Our fans can't handle prosperity.

Jamie

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,812
  • Days Won:  0

This has been a popular topic everywhere and I am glad you brought it up. What I am about to say may tick some off and maybe get me hated on this board but I doubt it.

Bottom line is no one fan or group of fans or message board has any greater rights to fandom than anyone else. There are different categories in college football and to me there are boosters; the people who donate money to the University and have donated for years. There are season ticket holders who buy season tickets and may or may not attend the games. There are Alumni who graduated from USF and those who attended class but may not have obtained a degree. Then there are fans of the program. Some people can belong to more than one of these categories as I know many on this board including myself do.

That being said we do not get to pick and chose who gets to be a fan of our University. It is not determined by post count on a message board or sharing of similar views. We can not ask for more fans and to sell out the stadium and than complain when these "new" fans do not fit the profile of what some see as perfect fans. I may not agree with everyone on this board and many probably do not agree with my style but I am a booster, Alumni, season ticket holder, and fan. The rights afforded me by these classifications are spelled out by the NCAA and the University and they send me rules every year and too date I have not broken any.

This whole new fan thing reminds me of watching UM and the Bucs grow into big time teams and the claims by the "old" fans that they had first right to all things good about that fandom. The funny thing is no one will ever admit to being a new fan. that is the point of becoming a "big" time program people start following your team and may not act they way they want but the old adage is if they are talking about you; you must be doing something.

Lets try to refrain from bashing new fans and instead continue to act as responsible ambassadors to Bulls football and remember there is no prize for being the oldest or best or anything else Bulls fan. A program that has been playing for 11 years is going to have new fans and either we accept them or we stay small and get used to 25,000 people at games and go back to CUSA IMO. The problem is we have outgrown that and there is no turning back; people will start to hate us and our fans and long as we win and remain relevant.

That's just my 2 cents.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,297

There are an awful lot of people, especially new posters, talking smack and flying off the handle every time someone takes any kind of half-hearted swipe at USF football. What exactly gives us the right to act like that? Winning two football games? Getting ranked?

We haven't won anything yet! There are still two months and eight games left in the season!

We're acting like the guy who suddenly comes into a lot of money and immediately turns into an a-hole. People running off to message boards of teams we may never play again, taunting them for losing games we don't care about. People finding student newspaper articles from 2500 miles away that may not have all their facts straight, losing their minds over it.

It's funny how everyone got so up in arms over West Virginia calling themselves the Yankees last week. Well, guess what - we're acting like Yankees fans right now and it's changing the way people think about our program. Right now we're winning with such a lack of class that I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking whatever they wanted about us. We need to get over ourselves, because this level of media attention and scrutiny goes on with every big-time college football program, and it's going to be around as long as USF is where they are.

Can you give any examples?  I have no problem with bull's fans setting other fans straight when they talk smack about us.  So what's the big deal......this board is for the fans and people are just having fun.  I haven't read anything that would suggest our fans being out of line.  Relax a little bit.....geez.....

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,380
  • Days Won:  491

People finding student newspaper articles from 2500 miles away that may not have all their facts straight, losing their minds over it.

Before I go any further, I'd like to state that I posted the story, but fail to see how I lost my mind over it.  For years I have pointed out inaccuracies in the "media."  I think it is important for people to know the perception of South Florida and why it is such - why the perceived "no respect", etc.  I believe we should correct others that report on USF incorrectly.  I don't condone resorting to insults, etc., but I would like to think that some people here have affected change (positively) by taking the time to correct the incorrect, whether it be a local beat writer, a less than renowned blogger like Ryan Hamilton, Nick Saban or that dude from 2500 miles away.

• Content Count:  385

There are an awful lot of people, especially new posters, talking smack and flying off the handle every time someone takes any kind of half-hearted swipe at USF football. What exactly gives us the right to act like that? Winning two football games? Getting ranked?

We haven't won anything yet! There are still two months and eight games left in the season!

We're acting like the guy who suddenly comes into a lot of money and immediately turns into an a-hole. People running off to message boards of teams we may never play again, taunting them for losing games we don't care about. People finding student newspaper articles from 2500 miles away that may not have all their facts straight, losing their minds over it.

It's funny how everyone got so up in arms over West Virginia calling themselves the Yankees last week. Well, guess what - we're acting like Yankees fans right now and it's changing the way people think about our program. Right now we're winning with such a lack of class that I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking whatever they wanted about us. We need to get over ourselves, because this level of media attention and scrutiny goes on with every big-time college football program, and it's going to be around as long as USF is where they are.

This is ridiculous, how can you criticize fans for getting excited about their team and defending them when someone takes a cheap shot? Sure the new fans may not be knowledgeable and a little irritating at times, but we have a real reason to be excited. This isn't some team that is getting lucky and winning with trick plays...this is a LEGIT top 10 team and there is no reason for me to think that we can't run the table.

And people still look down upon us...so there are times where I may speak a little arrogantly around my UF and FSU friends, just as they have done to me for the last 4 years.

GO BULLS / screw the haters

• Content Count:  104

We're acting like the guy who suddenly comes into a lot of money and immediately turns into an a-hole.

Oh... I think there's a lot of folks - especially around the state of Florida - who would say that we've always been ********.  Pick out the right couple dozen fans to base that opinion upon, and they're probably right.

The difference now is that we actually have done a little bit to back up our swagger... so I say stick with it.

Well, I must say that we shouldn't judge the whole fanbase by a few... some of our fans do not understand "good sportsmanship" ...

We heard from UNC and WVU fans about situations here or there...  Yet, when a few thousand of us went to Auburn, there were so many fewer stories ... if any ... about bad Auburn fans.

I think it all stems from the fact that CJL has basically improved every year... most fans don't know what it's like to go through a few years of struggling... where 8-4 is a good year... We're turning into Miami, UF, and FSU fans and we don't have the track record to back it up.

All USF fans need to be BETTER than fans of the Big three... because when USF fans act like jerks, it makes us all look bad.  Remember, folks, to the outside world, we're all USF fans... "the name on the front is more important than the name on the back". 

So if you're a great fan or a complete jerk, what you do affects how the outside world sees us.  For me, I'd rather be known as classy and quality fans who are passionate and knowledgable...

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  125

Wow, what a drama queen.

• Content Count:  1,911

"the name on the front is more important than the name on the back". 

Miracle.  Oh I thought we were doing the movie quotes game over in "The Trough".  ;)

• Content Count:  118

Unfortunately, this board somehow supports these people. You are not gonna change the mentality, until a majority of the posters on this board, rejects this protocol.

I talk to so many of my friends that won't even log in or chat on this board because of this.  

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,380
  • Days Won:  491

Unfortunately, this board somehow supports these people. You are not gonna change the mentality, until a majority of the posters on this board, rejects this protocol.

I talk to so many of my friends that won't even log in or chat on this board because of this. 

:ROFLMAO

This thread is insane.  We somehow support these people...oh, okay.  Let's just talk about football.  Leave the Bull on Bull stuff at the door.

Archived