Mens Soccer: No. 9 USF Opens Red Division Play

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,380
  • Days Won:  491

Courtesy USF

No. 9 USF Opens Red Division Play

TAMPA, Fla. –  The No. 9 University of South Florida men’s soccer team continues its four-game road swing this Saturday, Oct. 6 at 7 p.m., as it heads to Louisville to take on the 5-4-0 (2-2-0) Cardinals.  The match marks the beginning of Red Division play for the Bulls.

Over its last three matches, USF has gone undefeated, boasting two wins and one tie against BIG EAST Blue Division opponents.  The squad set down Providence (3-1) on Sept. 23 and No. 6 West Virginia (1-0) on Sept. 30.  The lone tie came on a late penalty kick by Pittsburgh to equalize that match on Sept. 28.

Overall, the Bulls carry a 7-1-1 record into the Louisville match and currently trail Villanova by five points in the Red Division standings.  The Wildcats own a 4-1-0 conference record to the USF’s 2-1-1 mark.

“Louisville is probably the most defensively organized team we’ll see this year,” said head coach George Kiefer.  “They’re very well coached and it’s going to be a good game.”

About the series

USF owns a 12-3-2 all-time record against Louisville, dating back to the two squads’ first meeting in 1992.  The overall record includes a 7-1-2 showing at home and a 4-2-0 advantage at Cardinal Park.  The teams have met once on neutral ground in 1999, with the Bulls claiming that contest, 2-0.

Saturday’s match marks the 16th consecutive year of play between the Cardinals and the Bulls, since ’92.  The teams met twice in both 1998 and 1999.

The most recent match, played last year, ended in a 1-1 tie at the USF Soccer Stadium.

USF has outscored the Cardinals 48-21 in the 16 contests.

About USF

The Bulls own the nation’s sixth-best scoring offense, registering 21 goals in nine games for a 2.33 points-per-game average.  On the flip side, the team has only allowed seven goals all year, notching a top-30 goals allowed average of 0.73.  The team’s .833 win percentage is tied for ninth in the NCAA.

Junior midfielder Jordan Seabrook and senior midfielder Simon Schoendorf lead the team in points with 15 and 13, respectively.  Seabrook has tallied five goals on the season to lead the team and ties Schoendorf for the team-high in assists, also with five. 

Schoendorf has tallied four goals on the year, including his first-career hat trick on Sept. 15 against American University.

About Louisville

UofL comes off a 2-1 loss to No. 3 Notre Dame on Sept. 30 in South Bend.  The team is 2-3 over its last five, with losses to Georgetown (1-0) and No. 1 Wake Forest (1-0).  The team blanked both Marquette (2-0) and Seton Hall (4-0) in that span.

The Cardinals are led by senior forward Marco Terminesi in both goals and points.  Terminesi has registered four goals and two assists for 10 points.  Goalkeeper David Simolike has allowed eight goals in UofL’s nine contests for a 0.83 GAA.  He has three shutouts.

USF returns home to Tampa to face Villanova on Fri., Oct. 12 at 8 p.m.  Tickets to all USF home matches are $5 for adults, $3 for youth 16-and-under and $2 for groups of 10 or more.  Season ticket packages are also available.  Call 1-800-GoBulls or visit www.GoUSFBulls.com for details.  Spectators will have the opportunity to get player and coach autographs at the conclusion of every home game down on the field.

Fans can also catch all home games on the USF Press Pass.  Live video and audio streaming is available for all matches played in the USF Soccer Stadium with Jim Henderson delivering the play-by-play call.

Archived