year sure does hurt though. No way does Kentucky beat a Bobby Petrino coached UL team. Heck, UK was lucky to beat a bad UL team at home, so I am not impressed by Kentucky. I think Tenn is terrible. I think Arkansas came into the season way overrated. And I think UF has no defense.

Archived