UPDATE on LIGHTING UP TAMPA for WVU Game!!!

lobo

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,297
  • Days Won:  0

I'm sure others have had their messages from the mayor's office returned........just sharing mine (See below)

9/21/2007  3:38 PM  Closed 

M Phillips, Mayor's Receptionist, Mayor's Office 

Email was directed to:

Jonathan Ruebeling (Requestor)

Other Actions:

- Message status changed to Closed

Thank you for contacting Mayor Iorio with your suggestion to illuminate the SunTrust Building the night of September 28th for the nationally televised USF Bulls football game. I have made the mayor aware of your letter and she appreciates you taking the time to write. We have received several messages regarding this and have sent an email to the Tampa Downtown Partnership to make them aware. You also may want to contact the SunTrust Building directly by calling Vanessa Roa building at 222-8820.

Thank you again for writing and GO BULLS!

Michele Phillips,

Mayor's Office

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,066

9/21/2007  3:17 PM  Closed 

M Phillips, Mayor's Receptionist, Mayor's Office 

Email was directed to:

Scott Barrish (Requestor)

Other Actions:

- Message status changed to Closed

Thank you for contacting Mayor Iorio with your suggestion to illuminate the SunTrust Building the night of September 28th for the nationally televised USF Bulls football game. I have made the mayor aware of your letter and she appreciates you taking the time to write. We have received several messages regarding this and have sent an email to the Tampa Downtown Partnership to make them aware. You also may want to contact the SunTrust Building directly by calling Vanessa Roa building at 222-8820.

Thank you again for writing and GO BULLS!

Michele Phillips,

Mayor's Office

• Content Count:  275

Is there a form mail I can send to them as well? Sounds SICK

• Content Count:  12,293

well atleast its a response but it seems like the general reply from those different offices contacted have been "thanks for your letter and we are aware of the big game, please contact __________ (insert same other name)"

sounds like the bulls fans are getting the run-a-round.  doesnt seem likely that it will happen but it was be great if it did.

good job bulls fans

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,893
  • Days Won:  6

Anybody hear anything lately?

• Content Count:  159

Ok guys, since I started this thread I am also trying to keep you updated on what's going on with everything I'm doing so here is the latest (my apologies that it took so long to get to you today, I've had one hell of a day) ...

I talked to Rob again this afternoon (Tue afternoon on my way to work) and got the latest scoop. He has been working with his contact at the Downtown Partnership (Christine) to see what we can do for our Bulls. We have two major challenges at present ... first, the timing is very short and to do anything you need a certain amount of lead time unless you believe in miracles in which case start praying. Second, there is a financial issue here too, which I will get into shortly. Here are the 3 options that we are trying to do.

1. Light up the Sun Trust (or similar) building downtown GREEN.

2. Project the symbolic Bulls U on the side of a building.

3. Coordinate the lights in one side of a building to spell "USF".

Here are the issues with each...

1. Light up the Sun Trust (or similar) building downtown GREEN.

Problem: It takes several weeks to get the gels necessary to do any color, and costs around $5,000 (if I remember correctly) to do so.

2. Project the symbolic Bulls U on the side of a building.

Problem: Money & Timing. It costs around $15,000 to rent the machine needed for such a projection, and most vendors need a certain amount of lead time because they are often rented out in advance for various events. There is only 1 vendor in Florida (Orlando I think) that has one of these machines and it is already booked for the weekend. Rob has one vendor left from his list that he is waiting to hear back from, but even if it is available it may be cost prohibitive at this time.

3. Coordinate the lights in one side of a building to spell "USF".

Problem: Timing. It takes a lot of lead time to figure out which offices you need to leave lights on, and then ensure cooperation from everyone (each tenant) for proper compliance in making it happen.

The bottom line ... it seems unlikely that we will be able to make this happen for this game. However, do not give up all hope my fellow Bulls, we are still trying. If that one vendor (see #2) has a machine available and if we can find the capital to pay for it (which really should be a joint effort between several entities in my opinion ... the city, the school, Tampa Bay Sports Commission, etc) then that might happen. He was able to get the guy who is in charge of the "Beer can" building to agree to shut down all lights on one side of his building so if we manage to get a projector we have a place to do it. This is also the best building in town to use for this sort of thing so at least that is ready to go which is pretty **** good considering the short notice. Keep in mind guys that we are working to make this happen in basically a 8-10 day window.

The plus side is we have been able to get a lot of information regarding the process for making something like this happen. We now know or at least have an idea of the kind of funds necessary to budget, as well as various lead times. If we cannot make something happen for this game, perhaps we can for another (I was thinking the Louisville game which is the last home game of the season, might be a nice send-off for our seniors, no? :-) later in the season. At the very worst we will have a year to prepare for something like this for the 2008 season, but I honestly think if we pool resources we should be able to make something happen this season. It's all about time & money (when is it not?).

I wish I had "better" news for everyone, but honestly all things considered I am not really disappointed with the status. We have managed to do a lot in a short period of time and you never know ... we may still pull this off. Stay loud, stay proud ... we are THE BULLS!

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Thanks for the update Lobo.

All and all, I think this is good news. The fact is these building managers and companies know that we would like to see this kind of stuff and we (the bulls pen) know we CAN work hard and get this rolling in the community. Maybe with a win on Friday (or even a loss) we can work to have this kind of stuff on game days from here on out. Just looking for the silver lining.

• Content Count:  159

Well, the silver lining (as it were) is that we have learned a lot about what it takes to make it happen and how much $$$ it takes. The important piece though is creating a partnership (financially as much as anything else) with different entities is what it takes to make this a success. I know that the Tampa Bay Sport Authority and Downtown Partnership are on board, now we just need to get Doug Woodard (USF AD), Mayor Pam Iorio (spelling?), and perhaps the USF Alumni Association and/or Bull Backers to help sponsor the effort financially. Getting everything coordinated (the timing piece) is all well and good, but without financing it is for naught.

Now I know we get $$$ for each game, perhaps it would be in our interest to shove a percentage of that into a fund for things like this ... nothing exhorbent, maybe 5% of the $$$? I'm sure it will add up fast and I tell you it can make a sweet statement if it happened for every (or at least major) home games. :-)

• Content Count:  398

...I tell you it can make a sweet statement if it happened for every (or at least major) home games. :-)

One day, nearly every home game will be a major game.

• Content Count:  4,642

to put it in perspective, they would have just laughed in your face two years ago if we mentioned this to them

i'm sure something like this will be done one day soon

Archived