• Content Count:  19,808
  • Days Won:  213

espnselvieku9.jpg

Shot at 2007-09-26

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  218
  • Days Won:  0

Amazing they did not crop out the "Big East" logo on his helmet.  The ESPN webmaster is slipping.

• Content Count:  2,461

Amazing they did not crop out the "Big East" logo on his helmet.  The ESPN webmaster is slipping.

I hope you have the nuts to come back next week.

• Group:  Moderator

actually that wasn't falme material-- he was commenting on ESPN's sluggish embracement of the Big East itself-- from the days of "worst BCS conference that should lose it's BCS rights" to ass kissing in three short years

• Content Count:  22,769
  • Days Won:  53

Those green and gold colors really pop.  It makes any front page prettier.

Oh and yes ESPN has totally gone to Big East but kissers.  But nothing can replace their precious PAC-10 and Big Ten.  Remember when Kirk was saying people shouldn't vote Florida into the National Championship because Michigan was a better team?  Oops.  Turned into the slaughter of Ohio State.  Maybe that's what they were trying to protect against?

• Content Count:  2,461

actually that wasn't falme material-- he was commenting on ESPN's sluggish embracement of the Big East itself-- from the days of "worst BCS conference that should lose it's BCS rights" to ass kissing in three short years

Yeah, I figured... But either way I'd like to see him show up!

• Group:  Moderator

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=iform075

the attached article

Bullish behavior, Cat concentration and the Fourth Estate debate

By Ivan Maisel

ESPN.com

Updated: September 26, 2007

Bulls Preparing For Speed WeekNo. 5 West Virginia runs an offense that defenses don't see any other week of the season. It's part option, part spread and all scoring, all the time.

It's not the Mountaineers' scheme, however, that has South Florida defensive line coach Dan McCarney and his best player, defensive end George Selvie, concerned about Friday night's matchup between the 18th-ranked Bulls and West Virginia in Tampa (ESPN2, 8 ET).

George Selvie's 8.5 sacks lead the nation.

"West Virginia has speed, lots of speed," said Selvie, the nation's leader in sacks (8.5) and tackles for loss (15). "I'm hoping to play fast ball and be relentless and swarm to the ball."

That is speed with quarterback Pat White, speed with tailback Steve Slaton, more speed with Slaton's freshman backup, Noel Devine, and speed on the perimeter with wide receiver Darius Reynaud.

Selvie, a 6-foot-4, 245-pound sophomore, understands what he must do against the Mountaineers. He played center on an option offense at Pensacola (Fla.) Pine Forest High. Selvie understands that White will look at him to decide what to do. He has seen White, who grew up 40 miles west of Selvie in Daphne, Ala., before.

"The scheme is really good," Selvie said. "Most teams don't really run with the quarterback. West Virginia will run. I know why. We played Daphne my sophomore and junior years in high school. Pat White had speed then. He was a good player. I knew exactly where he had come from. He committed to LSU, then switched. When he played, I knew how he was going to do."

There's another reason the eyes of all 'Eers will be on Selvie. Last November, Selvie arrived as a defensive force against West Virginia. He had 3.5 sacks, forced a fumble and returned another one nine yards for a touchdown in South Florida's 24-19 road upset. That loss ended the Mountaineers' bid for the Big East championship and a BCS bowl.

Not bad for a guy in his first season as a defensive lineman.

After Selvie played his redshirt season on the offensive line, the coaches approached him about moving across the line of scrimmage. Selvie understood that if he made the switch, he wouldn't have to add 25 pounds or more to get on the field. But if anyone had understood how effective Selvie would be, he never would have spent the 2005 season on the Bulls' scout offense.

Selvie has come into his own under McCarney, in his first year at South Florida after being forced out last November as head coach at Iowa State. McCarney praised the sophomore's ability to work and his willingness to learn. McCarney said he has stressed to Selvie that, like a pitcher on the baseball diamond, he's got to have more than one out pitch.

"I want him to reload with his hands," McCarney said. "When that first move doesn't work, don't stop your feet. Reload with your hands. I want to see that if he uses a swim move, or a rip, or a speed rush, that he goes to another one, that he has a second move ready without thinking about it. It's a motion, rather than one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two."

Selvie and the rest of the Bulls won't have time to think against the Mountaineers' speed. The South Florida defense will have to be disciplined. So will its coaches.

"Don't ask somebody to do something that physically they can't do," McCarney said. "We've seen some good examples of that and some bad examples of that breaking down tape of their [West Virginia's] first four games."

South Florida proved last year that it can physically stop West Virginia. The question Friday night is whether the Bulls can do it again.

• Content Count:  459

Those green and gold colors really pop.  It makes any front page prettier.

Oh and yes ESPN has totally gone to Big East but kissers.  But nothing can replace their precious PAC-10 and Big Ten.  Remember when Kirk was saying people shouldn't vote Florida into the National Championship because Michigan was a better team?  Oops.  Turned into the slaughter of Ohio State.  Maybe that's what they were trying to protect against?

I think a lot of the embracement of ESPN and the Big East has to do with five or so things:

1) They saw that Rutgers could be a nice ratings cash cow.  The 12th largest media market (Tampa) may not be a bad one either.  Put them all together a few times a year and it

spells nice ratings that pays the bills.

2) Obviously Hoops and Football are located in THE largest media markets in the U.S.   Pays to kiss that tail.

3) The new ESPN contract with the Big East certainly helped.

4) The Big Ten trying to go their own way with that miserable Big Ten network.  It certainly clears the way for Big Ten bashing instead.

5) Quite simply, once WVU beat Georgia and The Ville and Rutgers appeared they could no longer bash.  It was right in front of them.

Not that they'll never bash again (as that twit Duemig will show you bad mouthing leads to decent ratings), but they also have a decent

stake now in the Big East's future and might as well embrace the ratings bonanza.   This weekend's USF/WVU game is just another license to print

money ala Florida State/Miami, Texas/Oklahoma, etc....and 5 years ago they never would have thought the Big East would have a pulse.

Now that the Big East is alive and kicking -- they are milking it for all it is worth.

• Content Count:  60

espnselvieku9.jpg

Shot at 2007-09-26

hey.. how do you take pictures of the computer screen, like you did with the espn webpage.. is there a key on the keyboard that does that? thanks a lot man

Archived