No. 10 USF Faces No. 2 UConn Friday at South Florida

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,379
  • Days Won:  491

Courtesy USF

No. 10 USF Faces No. 2 UConn Friday

TAMPA, Fla. – The 10th-ranked University of South Florida men’s soccer team opens its 2007 BIG EAST schedule this Friday, Sept. 21, when it welcomes undefeated No. 2 Connecticut to the USF Soccer Stadium at 7:30 p.m.

In arguably the biggest home match of the year, the Bulls (5-0-0) take on a Huskies team that sits atop the Blue Division conference standings with a perfect 6-0-0 (1-0-0) record. UConn carries a No. 2 in ranking in each of the four major polls and boasts senior defender Julius James, a Soccer America Preseason All-American, along with junior forward O’Brian White, already named BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Week twice this season.

“This is a great opportunity to play the No. 2 ranked team in the country at home,” said head coach George Kiefer.  “We could use as much support from our outstanding student and community base as possible to hopefully come out with a positive result from the match.”

Friday’s match-up will be the fifth all-time between the two teams, with UConn holding a 4-0-0 advantage.  Connecticut defeated USF in the BIG EAST title game on Nov. 13, 2005, the last time the two teams saw each other.  That meeting marked the first time Kiefer, a former assistant coach for the Huskies, faced his mentor, Ray Reid of UConn.

The Huskies and Bulls are both among the 12 remaining teams in the nation with a flawless 1.00 wining percentage.

USF has enjoyed an offensive outpouring this season, backed up by a solid defense.  After twin hat tricks in the 6-1 victory over American University on Sept. 15, freshman Bernardo Anor and senior Simon Schoendorf were both named to the BIG EAST Honor Roll.  Schoendorf picked up additional accolades by being named to both the College Soccer News and Soccer America National Teams of the Week.

The Bulls have outscored opponents 15-3 this year and rank fourth in the NCAA in scoring offense, garnering 3.00 points a game.

Friday night’s match will feature several promotions and events.  Free pizza will be available to all USF students attending the game.  The Kick For Cash promotion will take place at halftime, in which one student will have the chance to win $300.  Also at halftime, two youth scrimmages will take place and a Greek photo will be taken on the field.  All Greek students in attendance are encouraged to wear their letters. 

New behind-goal-seating will also be available, which USF students are encouraged to take advantage of.  The seating is just one of several improvements to the USF Soccer Stadium that have taken place recently.  The venue now also features improved and new signboards along the field level and a refurbished press box.

Fans can also follow the UConn match, as well as all home soccer matches, live on the Press Pass at GoUSFBulls.com.  Live audio and video will be available for fans as Jim Henderson brings the play-by-play calls direct to the user.  Fans can also follow along with live stats available on the website.

The Bulls will return to the pitch right away on Sun., Sept. 23, to welcome Providence to Tampa.  The first kick is scheduled for 1 p.m., the only afternoon game the Bulls will play at home this season.

Tickets to all USF home matches are $5 for adults, $3 for youth 16-and-under and $2 for groups of 10 or more.  Season ticket packages are also available.  Call 1-800-GoBulls or visit www.GoUSFBulls.com for details.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

Anybody know if there is a beer tent for the soccer match?  Just checking.  That would definitely add to the festive atmosphere.......

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Whoever's running Leavittown on Sunday should allow students to get out of line for a few hours to go see the soccer team play. Just a suggestion.

• Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

Whoever's running Leavittown on Sunday should allow students to get out of line for a few hours to go see the soccer team play. Just a suggestion.

The Men's game is at 1pm...I don't think Leavittown will start that early. I was planning on going to the soccer game for an hour, then heading over to the volleyball game at 2. After that, napping for a bit then getting ready for a long, but fun night.

• Content Count:  624
  • Days Won:  0

Is Leavittown referring to people camping out at the sundome for tickets?

• Content Count:  624

Anybody know if there is a beer tent for the soccer match?  Just checking.  That would definitely add to the festive atmosphere.......

Don't know what you mean by Beer tent but I believe they sell beer inside the soccer stadium, I could be wrong.

• Content Count:  1,158

Beer is available at soccer games at USF at the concession stands.

Eric

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Is Leavittown referring to people camping out at the sundome for tickets?

Yeah, it's down the road a bit from Pradoville, right next to Heath City and Fernandezopolis.  ;)

Archived