• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,593
  • Days Won:  13

Emphasis added...

Inside South Florida's win

by Alex Delanian

Saturday September 29, 2007, 10:48 AM

Scared of the Bulls yet?

No. 18 South Florida had the speed and intelligence to make the stops when needed in a 21-13 victory over No. 5 West Virginia on Friday night, even if it was ugly as can be.

West Virginia had more passing and rushing yards than South Florida and committed only one penalty, but also had six turnovers and made only 5-of-17 third-down conversions. The team also attempted six fourth-down conversions and was successful on three, turning it over on downs three more times.

There will be a chorus of what-ifs in Morgantown regarding the second-quarter thigh injury to Pat White, suggesting that the ending would've been different with a Heisman Trophy candidate leading the comeback. But it's not as if backup quarterback Jarrett Brown didn't move the ball, completing 11-of-20 passes and rushing for a team-high 61 yards. He threw two interceptions, but White threw one of his own before leaving the game and was only averaging 5.6 yards per completion.

The scariest thing about South Florida is its ability to win even when the offense is sputtering. Ben Moffitt's first-quarter touchdown off an interception stunned West Virginia. The passing game turned conservative, contributing to White's meager statistics, and coach Rich Rodriguez began to abandon the run. Steve Slaton had just 13 carries for 54 yards and many of Brown's 15 carries were scrambles when the pocket broke down.

There were two important lessons for Rutgers in this game - West Virginia can be stopped (with a little help from an injured thigh) and you can't let South Florida get ahead and play catch-up against that defense. In our preseason selections, I said Rutgers' two losses this season would be to West Virginia and South Florida, and I stand by that. Now I'm convinced that both games will be closer than I anticipated.

And speaking of predictions, the Star-Ledger's elder statesmen, Tom Luicci and Steve Politi, both picked West Virginia to win this game, while this youthfully exuberant writer picked South Florida. It's my opinion that the great thinkers in society often go against the grain. Some of us are leaders, others are followers ... I'll leave it at that.

Link to Story

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

"There will be a chorus of what-ifs in Morgantown regarding the second-quarter thigh injury to Pat White, suggesting that the ending would've been different with a Heisman Trophy candidate leading the comeback."

I wave the BS flag at that.  I think his ego was bruised worse than his thigh.  Can't say I blame him, he was getting pounded almost every other down.  Not something he's used to.

• Content Count:  275

There's ALWAYS an excuse. If you ask me, white faked the injury and left the game because he was SCARED!!

he messed with the bulls and CAUGHT the horns, right in the thigh:) we gored him good

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Can't say I blame him, he was getting pounded almost every other down.  Not something he's used to.

We knocked him out of last years game for a bit as well.

• Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

I don't think the game would have been as close had Brown not gotten into the game.  There were a few miscues handling the ball because he doesn't have as much experience with the guys, but he was much stronger and much more poised than White.  Brown seemed to be as mobile as White, but mowed down our smaller defenders a few times.  It may have been a different outcome if Garrett Brown had played the whole game.

• Content Count:  488

"What ifs" never count in life, especially in football.  It's just win or lose in this game.  We and everybody else can say "what ifs" all day long, but when it comes down to it...The Bulls were the BETTER team.  And to be quite honest, why can't we say we ARE the better team.  We have beaten them twice.  I think we deserve to say that until next year.

What if Matt had not shaved his head?  I think he would of had a better game.  What if Ford had not worn those gloves?  Maybe he wouldn't have fumbled.  What if...oh for christmas sake.  Screw all the naysayers!

Archived