• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,380
  • Days Won:  491

header.gif

No. 6 Bulls stampede into Lockhart Stadium

Published Friday, October 5, 2007

By Mario Sarmento

SPORTS EDITOR

In the short seven-year history of the Florida Atlantic University football team, the Owls have not been in a game like this.

FAU hosts USF at Lockhart Stadium Saturday at 3:30 p.m. The Bulls are the highest-ranked team the Owls have ever faced.

Factor in that it’s an in-state rival, and that thousands of Bulls fans will make the trip to Fort Lauderdale Saturday, and you have the makings of the biggest home game to date in school history.

The Owls are anticipating a sellout, and with 100 accredited media and the game being televised nationally on ESPNU, FAU is heading into rarefied air.

“We’re playing an outstanding football team,” Owls coach Howard Schnellenberger said. “They are a solid developing football program, and their motors are going to be running hot because they’re on a mission. That first-time quest is a very, very strong emotion that can carry a team a long way.”

The Bulls have a 4-0 record and are sixth in the nation after upsetting West Virginia last week, 21-13.

USF also shocked Auburn at home, 26-23 in overtime three weeks ago, in the game that officially marked the Bulls as another Florida state football power.

The fact the Bulls are doing this a mere 12 years since the program’s inception is a tribute to Coach Jim Leavitt and the athletic program. Leavitt is the only coach USF has ever known.

Added to the hype is the fact that FAU has four players who grew up in the Tampa area, while 12 South Florida natives play for USF, including former West Boca High star Mike McGowan and Boca Raton’s Ryan Schmidt.

Owls wide receiver Conshario Johnson attended Middleton High School in Seminole Heights, fellow wideout Chris Bonner went to Gaither High in Hillsborough and tight end Jason Harmon graduated from Riverview High.

Owls running back Willie Rose also attended Gaither, but he will miss the game due to a knee injury.

“We’ve been anticipating this game for awhile, I’ve been talking to them,” Bonner said. “And I’m sure everybody’s been anticipating this game – in-state game, rivalry game.”

Harmon said “everyone” in his high school ended up at USF, and many would make the trip to Lockhart to see the game.

USF’s strength is its defense. Cornerbacks Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams comprise one of the best secondaries in the nation, and of course, FAU has a strong pair in Corey Small and Tavious Polo, the nation’s interception leader with seven.

The Bulls forced six turnovers against the Mountaineers last week, and linebacker Ben Moffitt was named the Walter Camp Defensive Player of the Week after intercepting two passes and returning one for a TD against West Virginia.

Harmon, who leads the Owls with 20 receptions for 340 yards and a TD, wasn’t impressed with Moffitt’s performance.

“It just seems like he’s in the right place at the right time for some reason, I don’t know why,” Harmon said. “Even when he has a blown assignment, he’s in the wrong spot. The quarterback just throws it to him for some reason.”

Harmon praised the Bulls defensive line, but said the linebackers and secondary weren’t as fast as teams the Owls had faced before, like Kentucky.

Defensively, the Owls have yet another spread offense to defuse.

Last week, Wildcats quarterback Andre’ Woodson torched FAU for 301 yards and five TDs. This week, the Bulls’ Matt Groethe will test the Owls not just with his arm, but with his legs.

Groethe is USF’s second-leading rusher with 209 yards on 51 carries and a TD. He’s also passed for 787 yards and five TDs, while throwing just two INTs.

Groethe’s leading targets are Taurus Johnson, who has 15 catches for 173 yards, Amarri Jackson (13 rec. 173 yards 2 TDs) and Glades Central graduate Jessie Hester (10 rec. 107 yards 1 TD).

“Basically everything goes through Groethe,” Small said. “He’s a great athlete, has a big arm. Basically, we’ve just got to know their tendencies, know what they’re capable of doing and we should be fine. They’ve got a pretty good receiving corps and pretty good running backs.”

It’s another big test for a defense that hasn’t had a good showing since the season opener against Middle Tennessee State, and it’s the first time the nation will get a look at FAU on its home field.

The Owls are hoping that by game’s end they can add another chapter in school history, as a win would surpass the 42-39 victory over Minnesota earlier this year as the biggest to date.

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

offense really needs to wake up in this game and put up like 40+

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,809
  • Days Won:  213

Harmon seemed to put down our defense-- not the fastest they've seen so far?

OK buddy-- thanks for the bulletin board material

• Content Count:  849

LMAO at this guy for saying that our LB's and secondary looks slow compared to faster teams like Kentucky....Kentucky one of the worst defenses of any team in the top 25...hahahahahahaha!!!! :ROFLMAO

• Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

He could have looked up the spelling of Grothe.

• Content Count:  198

This should make for a pretty good atmosphere for the game.

• Content Count:  4,016

Harmon seemed to put down our defense-- not the fastest they've seen so far?

OK buddy-- thanks for the bulletin board material

"Putting down..."  Mike he flat out said they're average and not as good as OKST, and UK (I assume who they think are better) and both are ranked in the bottom 20 of defenses- the OKST team that got throttled by Troy.

I love his comments on Ben Moffitt, he's just lucky.  He's started four straight years and flanked by NFL LB's, and just lucky.

• Content Count:  226

Pretty funny stuff.  These poor kids have not seen fast if they are comparing our D to Kentucky's D.

How does a LB seem to always put himself in the right place at the right time...  He must know what he's doing.

Lets see Auburn said we have not seen speed, WV said their O was sooo much faster that our D, and these guys still don't get it, should be a fun game.

• Content Count:  509

"Harmon, who leads the Owls with 20 receptions for 340 yards and a TD, wasn’t impressed with Moffitt’s performance.

“It just seems like he’s in the right place at the right time for some reason, I don’t know why,†Harmon said. “Even when he has a blown assignment, he’s in the wrong spot. The quarterback just throws it to him for some reason.â€Â

Harmon praised the Bulls defensive line, but said the linebackers and secondary weren’t as fast as teams the Owls had faced before, like Kentucky."

wow, and you thought that yankees comment was good bulletin board material.

definetley have to tee off on this guy.

• Content Count:  1,479

As a graduate of Riverview HS, I say

Tyrone McKenzie > Jason Harmon.

(both went to RHS if you dont get it) Seriously, Harmon is a good athlete but he's not a better athlete than anyone on our defense.

Who is this Groethe guy? Is he any good? lol Are we sure its not our friend Frank from F$U that wrote this, seems to be about as well-researched w/ a mistake like that.

Archived