UNC Scouting Report

JoeB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

UNC starts a Redshirt Freshman, TJ Yates at Quarterback.  So far he's piled up some good stats throwing the ball.  It appears the strength of their offense is throwing the ball, since they only average about 80 yards per game on the ground.  Here are Yates' numbers:

vs. JMU  13/18  281 yards  3 TDs/1 Int

vs. ECU  20/32  344 yards  3 TDs/1 Int

vs. UVA  25/38  339 yards 3 TDs/1 Int

Totals    58/88  910 yards  9 TDs/3 Ints

On Defense, they have given up on average 24 points per game.  QBs are completing 66% against the UNC Pass Defense, and they have given up more rushing yards then they've accrued.  Its a team that can be out on the field for long stretches, so its imperative that USF convert 3rd down opportunities and keep UNC out in the heat.

They are also prone to big plays on offense, so if you make them go the distance, chances are they won't be able to finish the drive.  In the ECU game for example, Brandon Tate scored three TDs on big plays (39 yard TD Reception, 51 yard TD Reception, and a 58 yard Punt Return TD).  So we'll need to be sound in the kicking game and deep balls.

Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  5,912
  • Days Won:  5

Thanks Joe, I think a couple weeks off is making some people a little wacky around here. Heard anything about an OCS?

Seriously though, I think our defense is going to be leaps and bounds better than anything they have seen. Our corners are studs, but since we play a lot of man coverage, there is a possibility of a big play. Hopefully Selvie and the rest of the line can get pressure on Yates and keep that from happening.

I see Ford doing really well this game, we need to open up the offense a little though and prove to ourselves that we can score at will (I think we can, just haven't seen it yet). We not only need to win this game, but we need to improve over the AU game. Each game we have to get better. AU was definately better than Elon, this game has to be even better.

Thanks for the info on UNC, I will be out of town this weekend, but glued to the TV at noon on Saturday.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,331
  • Days Won:  29

I am SOFA KING Pumped for this game.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

UNC will destroy us!

• Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

Wait, their QB has 910 passing yards and their only 1-2? That must mean they don't have much of a running game at all which is great news because USF's loaded secondary will have no problem shutting down the passing game especially if George Selvie can apply some pressure and add to his sack total. I don't think North Carolina has any stars of defense, so hopefully the Bulls wont have much of a problem putting up points.

Wait, their QB has 910 passing yards and their only 1-2? [glow=yellow,2,300]That must mean they don't have much of a running game at all[/glow] which is great news because USF's loaded secondary will have no problem shutting down the passing game especially if George Selvie can apply some pressure and add to his sack total. I don't think North Carolina has any stars of defense, so hopefully the Bulls wont have much of a problem putting up points.

UNC starts a Redshirt Freshman, TJ Yates at Quarterback.  So far he's piled up some good stats throwing the ball.  It appears the strength of their offense is throwing the ball, since they only average about 80 yards per game on the ground. 

• Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

Thanks Jim.  I was going to say something, but if he didn't read the original post, who's to say he would have read anything else....... ???

• Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks Jim.  I was going to say something, but if he didn't read the original post, who's to say he would have read anything else....... ???

I read your post, I just said my own opinions and if they sounded similar than that means I agree with you so I fail to see why you or anybody else is complaining? I can't even agree with people on here without getting bitched at.

• Content Count:  66,137
  • Days Won:  172

unc sucks

andusf should pound them on both sidesz of the ball

• Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

I watched the UNC-Virginia game last saturday and came away with a few different impressions...

Their quarterback is very saavy.  He throws the ball well and makes few mental mistakes.  He struggles at times but is able to lead a drive down the field when the game is on the line.  There wide receivers are young but explosive.  They can flat out make some plays, but they will not be playing James Madison's or Virginia's secondary.  We may be the best secondary they see all year.  Their running backs are the weakness of that team and it shouldn't take more than 7 in the box to stop them.  If we force Yates to make 40-45 throws, game over.  They will need to run the ball and setup the PA pass to have any success.

As far as their defense, well, their secondary gives up its share of yardage.  As for their run defense, they are bend but don't break.  Their run defense gave up 186 yards to Virginia and only gave up 22 points, which is pretty good.

My final thoughts.....UNC will get much better every year, but we are too good on both sides of the ball this year.  If we don't turn the ball over, expect this to get ugly.  Looking ahead to WVU and careless play are the only things that can help them.  (Note:  If the temperature gets anywhere near what the Bucs game was at 1pm last sunday, just ask the Saints what kind of homefield advantage Tampa is in September.  Those guys were dying by the fourth quarter.)

Archived