Greg Gregory/Offense -- What's Your Take So Far??

Guest JulmisteForPrez

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

If anything, Grothe throws the ball too much on a line.  He's so geeked up he tries to throw it as hard as he can.  Then he misses guys on crossing routes vs. floating it in front of them and letting them run through the route and then on the deep balls, same thing.  If he puts more air under those balls, they all go for TDs vs. picks and incompletions as all of the WRs had their guys beat.  Plus, underthrowing takes away our WRs biggest advantage, height.

It's ok though, it's to be expected with a young QB, he'll get better.  The fact is, that same heart is what led to that big TD to Mitchell and him running for all those first downs on that TD drive in the second half, so you take the good with the bad.  He's going to be a stud once he gets his emotions under control.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Man our offense looked ugly tonight

• Content Count:  1,299

When we got ball about 6 minutes to halftime, MG threw a pick off... why dont they run few minutes first so WVU wont have enough time for some points before halftime..

• Content Count:  919

Like many people i thought we would open up our playbook this week. Play action, trick plays, throwing it deep ... all i saw was the same offense that we've played all year and a fantastic D who bailed out the offense. Im a big believer in D wins ball games but we need to start playing better on offense. Ford fumbled twice, Amarri drops two passes (while they might not have been the greatest throws) they hit him right in the 18. Grothe needs to make better passes. Enough floating the ball ... rifle the pig skin in there!

I'm not taking anything away from this win. It was a hard fought, grind it out win and I'm happier then a pig in poo. Just wanted to see if anyone else agrees with me on this!

Bring on those Owls!

GO BULLS!

This was not the same O as all year.  They broke out the I-formation and ran several wrinkles off of it.  Also new was that they ran some draws off off the fake WR screens.  They also took some shots downfield off of PA after TO's. 

I really liked what I saw from the play calling and game planning, the execution was off.  Spielman nailed it - if Grothe threw lnog instead of short, those 2 ints would have been incomplete or TD's.

Jamar Taylor has great footwork, and will be a stud as the season progresses.  Ford needs to clean up a few things but will be a force.  The O-Line protected great.  The pieces are there, the O just needs to be more consistent.  I'm optomistic about them getting it together.

• Content Count:  919

My first thoughts are that he had two very bad play calls that came at key moments.

After Allen's fumble recovery, I thought we could have pretty much put the game away at that point.  He got away from what was working.  We had the ball after the turnover at WVU 26 with 6 minutes to go in the half.  Why even throw the ball downfield?  Run the freaking clock out.  Even if we score there on the first play,  why let WVU have the ball back so quick.  Even if we pick up 5 or 6 yards and have to try a field goal (Alvarado is another matter), you give them the ball back probably with less than 2 minutes left and deep in their own territory or without any TO s left. I thought that was horrible play calling to throw the ball downfiled like that and even worse clock management.

The other bad play call was trying to throw on 3rd down with 3:00 minutes left on thrid and 8.  Same situation as before.  Unless you get the first down, only bad things can happen in that situation.  Worst case happened.  The sack.  Just as bad, incomplete pass.  You kill the clock with an incomplete.  Just run the ball and either force them to use a TO or run another 45 seconds off the clock.  We are absolutely atrocious at clock management.  With the way our defense was playing.  Let the clock run down as far as you can and let our defense win the game for us.

Other than those two key times, The play calling wasn't too bad.  Amarri Jackson cannot keep dropping passes.  He dropped two first downs tonight.  I also think our coaches gave up on Ford too easily after the fumble. I guess they can do that when we can just go right to Taylor though.

Absolutely agree with your first point.  The D was on the field for a long time before forcing the TO.  USF needed to run the ball to let the D rest.  Settling for a FG would not have been bad.  WV's FG before half was directly related to a tired USF defense.

Although not perfect, Gregory's playcalling is much better than what we had last year.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Although not perfect, Gregory's playcalling is much better than what we had last year.

I don't agree with that.......at least not so far.

Someone said it's because he hasn't opened up the playbook yet.

Well what on earth is he waiting for...........FAU??

This was West Virginia........if you don't open the playbook against a team like that, you're not going to.

The offense scored 14 last night.

Not enough.

Great win Bulls............Coach Gregory, please inject a little imagination/misdirection/verticality into the offense.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,894
  • Days Won:  6

Guys, I think the play calling is fine, not that I'm an expert.  But **** against the #5 team in the country, there were at least 2, maybe 3 downfield passes last night where our WR had beat the D big time, but Matt underthrew the balls.  Would have easily been 2 more td's.

• Content Count:  21,568
  • Days Won:  10

Either WVA has a great defense or our offense looks bad.  A) Matt Grothe is not completing passes and throughing into bad coverage  B) Our run game go's in spirts.  It is difficult to watch

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Like many people i thought we would open up our playbook this week. Play action, trick plays, throwing it deep ... all i saw was the same offense that we've played all year and a fantastic D who bailed out the offense. Im a big believer in D wins ball games but we need to start playing better on offense. Ford fumbled twice, Amarri drops two passes (while they might not have been the greatest throws) they hit him right in the 18. Grothe needs to make better passes. Enough floating the ball ... rifle the pig skin in there!

I'm not taking anything away from this win. It was a hard fought, grind it out win and I'm happier then a pig in poo. Just wanted to see if anyone else agrees with me on this!

Bring on those Owls!

GO BULLS!

We were keeping it vanilla for FAU!

Archived