Romano 12-0 Comment now attributed to "USF Bulls"?

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,380
  • Days Won:  491

images_image_116224209

USF Bulls now talk about being 12-0

COLUMN

By John Veasey

Times West Virginian

The South Florida football team is now being mentioned in the same sentence as “possible 12-0 record” following its upset of West Virginia Friday night. St. Petersburg Times columnist John Romano wrote Monday “Welcome to the greatest story ever polled” after South Florida wound up No. 6 in the latest AP poll. The Bulls had never been ranked until they topped Auburn recently. ...

I think WVU got a good break from the pollsters who still saw fit to rank Rich Rodriguez’s Mountaineers in the No. 13 slot after that embarrassing loss to South Florida Friday night. I had expected they would fall to 17th or 18th place. The fact South Florida is No. 6 is somewhat surprising, but its victory over Auburn looks better now that the Tigers have topped defending national champion Florida. ...

Don’t look for any Big East team to finish unbeaten in league play this year. South Florida WILL be beaten (despite John Romano writing that “they have every right to expect to be 12-0” and so will Connecticut, Rutgers, Cincinnati and, of course, Syracuse. What’s that they always say? There’s so much parity in the league this year. ...

Most people have the Syracuse game already written into the record books as a victory for WVU Saturday, but the Orange is seldom easy. It’s a shame Syracuse had to lose to Miami of Ohio Saturday in a battle of 1-3 teams, but it should be remembered that Syracuse’s lone victory was over Louisville — once a top 5 team. Quarterback Andrew Robinson passed for 423 yards and four touchdowns in the 38-35 victory over Louisville. ...

Steve Slaton, the other half of West Virginia’s potent offensive tandem, hasn’t been as impressive this year as WVU fans had hoped. At South Florida, he fumbled twice and had a poorly thrown pass glance off him and wind up in the hands of a South Florida linebacker. I liked what WVU receiver Dorrell Jalloh had to say. “We’ve got to keep our heads up high. At times like this, when you have adversity, you have to persevere.” ...

Link

They need a better headline writer....The title is a little misleading as in no players I know of have been quoted talking about 12-0, just a writer and maybe a few fans.  Scared me when I saw this headline. 

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Boooo... I agree Bulliever. I doubt any starter is thinking 12-0. They're thinking 5-0 and that's it.

• Content Count:  104
  • Days Won:  0

I know the coaches and players won't say it, but shouldn't we expect to be 12-0?  Look at the rest of our schedule.  Who on that schedule should we not expect to beat?  Rutgers is probably the toughest game on the schedule since we're playing with 5 days rest and its on the road, but Rutgers was pretty well exposed by Maryland last weekend.  We've got Cincy at home, so we should be able to handle them.  UL is at home too and they appear to have been a paper tiger this year as well.  Who are we going to lose to?  Syracuse?  UConn?  UCF?

Seriously, with our remaining schedule, one of two things:  Either we run the table from here or we aren't a legitimate top 10 team.  Because there sure as hell aren't any top 10 teams left on our schedule.

• Content Count:  5,903

Cincy, Rutgers, and Louisville are all possible losses. We were 0-3 against them last year.

We have to put points on the board with both Cincy and Louisville. Rutgers? I'm unsure about.

Expectations are one thing...coming out and talking to the media about going 12-0 is another...We all want to win every game we play whether football or checkers.  My only point is the article's headline could lead one to believe the players are talking about 12-0.  If they were, a local media outlet would have covered...note the writer for the WV paper is quoting a St. Pete times writer, not a player...just a tricky headline, that's all.  Maybe it gives Bulletin Board material to those remaining on our schedule and that was the intention...or the headline writer is just stupid.  While CJL has been allowing players to talk to the media at an unprecedented level, he would not allow this kind of talk.  Confidence without a lack of focus on Game 5.

• Content Count:  849

Cincy is our toughest game because they have the toughest defense. Louisville can put a ton of points on the board and they aren't a one dimensional offense like WVU or Rutgers. Don't let Mike Teel's passing numbers fool you, they were against inferior competition.

In order it will be Cincy, Louisville and Rutgers. I know it sounds crazy but we played one of our sloppiest games against Rutgers and still only lost by 2. Had Matt Grothe not fumbled in the red zone or had we not missed that early FG the game would have been ours. We were also missing key starters for that game too.

• Content Count:  104

I think that's bulletin board material enough.  If that doesn't get opponents to bring their "A" game, nothing will.

• Content Count:  2,495

Off the top of my head series records:

FAU 1-0

UCF 2-0

Rutgers 1-1

UCONN 3-1

Cincy 2-2

Louisville 2-2

Pitt 2-2

Obviously we have to show up every week, but why shouldn't we expect to win all these games?

Clearly my point is being missed...I'm not talking about fans.  Read the headline of the story, as if you were skimming headlines....Wow, "USF BULLS" now talk about 12-0!  Who Mike Jenkins?  Jim Leavitt?  Matt Grothe (maybe)?  That's my point.  We fans and hacks can all talk about it, but I doubt CJL and his team are talking to reporters about 12-0 as we sit here at 4-0...as Bill O'Reilly would say (that's for you smazza) that would "be ridiculous."

Archived