Serious Question About Being In The Big East

usf97

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,674
  • Days Won:  4

I have been thinking about this question for some time and it seems like people always want to question the validity of Big East Football. Not to imply this would ever happen, but if USF were invited to a "better" conference i.e. SEC or ACC....would we actually want to go?

The reason I ask is I don't think that it is a cut and dry answer, but I don't know. I'd be interested in what others thought.

I mean we only split the BCS money 8 ways, right, not 12.

We have a much easier road to a championship assuming the polls co-operated. Look at Miami in the old Big East or FSU in the old ACC.

I would think the tough week in and week out schedule of the SEC could relegate us to the likes of a Kentucky or at best a South Carolina. In the Big East we could be the top dog.

I imagine the financial ramifications in a bigger conference could be greater but would they really be that much different?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

I don't think the ACC is a better conference.  I wouldn't be surprised to see an ACC team or two head back to the Big East.

The SEC would have to be seriously considered.

No other conference makes sense geographically.

• Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

Jumping conferences is a much deeper issue than just football...all sports have to be considered. The ACC isn't really that much of a step up in quality....moreover I don't know that it does much for us to be in a conference with FSU and Miami already being there. The ACC would start looking like the Big 12 that is jumbled up with a bunch of Texas teams...

On the other hand, the SEC would be a step up. The quality of athletics in that conference across the board is really top notch...and it would be exciting for fans and alumni to be geographically closer to our conference foes. (road trips by car rather than by plane) The downsides to the SEC would be having to split revenues with more teams...but you've got to think that conference probably has more lucrative TV contracts and bowl tie-ins.

Also...if we were extended an invitation anywhere...it would be part of larger conference movement. Alot would come down to which schools were moving where and which schools were being booted out.

In the end...the only choice that seems to make sense on all fronts would be the SEC. No offense to the Big East...but I doubt that we'd turn them down.

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

ACC - I don't see us wanting to do that. 

SEC - It would be hard to say no, as we would sell out all the games in football, be a better geographic fit, and be

a member of what I would say is the premier conference in the country.

BE -  It is true that the conference presents the easiest road to the title game, and Miami used that to full advantage.

The Big East was there for us when we needed it, and it has a strong academic base.  I could see us staying

here for a long time.

That said, if the band wagon fans become Bulls fans, then we could sell out all football games regardless of conference

affiliation.  I personally would only listen to the SEC if it came calling, and even then it would take a lot of thought in

deciding whether or not to leave the Big East.

• Content Count:  849

I think staying in the Big East is the best fit.

Louisville will recover, but losing Bobby Petrino hurts.

WVU has one of the best offensive coaches in the country

Rutgers has been overrated since last year and since they don't schedule a real OOC schedule they hurt the Big East's perception.

Cincy's coach is a great offensive coach and Bearcats have a solid D, hopefully they sustain success.

Pitt has tons of tradition and has the national titles to back it up too(albeit they were a long time ago)

Once Wanny gets fired, someone else will win with those all star recruits

Syracuse has produced players like Donovan Mcnabb, Dwight Freeney and Marvin Harrison. Its only a matter of time before they turn it around.

Uconn is a basketball school but is doing solid this year; next weeks game against Virginia will be a good measuring stick.

The Bulls will have a good enough conference schedule year in and year out and all we have to do is schedule marquee OOC matchups and we will be fine. We already have a home and home with Miami in a couple of years and we have UF on the schedule. Winning the Big East compiled a with a solid OOC schedule will be good enough for national title consideration.

You also have to take into consideration that the Big East is the best basketball conference overall, a slight lead over the ACC. While the SEC and the Big 10 are two worst big conferences in B-Ball. Florida and OSU are an aberration. OSU just got good and UF has been a one and done in the NCAA tournament for like 8 years before these 2 titles.

Overall Athletics, the Big East has a solid future. I wouldn't be surprised if the Big East didn't usurp some ACC teams to Big East in the Future. I wouldn't mind taking UNC and Maryland and booting Depaul and Seton Hall from basketball in the Big East. That would make Basketball even more killer. Booting Notre Dame from everything else would be great too.

• Content Count:  1,457

No - but I respect how you refer to "better" in quotes.  The ACC is on the way down.  VT, Miami, BC will emerge as top prospects in the ACC - strange how they were once BE not so long ago.  Miami will soon dominate the whole conference - 2-3 years from now.  It may take another coach change there, we will have to see.

USF had to replace "Miami" in the Be and so far we are exceeding expectations.  When USF and WVA played it was the 2nd most watched College TV game in ESPN2 history - since inception.  How about that!

• Content Count:  325

Let us win a conferemce title, first.    I  have not seen a banner yet. 

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

yes...

• Content Count:  294

I would think we'd be loyal to the conference and decline. At least I would hope so.

• Content Count:  22,774
  • Days Won:  53

I am not sure the ACC is better right now.  I am not saying they are worse either but they certainly aren't better. 

Archived