Serious Question About Being In The Big East

usf97

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

i like being in the Big East.  I think we should stay here.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,757

Do not forget what the Big East does for us in terms of recruiting!  Having the television exposure that the BE brings (most members are in major cities).  Not only do we get the best in-state kids, but we'll start reeling in the occasional stars from the North East corridor (first example: Jerome Murphy).     

That's how UM made their way to title after title.  They built a strong foundation of in-state kids, sprinkled with the occasional talent kid from the NY, NJ areas.  Remember, who wants to spend winter freezing in Piscataway or Syracuse, when you can be in sunny Florida?  I think UM really screwed the pooch leaving for "greener pastures".  Remember, if it ain't broke... 

The ACC would never be able to compete in terms of television viewership and three teams from Florida in the same conference would pretty much kill the conference.  The SEC would never invite a second team from the state of Florida, unless they wanted to screw UF.  No one else really fits.   

• Content Count:  2,523

The Big East is a good conference to be in.  Most opponents will win enough games and OOC games to be respectable but not dominant enough to where we shouldn't be able to start leading the conference in recruiting very soon. When we do that, we'll start assembling KILLER teams where we'll not only win our conference, but assemble the type of talent that when we do go to bowl games, our WINS validate our seasons.

Want a great example?  Look at what USC and FSU have been doing for years.  When FSU was winning all those championships, besides them, the ACC was pretty darn weak.  But, FSU as a team was STRONG as evidenced by the way they beat OOC foes like Miami, UF and all those bowl teams from other conferences year after year.

Trust me, we have it better than some think and that will only become more and more evident as this thing progresses.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

As far as basketball goes, we'd be foolish to not stay in the Big East.  We need the "trial by fire" to get better!

• Content Count:  104

I think a more likely change is that the Big East changes.  I'd be shocked if there aren't 12 teams and a conference championship game in the Big East in 5-10 years.  Right now, simply mathematically, you've got a 12.5% chance of winning the Big East.  The ACC and SEC you've only got an 8.3% chance.  Plus, a good regular season in those conferences isn't even enough - you've still got a conference championship game to deal with.

Getting to a BCS bowl is clearly easiest in the Big East conference right now.  But I'd expect that to change over the next few years.

• Content Count:  92

Who would we add in that case to make 12?  If Notre Dame ever got off their high horse, I could see them playing in the Big East since they are affiliated in so many other sports.  After that, are we going to automatically take some of the I-AA/FCS teams who are basketball schools (such as Villanova and Georgetown) to become bottom-feeders?  Other than that, it is hard for me to imagine significant expansion to where there would be divisions and a title game.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I would rather stay in the BE than the ACC.  We have a clearer path to the NC with 8 teams instead of 12.

If the SEC came calling, we would be gone in a second, let's not kid ourselves.

Remember, the BE basically has their own "network", called ESPN.  You can't get that exposure in the ACC...

• Content Count:  2,016

ACC and SEC are happy with 12 teams, they are not going to add unless they subtract.  Both have better TV contracts but not as much exposure in football.  Both have much better BB contracts.  The only conference that could possible come calling would be B10, not likely though.  Bigger TV, bigger bowl payouts and better conference for football (despite claims to the contrary).  Its only possible because they may want a Florida connection.  More likely to take FSU or Miami though.

If SEC or B10 come calling then we are gone otherwise we stay put.

• Content Count:  3,674
  • Days Won:  4

Well again this question is merely a hypothetical one. I was just wondering what the feel out there would be. I doubt any moves of any kind will be made until the BCS contract expires, then we'll see if there are any major changes. I think the drive for any changes would really come from those conferences trying to get to 12 for a Championship game, i.e Big 10 or Pac 10. We've all heard rumors about Arkansas bolting for the Big 12, Rutgers to the Big 10 or Maryland to the Big East but I don't see anything viable in the near future.

I would think in the SEC, while lucrative, it would be very difficult to stay competitive. Maybe we would elevate in recruits minds to that of Florida but we could also become the next Miss State or Kentucky. Sure you have a good season once in a while but not often. Mind you we have a built in advantage with Florida recruiting. It's interesting to speculate on it either way.

Archived