Here we go again

Apis Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

As much as we don't want to hear it, anybody can be replaced.  That said, why would CJL want to leave here?  Often times coaches leave smaller schools to go to a big program, but USF is a big time program.  There is nothing that Michigan, TN, USC, Alabama, or others offer that he can't have here except more money, a change of scenery, or different bosses.

Money is great, but when you already make more than a million a year, and it looks like that should be secure for many years to come, it isn't all that important.  I could see the draw of a program such as Notre Dame (much like Spurrier with South Carolina) as a way to prove you can bring a program around again, but here he is writing the history book here with each season of improvement. 

The Pros?  I can't see why a coach would want to leave a major college program for a pro job unless he just gets tired of the recruiting and the boosters.  I don't think CJL is at that point.

I hope he stays until he retires, even if we have a few bad seasons thrown in, but if he does move on, I'm sure the Bulls will prosper.  The seed has already been planted, and the fruit is ripening before our very eyes.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  849
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know if money is really the issue.

Leavitt will make $7 million over 7 years, this does not include incentive bonuses such as bowl game, BCS game, and Conference Championship which is certainly attainable this year. He also will make an additional $500 K from that under armor deal that was just signed. More endorsements opportunities will come and as the football program grows, more endorsements will be available.

Coach Leavitt has an outside chance of a national championship appearance if we win out, this in only 11 years of playing football. He will end up being a legend here, it wouldn't make sense for him to go elsewhere.

If he does end up leaving, I guarantee it will be to a pro team. His style of football would translate well to the pro game.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,809
  • Days Won:  213

CJL will continue to get raises for himself and his staff as the budget allows. Will it be mega-millions right away?

Not right away. But it will build to that point. Why would he want to loeave when he has everything he needs right here?

It's a silly rumor-- and even if the UT's ofthe world come banging on his door-- he lives here and so do his friends and family. He will retire as the USF head coach. Woolard and genshaft will make sure he gets whatever they can give him to make sure this cash cow never stops growing.

And I don't see him going to the pros short of maybe someday coching the Bucs--- but he stil has plenty of things he wants to get done in the college ranks. College is his thing-- he's never been a pro player, assistant, or affiliated with the like.

• Content Count:  1,853
  • Days Won:  5

I think CJL is a better man than any other coach that leaves a program for "Bigger and better" things.

Hint: Leavitt > Saban

• Content Count:  22,774
  • Days Won:  53

I don't think it is possible for USF not to do anything in their power to keep this guy happy since he has created the whole thing.

• Content Count:  549
  • Days Won:  0

Rocky Top, they've been choppin coordinators for years haven't they?  Surely they know by now that the problem lies elsewhere.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  7,012
  • Days Won:  4

I would imagine that board rats - from any school that is 'under performing' (by their standard) -

would pretty much covet most things Bull at this point.

USF is getting positive pub across the board. This is the 'feel good' story (as of now) of '07

NCAA football. Jim Leavitt gets on-air-phone-time in ESPN games. This is the crest of the

wave for USF. Of course Leavitt would be viewed as a replacement for whoever.

On the other hand. Coach's have egos as well. USF is 'The House That Jim Built'. Remember

his comment about 'bama? About how if he took that job he'd be just another coach that also

got (maybe) a nat'l championship at Alabama...Well, this is his creation. He's the owner and captain of this

ship.

Granted money is a strong motivator, but it may not necessarily be the best motivator - especailly now.

• Content Count:  3,714
  • Days Won:  2

We need to get him a dining hall.

With all of the extra revenue from the sell outs (about $600K for 4 games), let's get it built.

• Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

"With all of the extra revenue from the sell outs (about $600K for 4 games), let's get it built. "

KB I agree with you!!!!  Let's get the darn thing built.  The team deserves it! :)

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of teams make a run. Leavitt stays but we're gonna have to pay up. At leat 1.5-2

Archived