FSU Student Paper Writer slams USF

tamiamibull05

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  206
  • Days Won:  0

Every other team in the state has scheduled atleast one game with us. Hey FSU why won't you?..........Now I know what fear smells like.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  22,774
  • Days Won:  53

Every other team in the state has scheduled atleast one game with us. Hey FSU why won't you?..........Now I know what fear smells like.

Maybe we will get them in the OB?

• Content Count:  38

Not sure why I bothered but hell it beats doing real work ...

[[ If a college football fan from the state of Florida was in a coma for ten years and suddenly woke up today to see that the University of South Florida was ranked in the top ten, they would be quite perplexed. ]]

Perplexed isn't the half of it -- I'd wager they'd wonder why someone is shoving college football rankings in their face when they have months of brutal physical rehab looming ahead of them.

[[ Though I haven't been trapped in a coma for ten years, I still look at what is going on today in college football in the state of Florida and I am also quite perplexed. ]]

Not to be insensitive but I would suggest such confusion is a somewhat regular aspect of your daily life.

[[ Congratulations USF, you've made it. But don't start comparing yourself just yet to FSU, UF or Miami, three schools with incredible football tradition. ]]

I only went to USF so you'll have to excuse me but when did it become a good idea to write an entire article based off a false hypothesis? Aside from very specific comparisons of the respective programs from this year I seriously doubt there is any USF fan in the land who considers USF on the same level as those programs from a historical viewpoint. I really don't know why you are writing this article -- have you honestly heard a single USF fan saying "we're better than Miami ... not just this year ... I mean our one-time #6/9 ranking entirely invalidates all their national championships."

[[ As for their victory over West Virginia, while South Florida's defense has been solid all season; but my guess is that if Pat White was healthy and played the entire game, the outcome would have been different. ]]

Well certainly extrapolating his first half numbers (12/18 100 0 TD 1 INT) into the second half he would have been a handful.

[[ USF may have forced six turnovers against the Mountaineers, but their offense committed four of their own. ]]

We're good enough to beat a team ranked # 5 despite the fact we were playing badly. That is somehow a negative?

[[  I know that they are only a program that is a decade old and Raymond James Stadium is right there, but how can you consider yourself a big-time program when you don't even have your own stadium? ]]

I don't know -- I'll get right on the phone to Miami and USC to find out.

[[ Now that UCF has one, you're the only one in the state that doesn't. ]]

Uh-huh ... what was that you were saying about the brightest crayons in the box?

[[ Speaking of UCF, the only way South Florida could get a non-conference rival was to get a contract with the Knights, which is not even being renewed after this season.]]

This is rather faulty logic. So you're saying we wanted a "non-conference rival" and had to desperately bang out a contract with UCF -- only now we don't want to renew. Are we not renewing because we've now outgrown them (which somewhat runs against your enduring "not a big program" thesis) or are we not renewing because UCF doesn't want to (which is patently absurd)? Don't bother answering these questions because the UCF games were exit requirements from C-USA -- had nothing to do with "wanting" anything.

[[ Not to mention the fact that the only time USF can sell out a game is when they are playing West Virginia in prime-time on a Friday night. I would like to see them sell-out on a consistent basis. ]]

Well then you'll be happy to watch our very next game then.

[[ Does USF even have a fight song? ]]

Ignorance as a journalistic tool ... tremendous.

[[ Their little Bulls hand gesture happens to look a lot like Texas' Hook 'em Horns hand gesture. That's probably because its the same thing and they ripped the Longhorns off. ]]

Uh-huh ... shame you guys didn't copy your hand gesture from a group of people or this would seem like a staggeringly ignorant comment.

[[ Their coach Jim Leavitt, who helped start that program from scratch, will definitely jump at a big offer that he gets from a national powerhouse program. ]]

Research not a huge priority for you then?

[[ I would like to see South Florida's fans travel like Florida State's or Florida's fans do. ]]

For someone with such obvious distaste for our program you'd sure "like to see" us do a lot of things. Thanks!

• Content Count:  993

the fact that he has to write that article says it all.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

In Response to this Article:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TlKEQ2nIyo

• Content Count:  308

If I were a 'nole I'd be worried, too.  They are on a major downer as Bowden dismantles his legacy brick by brick and they realize that they have the most to lose as USF  soars.  UF's sports program is in the stratosphere and, while they might worry about USF on the field, I don't think they are too worried right now about losing their huge piece of the pie.  Miami is a different cat.  While part of the "Florida Conference" they do a lot of recruiting in what is now the real "South Florida" and all over the country since they have a national following, too.  Well, maybe they recruit here some since they got all everything QB Robert Marve from my school, Plant High, 4A state champs <end bragging section>.  The gist is, for the former Florida State College For Women, that they are most vulnerable to being overtaken by USF .  (Being raised a Gator I don't mind this scenario at all btw).

Below is a link to an article from only a year ago that reflects how much academics have hurt FSCW's athletic program...

Florida State University To Phase Out Academic Operations By 2010

• Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

Aw, man. I'm not a bright crayon.  :D

• Content Count:  1,757

My response:

Dear Frank,

It may shock you to learn that an application essay requirement is not the typical measure of judging a school's academic standards.

Believe it or not, there are those of us who chose to go to the University of South Florida based on academics. 

The University of South Florida is one of the nation's top 63 public research universities and one of 39 community engaged public universities as designated by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.

In addition to this, we have the top Honors College in Florida and I had the pleasure of working with some of the best and brightest in the state.

As for football, your signature win this season was against Alabama.  Wow.  Congratulations.  Did they have a parade?

Jealousy has certainly reared it's ugly head in this article.  I understand that it may be hard to cope with the fact that maybe USF is quickly becoming both an academic and athletic powerhouse, but don't worry, you'll always have the "party school" designation.

Yours truly,

Chris

USF Alum, B.S. in Computer Engineering, Cum Laude

Don't poke them too much Chris,  the Clown College of Tallahassee doesn't even have a real engineering school... you still have to go to FAMU for that!  But they do have one nice circus!

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I E-Mailed this to a friend of mine at work.  He is an Alabama Alumni, but his son goes to FSU.  He was at the Alabama/FSU game last weekend, too.  Here was his reply to my E-Mail:

Dave Hart probably doesn’t want any part of USF.  If he does, I am sure USF will accommodate.  In the River City, I would not be bragging about all the FSU fans, they were probably out numbered by at least 6 to 4 with a team that had to come 400 miles further for what was really a FSU home game.

As for a fight song, here goes:

Well we beat the hell out of NCU,

And we beat the hell out of Auburn too,

And just to show that their all the same,

We’re going to beat the hell out of FSU

If FSU schedules the game!!

He is a big supporter of the Bulls, especially after our Auburn win.

• Content Count:  66,137
  • Days Won:  172

I LOVE all these articles.  It shows we have arrived.  All that I know is we are ranked 6 and last I checked the are not ranked.  And if you can get your AD to schedule USF go ahead we would love it.

And how can people actually think Pat White being in would have led to a WVU win.  When he left WVU had not even scored a point yet.

it shows that fsu and uf and their fans are terrified of the bulls rapid rise

wait until they see the recruits that come to tampa next february

Archived