Greg Gregory/Offense -- What's Your Take So Far??

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Obviously........FANTASTIC win tonight.

Not enough can be said about that.

But here's an honest question that bears asking after four games.....

What do you think of what you've seen from Greg Gregory's offensive scheme thus far.

Personally, I have not been impressed.

VEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRY conservative.  Almost reminds me of the Tony Dungy philosophy when he was with the Bucs -- Grind it out, score ten points, and count on the defense to win the game every week.

We have some weapons.........why are we not running plays to use them??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  186
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah the playcalling sucks.  Its a good thing we have one of the best defenses in the country.  They hit like an NFL team.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I like the play calling, to be honest. When you have a defense like that, you don't have to go willy-nilly and throw everything deep. Other than what he did with his feet, I really think Grothe had a lousy game. They got the matchups they wanted and had a shot at a touchdown on every one of those deep shots that Gregory called, but Grothe threw bad passes on all of them.

I'm more concerned with the staggering amount of points USF has left on the field, which is an execution issue.This can't last for two more months.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I like the play calling, to be honest. When you have a defense like that, you don't have to go willy-nilly and throw everything deep. Other than what he did with his feet, I really think Grothe had a lousy game. They got the matchups they wanted and had a shot at a touchdown on every one of those deep shots that Gregory called, but Grothe threw bad passes on all of them.

I'm more concerned with the staggering amount of points USF has left on the field, which is an execution issue.This can't last for two more months.

I agree..........execution has been AWFUL as well.

But they playcalling shares plenty of the blame.

We get a lead, and we go into "clock milking" mode.

Not smart.

The offense only scored 14 points tonight.........keep that in mind.

• Content Count:  635

early in the game, it was great. lots of cool ideas and formations. later on though, you're right....seemed to be a conservative touch to his calling. i generally don't have a problem with that though when you can run the ball as well as we can.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

early in the game, it was great. lots of cool ideas and formations. later on though, you're right....seemed to be a conservative touch to his calling. i generally don't have a problem with that though when you can run the ball as well as we can.

Yeah.......but we're going to be facing a heck of a defense against Cincy.....and Rutgers isn't bad either.

He'd better have more than he's shown.......a LOT more when we square off against those two opponents.

• Content Count:  134

From watching the game tonight, it looked as if WVU made some good adjustments defensively.  Also, I thought Ford was doing a great job.  I don't think the OC is utilizing him enough.

Elon---- 6 rushes for 83 yds

AU------21 rushes for 74 yds

NC------6 for 13 yds

WVU----5 for 41 yds

I think with as good as the D was playing tonight, he went conservative as far as play calling for the 2nd half.  Except for maybe a few mid range passes.  But WVU was bringing some pressure on Grothe also.

Amarri Jackson had a dropped pass that would've potentially been a big gainer.  I think if you get another "go to" reciever and let Ford in on some more rushes, you'd be pretty well off.

Just my 2 cents

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

My first thoughts are that he had two very bad play calls that came at key moments.

After Allen's fumble recovery, I thought we could have pretty much put the game away at that point.  He got away from what was working.  We had the ball after the turnover at WVU 26 with 6 minutes to go in the half.  Why even throw the ball downfield?  Run the freaking clock out.  Even if we score there on the first play,  why let WVU have the ball back so quick.  Even if we pick up 5 or 6 yards and have to try a field goal (Alvarado is another matter), you give them the ball back probably with less than 2 minutes left and deep in their own territory or without any TO s left. I thought that was horrible play calling to throw the ball downfiled like that and even worse clock management.

The other bad play call was trying to throw on 3rd down with 3:00 minutes left on thrid and 8.  Same situation as before.  Unless you get the first down, only bad things can happen in that situation.  Worst case happened.  The sack.  Just as bad, incomplete pass.  You kill the clock with an incomplete.  Just run the ball and either force them to use a TO or run another 45 seconds off the clock.  We are absolutely atrocious at clock management.  With the way our defense was playing.  Let the clock run down as far as you can and let our defense win the game for us.

Other than those two key times, The play calling wasn't too bad.  Amarri Jackson cannot keep dropping passes.  He dropped two first downs tonight.  I also think our coaches gave up on Ford too easily after the fumble. I guess they can do that when we can just go right to Taylor though.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Grothe has been horrible all year long on the long passes.  He keeps underthrowing the passes by a pretty big margin.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Grothe has been horrible all year long on the long passes.  He keeps underthrowing the passes by a pretty big margin.

The dreaded "Sophomore Slump" for sure...........so far.

Hope he turns it around VERY soon.

If he starts playing up to his capability..........WOW!!  Watch out!

Archived