Our fans can't handle prosperity.

Jamie

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  498
  • Days Won:  0

A couple of our fans are on the ESPN message board flooding it with USF is best in the state garbage.  I feel we can compete and compete well with all state teams but the last time we played a big 3 we got schooled so those topics are so annoying, hopefully come bowl season we get a chance to take one of them down.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,380
  • Days Won:  491

The anonymous message board nonsense is no different than the kid on T.V holding up his finger shouting "We're #1" when we're not and never have been.  But it's really not a big deal - we don't expect a current Bulls fan to shout at the camera "We're #6, or #9". 

Besides, we all know that UCF fans impersonate known USF fans (message board names) and post ridiculous things.  While I meddle in this anonymous, unaccountable, irresponsible internet thing, I don't much like it.

• Content Count:  1,812

Almost 90% of the stuff I have seen saying USF is the best in the state was started by fans of other schools as a dig at UM,UF, or FSU. No matter what some might think the posters on public message boards are a relatively small compared to the total of college football fans.

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

A couple of our fans are on the ESPN message board flooding it with USF is best in the state garbage.  I feel we can compete and compete well with all state teams but the last time we played a big 3 we got schooled so those topics are so annoying, hopefully come bowl season we get a chance to take one of them down.

First off, we have a legitimate case for being the best team in the state right now.  You may not agree with this, I am not saying that I agree with this, but UF will likely have three losses in a few weeks and if we do our job we will be standing atop the heap. 

Last time we played a 'big three' we did not "get schooled".  Did you watch the game?  If so, you will know that it was a lot closer than the scoreboard read.  Additionally, to try to compare the team we have now to the 2005 team is absolutely ludicrous.  Just as a reminder, Pat Julmiste was our QB and Johnny Peyton was our top WR.  We have come a long way since then.

Perhaps you do not believe we are tops in the state right now.  But there are many of us who have listened for years to people spouting their SEC elitist ******** and now we have the ammo to counteract that argument.  Don't put down other fans just because you either don't have the faith or don't have the balls to speak up.

• Content Count:  498

I do agree we have a legit case, I said I feel we can compete and compete well with all state teams.  I hope we play one in a bowl.  I did not watch the UM game but I listened to it on the radio, I was working in California at the time so had to listen in my car on XM.  I remember it wasnt as bad as the score but it was still an L and not close.  Plus I agree it was a different year.  This year we are definetely better than UM and FSU and on a neutral field (Super Dome?) should be able to take UF out this year.  Their defense is too young and our D is too strong.

• Content Count:  3,403

First off, we have a legitimate case for being the best team in the state right now.  You may not agree with this, I am not saying that I agree with this, but UF will likely have three losses in a few weeks and if we do our job we will be standing atop the heap. 

Last time we played a 'big three' we did not "get schooled".  Did you watch the game?  If so, you will know that it was a lot closer than the scoreboard read.  Additionally, to try to compare the team we have now to the 2005 team is absolutely ludicrous.  Just as a reminder, Pat Julmiste was our QB and Johnny Peyton was our top WR.  We have come a long way since then.

Perhaps you do not believe we are tops in the state right now.  But there are many of us who have listened for years to people spouting their SEC elitist ******** and now we have the ammo to counteract that argument.  Don't put down other fans just because you either don't have the faith or don't have the balls to speak up.

Rather than responding to his response, I'll just say I agree with your comments here.  We have a legit case that we are the best team in the state, one of the worst of which is being higher ranked than all of them.  One of the best is that our defense is very good and our offense can be explosive if so far inconsistent.  We have the 13th hardest schedule in the nation so far and we are undefeated.

Oh, and this thread topic was stupid and pointless.  You can't stop people from being who they are, and we have every right to stand up for our school when it is attacked by misinformed idiots.

• Content Count:  3,674
  • Days Won:  4

I think this is a real cool and unique time for our fan base. I mean the base seems to be growing...we're getting tons of media attention....with it we are getting significant criticism that we are not used to. I can't say I expected or was prepared for it. You look at this team and go are they really this good?!? You're not sure if you should start to buy into the hype but it's real hard to find many flaws with this team. I've decided to just enjoy the ride and see where it takes us. We'll get some new jerks sure, but there will probably be a lot of cool people on that bandwagon also.  :hippy

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,380
  • Days Won:  491

And for the record, the bandwagon is cool...

The more the merrier.

• Content Count:  5,241

We've never been ranked, so Im gonna enjoy this however I want. We are fans! we are not the team! We can be happy, celebrate and talk crap as we choose.

Thats why we're called fans.  Live and die by your words

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Look, what's happened the last month is awesome and we're all thrilled about it. I thought about it some more and I guess the problem is that perspective is missing. USF football has never lost a really, really big game. We've never lost to a hated rival, or lost a championship-deciding game, or a landmark game on the schedule, or anything like that. It's just been going up, and up, and up, ever since 1997.

Like when the Bucs won the Super Bowl. They had been so bad for years, and then so close to winning for a few more years, that winning felt really good because you knew how bad it had been in the past. With USF football, there hasn't been any bad yet. Our entire history has been, basically, nothing but winning and growing. So instead of being satisfied, we're just cocky as hell. It's karma - whatever you do and say now might come back on you later on, if (and probably when) USF loses its first game.

My point is, just be happy that we have such a great team this year. We know what they're capable of and it doesn't matter what some coach or fan or sportswriter or morbidly obese Tampa Bay-area drive-time sports talk radio host wants to say about it. Leave the search for respect to the players.

P.S. If USF goes 13-0 and wins the national title, forget I ever started this thread.

Archived