Will the real Mike Ford show up?

mellobull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

Can I see some play-action pass? How about some of that winged T? Def holding back so far.

The place will be packed, the players amped, on national TV, this is going to be huge. Ford said he wanted his chance to play again, this is THE chance to show what he's got and why he belongs here.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I don't think CJL is holding Ford back to keep him a secret, especially since he really hasn't had much game time (in a few years). I thinks its a matter of performance, seems like he has been inconsistent in practice and it hasn't warrented playing.

Remember he's only a freshman, he'll step up. 

• Content Count:  36

That's true Joe and while we all think Ford will be the next star back for us, Williams hasn't done anything to lose the job.

• Content Count:  563

GUYs,Guys,Guys...Calm  down.I think most ppl here want to see FORD  get  20 carries  but as  long  as  we  win  does  it  really matter???

With tht said Im sure we will unleash our OFF  come  FRIDAY!!!!

4-0 baby!

• Content Count:  10,219

we needed to keep him fresh for friday WVU game

• Content Count:  1,779

I think Ford will eventually be a great RB at USF. But I can see where he needs to improve. During the Auburn game you can see exactly where his legs were giving out on him and during the UNC and Auburn game there were times when he could have blocked better.  Give it time and he will be okay. 

I am just curious how good Jamar Taylor is, he appears to be capable of doing many things.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Just remember, Ford only had 7 touches against Elon before the Auburn game.  I don't think CJL wants to over use him early in the season.  We don't want to show everything yet.  We need to make sure some things work, but the Big East Championship is really what CJL wants!  I think we will see him open up the playbook a lot more on Friday night and that should hopefully mean a lot more of Mike Ford!!!

I agree with this.  In the Big scheme of things, the season really starts this week during conference play.  In some respects, the UNC game was similar to the Elon game.  I think it is pretty telling that Ford has been the go to guy in key situations such as 3rd down and goal line situations he was also the go to guy at Auburn where, in my eyes, he lived up to the hype..  I don't think his lack of touches has been a matter of hiding him.  I think it is more of a matter of a combination of keeping the pressure off him and making him earn his earn his playing time.  

This year the coaches are lucky to have 4 pretty good quality backs.  Why do the coaches need to heap all the pressure and expectations on a freshman?  I like the way the coaches are handling the situation early.  Let him get a feel for the game, learn the playbook inside and out and protect him for the long haul.

I still don't think we have really seen our complete offense  Very few play action passes.  Very few, if any screens.  Very little using the run to set up the passing.  Taylor has looked too good in the few swing passes thrown to him so far to tell me that is not part of the bigger package.  Ford has not really been used as decoy yet to fake into the line and open up the middle of the field.

Ford will be a bigger part of a bigger offense.  I feel pretty sure about that.

• Content Count:  382

Am I the only one that thinks BW has stepped up his game this year?  He has the most experience, is apparently the best blocker (Taylor had a good block against UNC), and has had some nice runs.  Maybe that's why Ford hasn't been getting the carries?  Ford/Taylor are our future.  Probably near future.  But give Ben his props.  He has suprised me this year.

I've watched the videos and all the games this year but can someone who has actually seen a few of Ford/Talylor's high school games please tell us how good these guys really are.  Or are not? 

• Content Count:  1,757

Am I the only one that thinks BW has stepped up his game this year?  He has the most experience, is apparently the best blocker (Taylor had a good block against UNC), and has had some nice runs.  Maybe that's why Ford hasn't been getting the carries?  Ford/Taylor are our future.  Probably near future.  But give Ben his props.  He has suprised me this year.

I've watched the videos and all the games this year but can someone who has actually seen a few of Ford/Talylor's high school games please tell us how good these guys really are.  Or are not?   

No, you're not... Ben has stepped up his game.  He is a helluva blocker, is patient and has sure hands.  I say we give the ball to whoever is the most productive and reliable and right now that is Ben Williams.  Ford will get his opportunities and he needs to shine when he gets them.  Give him time, but for now, Ben is playing good football. 

• Content Count:  6,773
  • Days Won:  19

How about we put Ben in there to block for Mike? Ben gets to block and Mike gets the carries... If Mike touches the ball less than 25 times this week, we will not win. He will wear down the WVU defense.

Archived