Here we go again

Apis Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Ugh, who would leave Florida for Tennessee. Money is one thing... but, why leave a state where people come for Spring Break?

Go Bulls!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,416
  • Days Won:  1

With each new school that comes calling... Jim's leverage at USF gets stronger and stronger...  He will get a raise and stay loyal to the BULLS... 

• Content Count:  133
  • Days Won:  0

Before the season.. MAYBE, but now NO WAY he has everything in full swing here. His next contract will be HUGE and he is going to get a lot of recruits he was hoping for.

• Content Count:  3,078

Ugh, who would leave Florida for Tennessee. Money is one thing... but, why leave a state where people come for Spring Break?

Go Bulls!

Having seasons ... not being 100 degrees six months out of the year... no hurricanes... cost of living ... i could go on for a while

as for the "rumor" it is just that.  This season is nowhere near over yet and I HIGHLY doubt Fulmer will be gone after this season.  Coaches and coordinators will be axed at this rate, but Fat Phil has at least one more year to get things going. 

• Content Count:  104

I kind of disagree with the sentiment here.  If Jim were ever going to leave, it seems to me that (assuming this season continues the way it has) now is the optimal time for him to make that move.  Say we win out and beat BC in the Orange Bowl to finish 13-0.  When is he EVER going to be able to command more money and have more suitors bidding against one another?  Emotionally, yeah, he stays here forever.  But if the "business" of college football enters into the decision, there's never going to be a higher price for JL than right now.

• Content Count:  2,523

Recruiting would actually be harder.  TN is losing kids at an alarming rate to AU, Bama, GT, UGA and others and TN itself isn't big enough to really "self support" the talent you need to be competitive.  Especially with schools like USC, UF etc poaching from everywhere.

If he stays at USF, he'll do what he can't do anywhere else.  Write history and possibly become one of the GREATEST coaches ever.  Who else can say they built a program from scratch and won a NC at it?  Plus, USF will have the money to pay him handsomely.  You aren't as big as USF and don't have money.  It's whether they are willing to part with it and the prospect of losing Leavitt would be too big for folks to bear.

We need to get some big pay days by many of the teams in the conference so that money starts filtering down.  That's where the money will come to keep him.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

^ $$$$$$$$$$

I dont see it happening but Tenn could outbid USF

Perhaps Tennesee could come up with the money, but over the long range, I would think the money will actually end up being more her at USF.  With the job security he would have here at USF, he could be here his entire career.  Another 15 to 20 years.  If we wnet somewhere else he would make good money for a few years with no job security whatsoever.  He'd be one bad season away from going somewhere else.  In the bigger scheme of things, and I think Leavitt has said this himself, at another, already established program, he's just another in a long line of coaches.  At USF they'll be naming the stadium after him.  That won't be happening at Tenn, Alabama, K-State, Michigan or anywhere else they can throw at him.  it is always a possinbility, I just don't see it happening.  I think his situation is unique ( the first coach and the the guy that brought it to prominence) here plus I think he is a unique guy.

I personal hope (and pray) he stays, but there will undoubtedly be big bucks thrown his way now.

Had this all happened last year, I'd be pretty confident. Isn't he married now? I know as a single guy he could justify turning down more money for comfort level and familiarity, but now there is someone else involved. Not to say just because he has a wife now he can't continue working where he has put all of his heart, but I think it might complicate things when offered three times the money.

Hope he stays... the money will eventually catch up to his value as fan support and donations increase.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,692
  • Days Won:  13

I think you guys should read the thread from the board this rumor came from. Very interesting. I enjoyed looking at what some Tenn fans have to say about USF.

• Content Count:  1,165

Funny stuff...I don't see Jim Leavitt closing the book on his USF story just yet.

I can see him leaving USF one day, but not now and not Tennessee.

But it makes for good conversation.

pretty much my thoughts

Archived