Offensive Issues

JoeB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I think the Bulls also need to identify their best players at the skill positions and stick with them. They've been rolling different backs and receivers in and out of the game for the entire season. I think it makes it tough for the offensive to get a lot of continuity going when Grothe is constantly handing the ball to a different running back or throwing it to different wide receivers.

• Content Count:  1,528
  • Days Won:  0

I coulnt agree more BulFreak. I keep thinking that if we get Ford 20+ carries he's going to wear down the defense with his size, and break some huge runs. I think as the season goes on we need to narrow it down to 2 main backs. We've got to get these guys into a rythm.

• Content Count:  808

JoeB -- one of the things Ive been disappointed about this year is Taurus' seeming inability to "break free".  I keep thinking back to the highlight reel of him against 'Cuse where Grothe hits him up the middle and he turns on the afterburners. When he gets running room, you might as well not even waste the energy chasing him.  But this year he hasn't picked up much yardage after the catches.  Hope that gets better, I really want to see him open it up some! I dont think this is indicative of anything he's doing wrong, per se...seems like a playbook change.

• Content Count:  880

Grothe is best when he passes on the run, most of his interceptions come while throwing from the pocket.  We need to have more plays designed to roll the pocket giving Grothe the ability to make plays on his own this is what he is best at.  Our play calling is not as bad as the Rod Smith era but it is getting predictable.  One other thing that must happen is to get Mike Frod the ball at least 20 times a game, screen passes, downfield passes, reverses, and oh yes rushes. 

Agree that we need to get Grothe back out with a moving pocket.  They picked up on it on one of the broadcasts a few weeks ago as well.  Any thoughts that Matt sees the field better when he's out from behind the 6'6" big boys up front?

• Content Count:  500

what kills me about our running game is it seems to me that Ford and Taylor need to get at least 10+ carries to be effective and the coaching staff is not allowing that to happened I know they are freshmen (meaning the don’t know the total package i.e. pass blocking and blitz pickups) but they need to get some serious reps. I would like to see us stick to one back for a complete series and stop switching them ever other play.

I havent seen a series this season where we alternate RB's. The RB who starts finishes, except on 3rd and long, Ben Williams will come in if he isnt already.

• Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

I'm not overly concerned.  As ESPN pointed out, we haven't been behind by more than 3 points all season.  We really haven't aired it out yet, and we're experimenting with a new found running game.  We should get our rhythm the next couple of games.

(MikeG's head is going to explode. :) )

• Content Count:  64

First, Ammari Jackson. I think he tries to do too much after catching the ball. I know he wants to be a play maker, but he needs to start with making that leaping catch over all the short defenders out there. Some of the problem is that MG passes are a little short but that is another issue. I can't help but compare him to a Keyshawn Johnson. Catch the ball, take the hit, get up and line up again

MG...he needs to work on his accuracy on the long ball and his timing on the short ball.

Running Game. iIdon't think any of them are heads and shoulders above the others. they are all pretty good but anyone can have a break out game on any given saturday. Plus i am not sure Ford picks up blocks as great as the others, but he may be a better runner. together they all make a great running game.

coaching staff still needs time to figure themselves out

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

No reason to be worried about the offense.  The only games we "struggled" against, if you want to call it that, are Auburn and WVU.  That's the same Auburn offense that held Florida to 12 first down on offense, 111 rushing yards and 200 passing yards.  WVU wasn't a number 5 team for nothing.  The same defense that gave up a total of 160 total yards to ECU the week before. 

We also have been running an offense with 2 Freshman RBs still learning the offense and dealing with a bunch of injuries on the line.  When we have needed to, we have been able to move the ball.  it's when we go into "kill the clock" mode is where we get into trouble.

The only concern has been lack of TDs in the red zone, but as Taylor and Ford become more familiar with the offense and speed at this level, I expect to see more productivity.  Just like last year.

Archived