FAU has the most delusional fans in college football

BULLfreak

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

I like this FAUFB guy.  If you don't think your team can win, why the hell would you even go to the game?

Go FAU... immediately after USF whoops your ass, that is!  ;-)

Where did I say, I didn't think we could win? I'm just re-affirming the overall thoughts of this board & this fanbase. Just like you stated before. You've already penciled this game in, as a win already, right?

I'll state it again, because you clearly missed it.

USF 20

FAU 27

FAUFB -

Don't let a couple of our fans give you the wrong impression. There are no easy wins in Div 1 A and last weekend proved that, and alot of us are well aware of that. FAU has come a long way in a short time...beating a Big Ten team so soon is extremely impressive and shows that you guys definitely have the talent to succeed...and we shouldn't be suprised since you "fish" from some the same recruiting pools as the rest of the state schools. You certainly have enough to pull off the upset this weekend, but there is certainly every reason for our fans to be confident based on the way things have gone thus far this season.

Bottom Line: Even if some of our fans might be "overlooking" the game this week, there's no doubt that you have the attention of Coach leavitt and the team.

Look forward to seeing a USF win this weekend but good luck to the Owls thereafter...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  22,774
  • Days Won:  53

Bottom Line: Even if some of our fans might be "overlooking" the game this week, there's no doubt that you have the attention of Coach leavitt and the team.

Ding!

Also, I really doubt fans are overlooking this game either.  I know I am looking forward to seeing how the team does after that WVU game.

• Content Count:  488

When did we become "big brother"? Last I checked we were a decade old program that had it's first ranking two weeks ago and no conference championships. You can't have it both ways...you can't say that the Big 3 disrespect USF and also say that FAU fans are delusional. Pot meet kettle.

FAU has a solid program...good D with an O that has yet to consistently get on track. Do I think we'll win...of course I do. But last I checked, we have not gotten to the point where there are any easy W's on our schedule... Good for their fans if they see an upset...

Sounds to me like humility is losing its place on the bandwagon....  Next thing you know we'll be rolling into Ft. Lauderdale wearing Yankees caps.... :-[

I totally concur with this post.  I'm hoping just the fans think like this and not the players.  I can only assume that the players have the same attitude as Coach Leavitt...not getting ahead of himself.

FAU is definitely moving fast with establishing their own program as a contender.  They've done a great deal in six short years.  FIU is also trying to move up in the world quickly, although they are not progressing as well as FAU.

Humility is as important as confidence.  I try not to forget where we came from.  But I'm glad there are some big talkers here, though, or it would be really boring reading these posts. ;D

Guest Melissa

The FAU fans of today remind me of the USF fans from the start. FAU isn't a bad team. They have a great coach, they also have a solid O. They're a smaller team, and it will take them a few more years to build up their program... but they are at a better place in their program now than most other programs would be in their few short years (didn't FIU and FAU start out on the field the same year?). The FAU fans I've met have nothing but heart, and you know what? Sometimes it takes someone to believe in you in order for you to believe in yourself. If the fans didn't support their team and didn't give a rats ass about winning or losing then the team wouldn't either. I don't think FAU fans are delusional; rightfully optimistic maybe, but not delusional. Now... if FIU fans had the same gusto I would call them delusional... if I remember correctly: FAU's wins and losses are pretty evenly split over their existence... they have had winning seasons. I don't think FIU has even won 20 games in all of their years. FAU has put up a good game even when they've lost against ranked teams on many occassions.

While I still think that we (USF) are going to win - I don't think this game is going to be a TOTAL blowout. I put us ahead by 14. But then again - I've been wrong before, so whatever. I just want to see a good game, and I think it will be a better game then people are giving FAU credit for...

I know that some FAU fans are embarrassed about hosting a #6 team at Lockhart... I think that we'll have more green and gold there than they will have fans... everyone has to start somewhere, I think it's a little too early to start sticking our noses up at fans/teams we haven't even yet played. We need to stay humble and focused, there isn't a single game we play that we can take for granted.

• Content Count:  60

I like this FAUFB guy.  If you don't think your team can win, why the hell would you even go to the game?

Go FAU... immediately after USF whoops your ass, that is!  ;-)

Where did I say, I didn't think we could win? I'm just re-affirming the overall thoughts of this board & this fanbase. Just like you stated before. You've already penciled this game in, as a win already, right?

I'll state it again, because you clearly missed it.

