in your opinion--- is our defense better than last years?

MikeG

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,808
  • Days Won:  213

The more I think about it-- the more I am convinced that we may actually be better than last season on defense-- even without Nicholas and St. Louis et al.

The biggest reason for this is some of our guys have really matured quickly. Also-- Nate Allen is just very gifted and a great ball hawker. There is such a bevy of talent and role players in the secondary-- Jenkins, Gachette, Williams, Gilliam... etc all of them are burners and hit like a ton of brcks.

McKenzie has pretty much taken the reigns at his position and we don't miss a beat there. And Mompremier has been rock solid. Ben--- solid as a rock.

Selvie seems to be geting better every game. I was reviewing all my pics from the AUburn game..... he was double teamed almost every single play. And with Chris Robinson coming back-- with that speed on the book ends-- wow. Not to take anything away from Buie and the rest of the cast who rotate in there to bring in the fresh legs and the booming hits.

We will be missing Clebert for UNC-- but we have some good alternatives there, although he is a huge reason you can't run up the gut at the Bulls.

I won't bother with the cornerback position-- that group-- including their backups are some of the best in all of college football. It is awesome to watch Mike Jenkins allow a player to appear wide open knowing full well he can close, leap into position and either bat away the ball or snag it for himself. Trae and Mike just take away so many areas of the field like that.

Don't get me wrong-- the offense is exciting as hell to watch and is loaded too-- but that defense and the hitting--- man is it awesome to see up close.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I would say yes, and the main reason is the play at the Safety position is just worlds better than last year. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,331
  • Days Won:  29

I also think they are better also, they have impressed me so far and we'll know more as the season progresses.

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,632
  • Days Won:  10

You make a good case, but it is a little early for me to tell.  Line?  With Robinson back, yes, without, maybe...

LB?  Too early for me to tell.  Snake's shoes are big to fill.  I need to see how we do against conference play.

CB and Safety?  Better.  Hands down.

I am not the greatest analyst; I am still learning.  But I would like to see them against some conference foes before I judge.

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

its too earlier to tell but so far so good.  if this group keeps on growing together then they have a chance to be the best defense we've had.  missing clebert is gonna hurt a little because he was really the only size we had up the middle.  and after watching the auburn game a few times i realized clerbert can move too.  he isnt just some big fat run stopper ala Sam Adams...he gets down field pretty nice.

• Content Count:  66,137
  • Days Won:  172

need to see how we perform in wv game

• Content Count:  99

Where did you here Clebert is out? 

• Content Count:  563

I been  saying  that  since  Tmac got  that  waiver.When C-Rob is  100% watch  out!!!

• Content Count:  849

I been   saying  that  since  Tmac got  that  waiver.When C-Rob is  100% watch  out!!!

Tampaboi and I have been saying that our defense would be much improved since the summer. Our excellent corners are even better this year. Even though it might be blasphemy to say this but our new linebackers are more athletic than our old ones and have higher potentials. Selvie has an extra year of experience and he is showing it on the field. Clebert is finally healty and has been making an impact. It may not show in the numbers but Clebert occupies 2 gaps and frees up the linebackers to make tackles. Buie is playing better.

True Freshman DT Terrell McClain saw limited time in the Auburn game, but was pivotal on that interception by Nate Allen because he went one on one with King Dunlap and got by him and forced Brandon Cox to throw the ball out early.

Our Safeties are playing much better and it is being noted by the corners. In a recent press conference Mike Jenkins said that last year the corners had to pick up much of the slack now he said that the safeties are holding their own.

Our wildcard is Chris Robinson who was an honorable mention Freshman All-American last year, he's a bit bigger this year and still has tremendous speed. His presence on 3rd down makes our defense dangerous because of his pass rush ability

• Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

I think it might be a bit early, but I like the way things are going.  I've watched a ton of football in my life, and I was amazed at the Secondary during the Auburn game.  Mike Jenkins was flawless.  Murphy was active and deflected a few passes.  Trae was a bit off, but still played very well.  Nate Allen has been very good in both games.  Tyler Roberts made some big plays.  Ryan Gilliam would have had a pick, but he was flat footed when the ball came at him.  It was an unbelievable effort by everyone in the secondary.  I hope all year is like this, because it was **** fun to watch. 

Go Bulls!!

Archived