Early in Season - still untested????

IncrediBULL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Being somewhat analytical in nature, in the back of my mind, is always doubt.  I was concerned if USF has been tested thoroughly after just 3 games..  And with WVU coming up this Friday.....

I was a little concerned when I went over the USF schedule to date, yest we are 3 - 0 but.....  We won against Elon (1-AA), certainly Auburn was a good win on the road, though they lost the week after, and then UNC at home (we beat them last year at UNC too).  So, though we played well and won these games, my thought is that we have not met a team anywhere near the caliber/ranking of WVU to date.

I looked at the Sagarin rankings of the teams we played, including USF..  Here they are.

USF 22

UNC 84

Auburn 34

Elon 141

Opponent average ranking: 86

However, WVU is 4 - 0 and have questionable wins.  The most impressive probably is last week against ECU

Here is their first four games results (including Sagarin rankings in parenthesis)...

3:30 PM Sat 9/1 W. MICHIGAN 62-24  (122)

11:00 AM Sat 9/8 at Marshall  48-23  (134)

7:30 PM Thu 9/13 at Maryland  31-14 (51)

Noon Sat 9/22 EAST CAROLINA  48-7 (93)

WVU is (6)

Opponent average ranking: 100

For grins, I looked north at UF Gators to see their rankings based on the quality of opponent they have faced, since they are ranked only 1 higher than WVU.

UF - 5

West Kty - 89

Troy - 68

Tenn - 32

Miss - 74

Opponent average ranking: 66

So what did I conclude, neither team has played that tough of opponent and both will face their hardest opponents of the year this Friday.  We are at home ,beat WVU last year on the road, so I think we have a terrific change this week... Definitely put my mind more at ease....

• Content Count:  4,119
  • Days Won:  14

Keep in mind also that we are on a 5 game winning streak if you go back to last season.  The win streak started where???  Morgantown against WVU.  Plus, I think our team is much better this year.

• Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

If you recall last year, we didn't have a 'good win' prior to beating WVU either.  Remember, we beat McNeese State, FIU, UCF, UNC, UConn, Pitt, and Syracuse.  I guess the best of that bunch would have been Pitt, but thats not saying much.  The point is, it doesn't matter who we played prior to the game.  Its all about how we play during the WVU game that will determine the outcome.

Go Bulls!!

Agreed with all comments.  Just needed to sort this out in my own mind as to our ability to win.  They are better than last year, but so are the bulls.  I think most teams underestimate us, and hopefully their top 5 ranking will go to their heads, but that is doubtful.  I think it will be close, and I think we have a good shot at a "W" this week.  I am really, really glad it is in Tampa as oppose to WVU. 

GO Bulls... 

• Content Count:  403
  • Days Won:  0

Didn't Marshall and Maryland keep their games against WV real close through the first half?  I thought I remembered them being close games for a while.. 

• Content Count:  1,260

Agreed with all comments.  Just needed to sort this out in my own mind as to our ability to win.  They are better than last year, but so are the bulls.  I think most teams underestimate us, and hopefully their top 5 ranking will go to their heads, but that is doubtful.  I think it will be close, and I think we have a good shot at a "W" this week.  I am really, really glad it is in Tampa as oppose to WVU. 

GO Bulls... 

Nice comments...but please please PUH-LEASE change the sig. Should say "BCS or bust"  ;D

Nice catch, hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out.  I just changed it.

• Content Count:  60

Didn't Marshall and Maryland keep their games against WV real close through the first half?  I thought I remembered them being close games for a while.. 

yea we were actually down to marshall at half time.. maryland was pretty much in hand the whole game

• Content Count:  635

i wouldn't worry too much about the results of those games for either team. we know how talented we are, we know how talented they are. there's no doubt it's a great matchup, and it's going to be very hard to win for either team.

• Content Count:  563

Dont forget teams that lose to us will fall further than the teams that lose to UF.

We know are D is  great and our O moved the ball versus AUB D so I think we are marshall...tested!!!!!!! ;)

Archived