Offensive Issues

JoeB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,822
  • Days Won:  9

Enough of this other talk, but we need to address some of the things going on with the Offense.  Here are the main concerns after four games from an Offensive perspective.

MGs Turnovers-  The first two games were good, but the last two haven't been good protecting the ball.  Need him to stay focused and not lay it on the ground, or throw into good coverage.

Lack of Quality Running Game-  We've been able to move the ball at times on the ground, but not to the point where we are great.  Right now, I'd list our running attack grade as a C.  Its a passing grade, but we can do better.

Receivers Helping Out-  At times we've had some big plays (Carlton Mitchell), but overall its been average at best.  The best feature of our wideouts might be the blocking downfield.  Am I expecting too much out of Amarri Jackson and Taurus Johnson in particular?

Red Zone Conversions-  Red Zone only covers from inside the 20 so I'll include anytime we're inside the 35 as chances to score.  It needs to get better if we expect to stay in the Top 10.  Its a combination of our offense not being able to dictate the play and ineffective field goal kicking.  This is a real concern at this point.

Yes we're 4-0, so all is good in Bulls Country.  Things could be a whole lot better if we are able to correct some of these problems.  Our best play basically is a broken play where MG finds somebody open downfield.  We can't always depend on this.  Just look back to Cincinnati last year, and all of these issues were prevalent then too.  Don't want to be negative, but there are things we can work on.  This is good for CJL and staff, as it will allow our players to focus on whats important (on the field), and to not focus on the off the field stuff.

Go Bulls!!! 

• Content Count:  635
  • Days Won:  0

i think, in general, we have a problem with momentum. we had some big yard gainers, but didn't get a TD out of it. or we've had a great turnover from our D, and turn it into nothing. we need to have that killer instinct that keeps the ball rolling when we start pushing it. it's what's keeping us right now from being a "great" team.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Amarri (at least in the WV game) had some bad passes thrown his way. They hit his hands, and in my book that makes him responsible, but... a bad throw behind him isn't exactly the easiest thing to catch.

Grothe used to run the ball when he saw there was bad coverage... now he try to throw into it. Roll out and if you see strong coverage throw the ball away.

• Content Count:  4,642

you can bet they are working on it as hard as they can.  they will be awesome by the time we are going to rutgers.

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  52

Grothe is best when he passes on the run, most of his interceptions come while throwing from the pocket.  We need to have more plays designed to roll the pocket giving Grothe the ability to make plays on his own this is what he is best at.  Our play calling is not as bad as the Rod Smith era but it is getting predictable.  One other thing that must happen is to get Mike Frod the ball at least 20 times a game, screen passes, downfield passes, reverses, and oh yes rushes. 

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

I'm sure the offense took a beating in the film room earlier this week and will play with a renewed vigor this weekend.

• Content Count:  9,822
  • Days Won:  9

I'm sure the offense took a beating in the film room earlier this week and will play with a renewed vigor this weekend.

I totally agree.  I just wanted to post something football related.  All of this radio host stuff and Saban stuff is out of control.  Lets keep focused on the prize Bulls Fans. 

BEAT FAU!!!!

• Content Count:  585

I think you guys need to run a few plays out of the wildcat package. Line ford up as the qb and put grothe out as a wr and run another wr in motion.

• Content Count:  1,528

I too am concerned about our offense, I keep waiting for it to start clicking like last year. I think Grothe will be fine, he just had a bad game. I so want Amarri to step up this season and play to the level of his ability. I wish we could get the ball in his hands more but he's got to do his part and hold onto the ball.

Also, we need to cash in on ALL of our chip shot FG opportunities. I'm not expecting to hit 40+ yarders every time, but we need to hit our FGs inside the 35 yard range or its going to catch us in a game.

Not sure what's up with Mike Ford. He breaks off a 35 yard run against West Va, fumbles the ball, then he's relegated to sideline patrol. What is his role going to be with this team?

• Content Count:  7,890

what kills me about our running game is it seems to me that Ford and Taylor need to get at least 10+ carries to be effective and the coaching staff is not allowing that to happened I know they are freshmen (meaning the don’t know the total package i.e. pass blocking and blitz pickups) but they need to get some serious reps. I would like to see us stick to one back for a complete series and stop switching them ever other play.

Archived