• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,593
  • Days Won:  13

dailymaillogo.jpg

Rodriguez compares Grothe to White

by Mickey Furfari

Tuesday September 25, 2007

MORGANTOWN -- In West Virginia's football spread offense, quarterback Patrick White clearly is the centerpiece.

Coach Rich Rodriguez also believes Matt Grothe is the centerpiece of the 18th-ranked South Florida team (3-0) that the No. 5 Mountaineers (4-0) face on Friday night in Tampa.

"They are very similar," he said Monday on the Big East weekly media teleconference. "Most quarterbacks usually are centerpieces, particularly in both of our systems because it seems like everything revolves around the quarterback.

"I've always said the quarterback in our offense is like the point guard in basketball who can shoot the 3 and certainly Grothe is that guy for (the Bulls)."

Grothe, 6-0, 200-pound sophomore from Lakeland, Fla., has completed 58-of-96 passes (60.4 percent) for 652 yards and four touchdowns in three games. He also has a net 88 yards and one score rushing on 38 keeper plays.

White, a 6-2, 190-pound junior from Daphne, La., has connected on 49-of-69 passes (71.7 percent) for 617 yards and six TDs in four games. He has added 286 yards and six scores on 46 rushing plays.

Neither player has thrown an interception.

"Both can run and I think both throw the ball very well," Rodriguez said. "Both are leaders. (Grothe) obviously is the key to their team and Pat is the key to ours."

Like White, the Bulls' signal-caller has a knack for finding a crease and running with the ball for good gains.

"USF probably has thrown a little more than we have," Rodriguez noted. "But, at the same time, I think both quarterbacks are equally adapted to doing both things extremely well."

The WVU coach said his defensive unit has gotten better each week and that pleases him very much.

"I think the confidence is beginning to grow," he said. "We do have more experience than we had last year. They played well in stretches in the first couple games. At times we didn't play as well as we'd like.

"Then in the Maryland game they got more confidence and certainly in the last game (48-7 over East Carolina) they played with a whole lot of confidence and really did an outstanding job."

However, Rodriguez reiterated that there are still some things the WVU defense can get better at and is expected to do that by continuing to improve each week.

Rodriguez didn't agree with a reporter that Friday night's battle shapes up as the Mountaineer offense vs. USF defense.

"It's going to be a challenge and battle in all three phases," he said. "For us, we've got to execute well. We've done a good job in the last couple weeks getting better in certain phases, whether offense, defense or special teams.

"They're so athletic, they've got good schemes, and obviously they're going to play with a lot of emotion. They're so athletic that the opportunities for a big play don't come a whole lot. When those chances do come, we've got to connect on them."

Rodriguez scoffed at the suggestion that payback will be a major factor as WVU seeks to avenge last year's 24-19 upset loss to South Florida.

"It may be mentioned a little bit," he said. "But I'm not a big guy (who) harps on the so-called revenge factor. I don't think that plays much of an issue in a game as far as emotions go.

"Once they get focused on a game, what happened in the past is insignificant. It's what's going on right now that's important."

Rodriguez thinks WVU players and coaches are happy where the team is at this juncture. "I think our guys are feeling pretty good right now," he said. "They've had a great attitude all year.

"There was no panic when we were not playing very well at times. I know our guys are staying focused and that we've gotten better each week."

Link to Story

Archived