Here we go again

Apis Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

It will not be TN I can assure you that....furthermore, anyone that says Leavitt has had preliminary talks is full of....I know that too.  It's funny someone would say such a thing.  

Here's how these things get started, and somewhat how Bama started, some prominent local UT booster in the Bay Area probably called someone in knoxsville after they lost to UF and told a big booster there that he knows Leavitt and they should consider him for future opportunities.  Technically they've contacted him because they've got an inside guy who knows him, but actually the school's never contacted him officially, and the booster has never talked specifically about taking the job- lots of gray matter clogging the facts.

Kinda like I have friends and family that are active at ND, I know Charlie Weiss might come on the hotseat real quick, one or two of those friends are boosters that also know Leavitt....connect another dot or two and then the degrees of separation dissolve and one can assume he'll now be a candidate.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,241

Leavitt aint goin anywhere.

He's not like the Rich Rodiriguez or the Nick Sabans who leave their coaching jobs at the first smell of millions. Rodiriguez  (or however you spell his last name) used the alabama offer to milk every last dollar out of West Virgnia.

Leavitt loves Florida, especially Tampa and its gonna take a whole lot more than a athletic food court and money to get him to leave happiness behind.

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Football Commandment No. 21

21. Neither shall you covet another team's Head Coach. Neither shall you desire another team's house, or field, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to another team.

• Content Count:  2,523

You never know where these things start.  Could be Leavitt's agent setting the stage to force a higher salary capitalizing on this season if it goes well.  However, Leavitt doesn't strike me as one of these guys who plays that game.  Seems to genuine to me and Leavitt's biggest thing is coaching OLD SCHOOL about heart, honor and being blue collar about going about your business.

Saban on the other hand is the "new coach", an opportunist and one trick pony.  He's in it for the money, could care less about the kids or his reputation.  If he did, he wouldn't have left the way he did at MSU for LSU.  He's a liar. 

From what I've seen from Leavitt, he's got too much class and is too focused to even pick up the phone and hear two minutes of this messs.  It's not like he's POOR or that the future or ceiling for this team has already been reached.  It's only going to get better!

Leavitt stays...especially bc no way in hell anyone would want to go to Tennessee...

• Content Count:  5,912
  • Days Won:  5

I don't think he will leave and here is why. Kill me if you would like, but this is the truth as I see it.

This program would crumble without CJL right now. It could be re-built, but if he were to leave, I think we would be in for a rocky next 10 years at best. He is the recruiter, he is the guy that makes this whole program go.

Without him, we have a mediocre program with no OCS, playing in what is perceived as a bad conference. If USF can't pay Leavitt, they aren't going to pony up the cash for a good coach to come in. You aren't going to lose Leavitt and replace him with Stoops. You may get McCarney or Burnham, and they are great, but it's still Leavitt's baby.

Sorry to use the analogy, but it would be like kicking your teenager out and having to watch as they fail. He is not going to want to do that (at least in my opinion). He needs to stay and make sure we are on a firm foundation before he goes (retires).

One thing that makes me nervous though is a coach I mentioned above. Everyone wonders why McCarney chose to come here. I am sure a pitch that went something like "well, I have been contacted by ______ about possibly coming there next year, if I do, this would get your foot in the door for the USF HC job."

Still though, I don't think he is going to leave. If he married a woman that can't live on the $$ he is making now, he probably should re-think that decision before taking more money. He seems like the type of guy that isn't that concerned about making a ton of money.

It will be a sad day when CJL leaves USF. Doesn't matter if it is tomorrow or in 50 years.

• Content Count:  1,911

Having seasons ... not being 100 degrees six months out of the year... no hurricanes... cost of living ... i could go on for a while

• Content Count:  5,241

If anything, Mccarney will replace wally burnham.

• Content Count:  594

He has to do what's best for his daughter, and that may be taking the enormous salaries that will be coming his way and which our athletic department cannot even come close to offering.

• Content Count:  4,879

For CJL it never has been about the $$$.

As long as his parents are alive and in St. Pete, USF is safe with CJL by just doing right by him.

• Content Count:  2,580
  • Days Won:  1

Load of crap.  If he appears interested, I'm sure it will be only to gain leverage w/ USF.

Archived