USF 20

FAU 27

FAUFB -

Don't let a couple of our fans give you the wrong impression. There are no easy wins in Div 1 A and last weekend proved that, and alot of us are well aware of that. FAU has come a long way in a short time...beating a Big Ten team so soon is extremely impressive and shows that you guys definitely have the talent to succeed...and we shouldn't be suprised since you "fish" from some the same recruiting pools as the rest of the state schools. You certainly have enough to pull off the upset this weekend, but there is certainly every reason for our fans to be confident based on the way things have gone thus far this season.

Look forward to seeing a USF win this weekend but good luck to the Owls thereafter...

I'm not. It was pretty much what I expected after a big win, like you guys just had. Everybody ridin' high, I get it, especially from the younger fans. You guys have a lot to cheer about. I think both team match up well. Hopefully we can get our running game going, but it'll be tough against your defense.

I do hope the players of USF, are reading their press clippings though, and looking ahead to UCF & Rutgers. Anything can happen.

Go Owls!!!

• Content Count:  635

the Minnesota win for FAU reminds me of our first huge win against Pittsburgh.

• Content Count:  4,016

the Minnesota win for FAU reminds me of our first huge win against Pittsburgh.

Not to diminish FAU's accomplishment, but Pitt went to a bowl game that year, and won against NCST finishing 8-4.  No, in fact the Minnesota win to me pales in comparison to their 2004 season starting victory over Hawaii in Honolulu, June Jones led UH.  Hawaii won their bowl game that year too.  That will probably go down as more impressive then Minnesota, although this team might be better.

I was a friend of Kamp Rodgers so I followed FAU a bit.  Remember this is a Schnellenberger coached teams, and Schnelly's teams have a lot of fight in them.  Ask UL, and UM.  They have a lot of speed on defense, and enough on offense to burn us.

With that being said, as long as our secondary doesn't get overconfident I think FAU will have trouble passing on them.  They're ranked 97th in rushing so they're a very sub-par rushing team, but rank 30th in passing so they're going to sling the ball down the field averaging about 37 pass attempts a game.  Shut down the run, funnel the passing game to short routes, and capitalize on getting negative plays like we've done the first four games...get them in 2nd and 13, 3rd and 11, and the defense will do it's part.  Our defense has 16 sacks in 4 games so far, FAU has 7 in 5, they have 25 TFL in 5 games, we have 49 in 4.  These are pivotal stats because it demonstrates a team's speed and ability to penetrate blocking schemes and make things happen.  FAU to have any chance against us will need to avoid the negative plays, because we averaged over 12 a game.

On defense they're fast, possibly as fast as Auburn, but much, much smaller then Auburn.  Get sloppy and their speed will capitalize by getting turnovers because they have hard hitting safeties and a MLB.  The key is to protect the ball, run hard, we've got to establish the run.  To me this is the trick, they have the 107th ranked pass defense but don't get lulled into thinking that's how to beat them.  Run the ball, force the issue then pass it on them.  Once play action, and the rushing attack has them concerned then it will be easy to go over top on them.  They only average about 1 sack a game and 1 QBH a game, USF averages nearly 10 QBH's a game (which is somewhat of a subjective stat- but look at Moffitt's INT for a score against WVU that was brought on by immense pressure by Buie hitting White as he threw it- a QBH).  Run batter them all day in the sun, then start to use the passing game.

I think it will be a tough game because simply we're playing a Schnelly team.  The first half will be a battle and he'll dabble in his bag of tricks...he loves flee flickers, loves end arounds, and loves halfback passes.  Keep them honest, and force them to grind it out on offense, stop the turnovers on offense on our end, and we should be fine.

• Content Count:  29

also, do you know if Nello Faulk in the NFL? i went to high school with the guy.

Nello was cut by the Jaguars during training camp. I believe he's back in school finishing up his degree, but he's been on the sideline for both our home games this season. You can't miss him, he's kinda big.

• Content Count:  635

also, do you know if Nello Faulk in the NFL? i went to high school with the guy.

Nello was cut by the Jaguars during training camp. I believe he's back in school finishing up his degree, but he's been on the sideline for both our home games this season. You can't miss him, he's kinda big.

yeah he is. you should've seen him during halftime at football games, he also played the drums. in full football gear. well, except for the helmet.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Some of our newer fans don't remember what is was like to be in FAU's shoes, struggling for respect.

Archived