Greg Gregory/Offense -- What's Your Take So Far??

Guest JulmisteForPrez

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I wouldn't be surprised if Leavitt decided to take the air out of the ball once it got to 21-3. Grothe was having a bad night throwing the ball and that way they wouldn't give WVU any cheap points.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,570

This is too much like the old Dungy Bucs team. Inefficient offense causes the defense to ware out. We should have had at least 35+ points. Before we get someone posting "We won , and you guys are nitpicking."  I'm very happy for the win. But I'm not surprise that we won. I said that WVU had too much to lose in this game. The pressure was on them. But like Jim Leavitt would say. " We have FAU to take care of next." And the offense has to get better. Mike Ford scares me when he runs the ball. I'm surprise that he hasn't fumble more with the way he carry the ball down by his hips. I hope he learn to run with the ball high and tight like Tiki Barber.

• Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  19

Ford put the ball on the ground twice.  You cannot have him in this game playing like he was.  Grothe made some good decisions, but he either could not get it there or his receivers were dropping the ball.  With a 21-3 lead at that point the best thing to do way eat up the clock, give your defense a little rest, and don't let the eers offense on the field.  That was a great adjustment by Gregory.

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

Leavitt just goes with which RB is hot on a given game. Jamar Taylor Was hot this game, Benji Williams was last week, and Mike Ford was during Auburn.

Anyways we should know Grant Greg's Offensive scheme: QB draw, HB Draw, and the infamous WR screen.

• Content Count:  159

My biggest issue with the play-calling tonight (if not in general) is that we have yet to really open the playbook. I don't know who else they are waiting for before they do but whatever.

Grothe needs to limit his mistakes. He tries to force things too often and (honestly) gets lucky more often than not ... but when he thinks he can always do that we are going to have an issue because INTs will start happening. Second, he needs to stop throwing off his back foot. There were plenty of opportunities tonight where he could have stepped into the throw and that would have given him that much more power and distance in his throw which leads me nicely to this last point which is Amarri Jackson. Here is a receiver who is 6'5" and used to play basketball (i.e. he can jump) and Grothe isn't using that to his advantage. We had one ball nearly picked off by a 5'9" DB because Grothe didn't just throw it high. I mean, c'mon on ... he's got a serious height advantage in that match up, it should be a no-brainer. Same thing later in the game in the end zone when Grothe was picked off trying to get it to Amarri. If he had just aired it over the defender and made Amarri go up for it, 6 points or at the worst an incomplete pass. Instead he throws it short and low both times, INT one time (in the end zone!) and a near pick the other.

Play smarter and create favorable matchups in your opponents secondary ... follow that with throwing the ball a little high and make your TALL receiver go up for it and we can have some nice gains in the air ... just my $0.02

• Content Count:  2,523

Dead on Lobo.  Got to put jump balls up there for Amarri bc lord knows he drops the ones that hit him in the numbers...Crazy, makes the highlight plays but misses on the easy ones.

• Content Count:  1,570

Coach Leavitt said that after we scored 21 points we got conservative. Wake up Greg! This is the year to do serious damage this year.

• Content Count:  433

Like many people i thought we would open up our playbook this week. Play action, trick plays, throwing it deep ... all i saw was the same offense that we've played all year and a fantastic D who bailed out the offense. Im a big believer in D wins ball games but we need to start playing better on offense. Ford fumbled twice, Amarri drops two passes (while they might not have been the greatest throws) they hit him right in the 18. Grothe needs to make better passes. Enough floating the ball ... rifle the pig skin in there!

I'm not taking anything away from this win. It was a hard fought, grind it out win and I'm happier then a pig in poo. Just wanted to see if anyone else agrees with me on this!

Bring on those Owls!

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Come on man enjoy the win, at least wait for monday for this kind of discussion. 

• Content Count:  433

I am enjoying it! Just getting it out there when it's fresh on my mind!

Archived