Auburn calls George Selvie "The Real Deal"

Jim Johnson

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

"Defensively, the Bulls have an end who is a lot like Quentin Groves.  In talking to Hugh Nall, he said end George Selvie is the "real deal" -- and a nice guy, to boot. Apparently Tyronne Green grew up with Selvie and they went to the same church. He said he's a great guy."

http://blogs.ledger-enquirer.com/turnerloose/2007/09/thursday.html

SELVIE THE 'REAL DEAL'

South Florida defensive end George Selvie's four sacks against Elon last Saturday didn't happen by accident, Nall said.

"Yeah, he's the real deal," Nall said. "From everything I know about him, he's a real class young man that works hard. (Offensive guard) Tyronne Green grew up with him and went to the same church with him. From everything I hear about him, he's just a good young man that loves to play the game. You can certainly see that on film.

"If you weren't going against him, he'd be fun to watch. He uses his speed, then he can turn it into a bull rush also. He's a backside threat all the time, running the play down. He's really a good football player."

http://blog.al.com/trackingtigers/2007/09/notes_and_quotes_thursday_96.html

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,262
  • Days Won:  0

Correct me if im wrong, but Selvie redshirted his fresman year, so hes actually now in his 3rd season. Meaning theres a good chance he goes pro after this year? That would suck.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

The rule is 3 years after high school so yes he could go pro.  However, he will not.  George is a great DE for us, but his frame has not yet filled out and he has only been playing DE for a couple seasons.  This means he would probably not viewed as a day-one pick as he would be seen as a project.  Another year, some more playing time and another 20 pounds or so and now you have an NFL-caliber DE.  Unless he does a Shurron Pierson, George plays at least one more season after this if not until his senior year. 

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Precisely.

All Coach Leavitt needs to do is inform him of the Shurron Pierson saga, and George will be here at least another year.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,299
  • Days Won:  29

Selvie has an incredible metabolism ... as his body matures, sure he'll add more weight and his game will only get better - AND Dominating !

Proud to have him in the locker I sponsor. I urge fans that want to "help" USF more - to sponsor a locker.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  1,334

I doubt Selvie leaves early as opposed to staying and trying to be a first round pick.  General strategy dictates that if you can be a first round pick, you leave early.  Otherwise, you try to improve and start getting the big money on your first contract.  Players that stay back to gain a round in pick # usually make more money over their career in its entirety than those who don't...because rookie contracts outside the first round or two drop in $$$ drastically.  Staying back a year can be looked at as deferred income in this context.

• Content Count:  12,293

you do not leave early unless you are a lock for first round....or you are going to fail out.

i think selvie plays till his senior year. 

• Content Count:  1,457

Selvie is an ANIMAL - born and bread to play this wonderful game called FOOTBALL. He is one of the BEST players ever to grace the halls of the University of South Florida.  He will play for many years to come.  He may just lead the nation, at his position, for sacks this year.  Watch him roll....

• Content Count:  695

George Selvie is amazing, and honestly in 2009 the Bulls could very easily have 3 All-Americans. Grothe, Mike Ford, and George Selvie.

Archived