Correct me on as much as u can

theman123

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,595
  • Days Won:  3

I posted this on another sight on with i think USF is a top 25 team.  correct me on as much as u can bulls fans!!

Last year USF finished #29 in the AP polls.

That was with a redshirt freshman quarterback(a very good one though). One of the worst running games in the nation with leading RB a walk-on. Numerous freshman starting on both sides of the line.

This year, Matt Grothe is only gaining experience as he ages. Now, USF has a more stable backfield then when Andre Hall was here. Why? Because that walk-on Ben Williams is only, like Grothe, gaining experience as he is number one on our depth chart. With two true freshman, both were set to go to alabama until one, Mike Ford failed to get in and USF landed the highest rated back we have had ever. Also Gaining the likes of Jamar Taylor who transferred from alabama to be closer to family. We also gain Moises Plancher who tore his ACL last season on the first driv and we also gain Aston Samuels.

Now the Defense. George Selvie l one of the best d-ends in the big east a w ready to start. and with almost everyone returning on both sides of the line, this year should be much better in terms of O-Line and even D-Line. Our linebacker crew seems just as deep as last year with Moffitt (on the Butkus watch list) leading them all at middle linebacker, T- Mac, the leading tackler from ISU transferred here over the spring, and brouce mompremier a first year starter backed up by Donte Spires. DB is getting better with the aging of Trae Williams the leader in INT;s in the big east and USF's leading pass defender Mike Jenkins, who pondered the thought of playing in the NFL.

gimme some comments

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I believe USF will finish in the top 20 this year for all the reasons you stated.  However, from an outsider looking in, they probably don't know what to make of us yet.  Ben Williams was not really impressive by an stretch of the imagination.  Other than Grothe, from a statistical perspective, one lok at our offense and we don't have ANY proven playmakers.  It's nice to say that we have Ford and Taylor plus Samuels and Planchar.  Big deal.  In an outsider's eye, these are just more promising backs that have yet to do anything on a D1 school.  Look at Mcknight at USC.  he's expected to be a great player and was the best player/RB recruit this year.  He isn't even on the 4 deep for USC yet.  It's all unproven potential.

On defense they know we are strong, but they also know we have to fill the shoes of our best player.

The biggest reason we aren't in the top 25 is the unproven offense plus the schedule we play.  We have to earn the ranking.  Look at who is ahead of us.  All are known commodities.  Maybe not better than us right now.  Unfortunately we know that, as USF fans that follow the team everyday, but to every one else outside the Big East (and maybe to some within the BE as well), we are still a big question mark.

Based on what people know, we are ranked where we should be to start the year.

• Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

First of all, I agree.

However, to play devil's advocate, there are more things that come into play in our move from 29 at the end of last season to 25 to start this season than just us. Assuming the rest of the feild was stagnant, we'd easily move 4 places. But other teams are growing and changing as well, so our inability to move (in the AP) from 29 to 25 is not necessarily solely a commentary on where we should be placed, but rather where we should be placed relative to other teams.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

"sight" should be "site"

(you said "correct you as much as you can" ;) )

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,319
  • Days Won:  11

I think it will be later in the season that we break top 25, too, if we lose to Auburn. We'd need to upset WVU and be 5-1 or 6-1 after Rutgers. Then maybe we'd get a look. I think we could be immediate top-25 material with an upset over Auburn that could quickly be taken away with a loss at WVU. However, with a win at both, I'd agree with CJL. Top-10 or bust.

• Content Count:  3,827

I think it will be later in the season that we break top 25, too, if we lose to Auburn. We'd need to upset WVU and be 5-1 or 6-1 after Rutgers. Then maybe we'd get a look. I think we could be immediate top-25 material with an upset over Auburn that could quickly be taken away with a loss at WVU. However, with a win at both, I'd agree with CJL. Top-10 or bust.

If we were Notre Dame, a 1-AA win and a top 15 win would propell them from unranked to #1.  I'm just sayin...

• Content Count:  4,503

Doesn't this depend on what poll your looking at ?  I was disappointed when we dropped in the A/P and coaches poll to open the season but that all goes back to name recognition which we are just beginning to get.

Archived