St. Pete Times: For Bulls' Allen, his time has come

Grateful Dad

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,632
  • Days Won:  10

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/09/22/Sports/For_Bulls__Allen__his.shtml

For Bulls' Allen, his time has come

He has grown from eager kindergartner to hard-hitting safety at USF.

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published September 22, 2007

TAMPA - For Nate Allen, football has always been about being in the right place at the right time.

"When he was first playing Pop Warner ball in kindergarten, he couldn't even tell time yet, but he'd be asking me, 'What time is it? I don't want to be late for practice,'" his mother, Darlene, said this week. "He was so conscientious."

Once he could actually tell time, his precocious punctuality was only stronger.

"I'd be at work, and he'd call me: 'It's time for practice, Dad,'" his father, Jackie, said. "I'd just say, 'Okay. I'm on my way, Nate.'"

Now, Allen's the one who is on his way, making a huge impact in his first two games as USF's starting free safety. It's no surprise that success would come early for the sophomore from Cape Coral, who had his first career interception in the opening win against Elon. He earned national defensive player of the week honors when he had a hand in three turnovers - an end zone interception, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery - in USF's overtime upset at then-No. 17 Auburn.

"He's got size, range, change of direction, everything you want in a free safety," defensive coordinator Wally Burnham said. "He's the only free safety we've had since J.R. Reed that can do everything we really want to get done. The thing he's got to do is get more vocal, but he's got everything we'd want."

Teammates have affectionately anointed him "The Golden Child," someone who can do no wrong. But if anything, USF coach Jim Leavitt said he likes Allen for the way he responds to his mistakes.

"You've got to know Nate Allen. He's a very good athlete, but to me, that's not what makes him special," Leavitt said. "He's driven to be a very good football player. He responds to coaching. I can absolutely get after Nate, and I think Nate knows I care a great deal for him, so he doesn't take it personally. That is a huge part of a young man getting better, improving as a player and having a chance to excel."

As he prepares for a key home game against North Carolina today, Allen laughs at the teacher's pet tag, saying he gets his share of grief from Leavitt and safeties coach Troy Douglas.

"The guys call me Leavitt's son, say I can't do no wrong," Allen said. "I get chewed out a lot, believe me."

Allen drew headlines at Cape Coral High as an all-state quarterback, but in his first week of practice as a freshman last fall, he switched to free safety. He saw a chance to play sooner, to help his team in a position he likes playing.

"I just like sitting back there, being free," the 6-foot-2, 200-pounder said. "In Pop Warner, I was one of the fastest ones on the team, so that's where they'd put me, saying, 'Don't let anyone get behind you.' I feel like I fit in good there."

Allen had a team-high 90 tackles at safety as a high school senior, so he had established himself as someone who can get to the ball quickly. Allen comes from an athletic family - his father is 6 feet 8 and played one season of pro basketball in France; uncle Luther, a 6-7 defensive tackle, was said to be talented enough to line up with O.J. Simpson during a preseason camp with the Buffalo Bills.

His parents work at Cape Coral, with Darlene as a business teacher and Jackie working with in-school suspension and as an assistant football coach. Leavitt first noticed Allen his sophomore year, when he was recruiting receiver Taurus Johnson.

"Coach Leavitt just won his heart," Jackie said. "I can remember Nate coming home one day and saying, 'I really like the coach at South Florida.' Clemson and Florida, both of them were really good programs, but Coach Leavitt outdid them all."

Allen's game against Auburn was good enough for national honors but far from perfect. He's still learning USF's defense. He was out of position on one touchdown and was beaten on another potential scoring pass that was just out of reach. He has put in extra time in the video room the past two weeks.

"He made some great plays, but he had some poor ones," Leavitt said. "What I love about Nate is he's going to work at the weaknesses and make those strengths."

Douglas said he couldn't remember Allen being late for a meeting or practice, but the 19-year-old said he has new incentives to be on time now.

"I never liked being late, whatever it is," Allen said. "Especially now, I know how important it is. And especially with football: If we're late, we run. I don't want to do that."

Greg Auman can be reached at auman@sptimes.com and (813) 226-3346. Check out his blog at blogs.tampabay.com/usf.

Top state games

No. 23 USF (2-0)vs. North Carolina (1-2)

Noon, Raymond James Stadium, Tampa

TV/radio: ESPN; 970-AM

Line: Bulls by 14

Weather: 90 degrees, 60 percent chance of rain

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

great article on Nate.  he will be a very key player for us in the next few years. 

Archived