Rodriguez on sellout: 'It's like the Yankees'

BULLfreak

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  132
  • Days Won:  0

I hate to break this to you, but he is right to a point.  If WVU were not coming, there is no way this is close to a sellout.  UNC was here last week and there were what, about 25,000 actual fans there.  No, it is because of WVU that USF will sellout this game.  If it were Cincy coming to town, even thought they are a good team, USF would not be getting close to this number.

He was saying it's like that everywhere WV plays.  By the way, 37,000 were at UNC......I mean you were only off by 10K+.  ;)

Yea and there is a tooth fairy as well. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  12,293

the game is selling out because its a #5 vs #18.  nothing else.

even if we barred every WV fan from coming into the stadium there is enough people in Tampa who want to go to the game that dont have tickets that it would be close to a sell out.

that statement is just wrong.

• Content Count:  1,528

he's got a point. It wouldn't sell out if WVA was unranked or ranked in the 20s. It's more a sellout for the #5 position than the fact they are West Va. We play any other top 10 team in the country and we're still talking about this beng our first selout at RayJay

• Content Count:  21

I dont know, but had there never been a top 5 team playing usf at ray jay? if there has been how many did that game draw... it being a confrence rival, top top ranked teams, usf doing well, and wvu being highly ranked are the reasons for the sell out. it is wvu and other factors that made ray jay a sell out. but in a way rich is right. Marshall never sold out its stadium b4 wvu, maryland 5th largest crowed, those are our only 2 away games so far and that says alot. I bet alot of stadiums will be breaking records when wvu comes to town as long as they are highly rated. thats not arrogance, its just face.

• Content Count:  1,386

I dont know, but had there never been a top 5 team playing usf at ray jay? if there has been how many did that game draw... it being a confrence rival, top top ranked teams, usf doing well, and wvu being highly ranked are the reasons for the sell out. it is wvu and other factors that made ray jay a sell out. but in a way rich is right. Marshall never sold out its stadium b4 wvu, maryland 5th largest crowed, those are our only 2 away games so far and that says alot. I bet alot of stadiums will be breaking records when wvu comes to town as long as they are highly rated. thats not arrogance, its just face.

In '99 two #6 teams came to USF. In '00 a #1 team and a #6 team came to RJS. Unfortunately, they don't compare as those were I-AA teams, back when USF was I-AA. :)

The highest I-A ranked team to play in Tampa vs the Bulls was #9/8 Louisville (AP/Coaches) in 2005. 33.5k was the attendance. The sellout on Friday is a combination of factors. WVa, which is the current USF highest attended game by 135 fans, is important.  The game being the conference home opener helps a little, but not as much as the rankings. But I think the most important factor is that USF is ranked #18 while playing the #5 team. Until USF started playing football 11 seasons ago, Tampa fans were split among UM, FSU and UF. They have all be ranked for most of the last few decades, so until USF was ranked, the Bulls had not yet 'arrived' to the average Tampa football fan.

Kizarvexis

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,808
  • Days Won:  213

just to clarify Kiz post-- that record is only for the RJS site. The current record was from the first game at the Old Sombrero (aka Tampa Stadium/aka Houlihans Stadium/aka torn down parking lot stadium)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,632
  • Days Won:  10

I'd like to remind RR that the season is young.  This may be the FIRST sellout of this year.  In that case, the succeeding sellouts will have nothing to do with WVU -- except that they will have helped us become a top ten team that in turn, people will want to come and see.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,982
  • Days Won:  436

I hate to break this to you, but he is right to a point.  If WVU were not coming, there is no way this is close to a sellout.  UNC was here last week and there were what, about 25,000 actual fans there.  No, it is because of WVU that USF will sellout this game.  If it were Cincy coming to town, even thought they are a good team, USF would not be getting close to this number.

He was saying it's like that everywhere WV plays.  By the way, 37,000 were at UNC......I mean you were only off by 10K+.  ;)

Yea and there is a tooth fairy as well. 

A Kanigit still trying to talk attendance smack .... How cute.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,333
  • Days Won:  29

YANKEE Go Home !

Highest ever ranking of the BULLS vs a Top 5 team ... has very little to do with WVU.

We could of had the same amount of WVU fans here to fill the void. Students and many fans were turned away ... I got many calls about my tix.

Go BULLS !!!

Archived