Jacksonville Sunday Newspaper

IncrediBULL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I was in Jax this weekend and read the Times-Union paper.  On Sunday they had the college and HS preview.  They pick their favorite 11 players.

From last year's 11, they listed two as going to USF this year.  One was Tomas Edenfield and the second was Charlton Sinclair.  FIrst of all, great for us for getting 2 of their top 11.  FSU got none, UF had two, S Carolina had 1, the rest went out of state.

I looked at our roster and cannot find Sinclair on there.  Anyone know the story for what happened to him?

ALso, fyi of this years Jax HS Top 11, none are commited or considering USF.  A crying shame.

• Content Count:  12,678
  • Days Won:  25

Must be a down year for Jax.

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

need to get Nicholas back home and have him smack some sense into these kids.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I was in Jax this weekend and read the Times-Union paper.   On Sunday they had the college and HS preview.  They pick their favorite 11 players.

From last year's 11, they listed two as going to USF this year.  One was Tomas Edenfield and the second was Charlton Sinclair.  FIrst of all, great for us for getting 2 of their top 11.  FSU got none, UF had two, S Carolina had 1, the rest went out of state.

I looked at our roster and cannot find Sinclair on there.  Anyone know the story for what happened to him?

ALso, fyi of this years Jax HS Top 11, none are commited or considering USF.  A crying shame.

Greg said today that Sinclair hadn't qualified and he will try to enroll in January.

I guess the NCAA ultimately did not accept an Algebra class he took over the summer:

Summer class is sticking point for Sinclair

Defensive back Charlton Sinclair thought he had been cleared by the NCAA and expected to report Sunday for his freshman year at USF. But the Jacksonville Mandarin standout got a call late last week from the NCAA requesting more information about a summer Algebra class he took at a small private school, and that's why he hasn't been cleared and now has his status for the fall in jeopardy.

Sinclair took a replacement course to raise his core grade-point average to help him meet the NCAA eligibility requirements, and he said he got the "A" he needed in the class. What remains to be seen is whether the NCAA will accept the grade.

The class was taken at Bethel Holiness Academy, a small private school in Jacksonville. Principal Anna Farris confirmed that Sinclair took the course there. Bethel is registered with the state, but is not certified by the state school board and does not have state-certified teachers. The school offers summer replacement classes at a cost of about $135, Farris said, but it's a "home-based program," a six-week course in which students are only on campus one day a week, but are expected to work on the curriculum five hours a day. Farris said about 30 high school students take their classes in the summer, often to help finish academic requirements for graduation.

She also said USF had overnighted her documents that she received Tuesday, seeking more information about Bethel to pass along to the NCAA on Sinclair's behalf.

Sinclair said Tuesday he's still optimistic of getting cleared by the NCAA and accepted into USF in time to start fall classes later this month. He said he's spoken with both head coach Jim Leavitt and secondary coach Troy Douglas, but also said they'd mentioned "greyshirting" him and deferring his enrollment until January if he isn't cleared before classes start. Sinclair was one of the higher-regarded recruits in USF's incoming class, with a chance to play as a true freshman, so his absence would impact the Bulls' depth in the secondary.

Posted by Greg Auman at 1:44:03 PM on August 7, 2007 | Permalink | Comments (1)

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I'm surprised you even payed attention to the Times-Useless. Quite possibly one of the worst sports sections ever, considering they let all the good writers go (Prisco, Frenete, yes even Bianchi). This is the paper that will dedicate more ink to UF or FSU when they're not playing, then the local college, UNF, upsetting Ohio State in baseball. When USF beat UL in 2005, three sentences. When USF beat WVU in 2006, 5 sentences. When local player, Stephen Nichols gets drafted, maybe two paragraphs. It's mostly good for box-scores and useless stories.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I'm surprised you even payed attention to the Times-Useless. Quite possibly one of the worst sports sections ever, considering they let all the good writers go (Prisco, Frenete, yes even Bianchi). This is the paper that will dedicate more ink to UF or FSU when they're not playing, then the local college, UNF, upsetting Ohio State in baseball. When USF beat UL in 2005, three sentences. When USF beat WVU in 2006, 5 sentences. When local player, Stephen Nichols gets drafted, maybe two paragraphs. It's mostly good for box-scores and useless stories.

Yeah its a pretty bad sports section and what i had to deal with from 6th grade-high school.  But as for them not reporting anything about USF/UNF (also no one cares about college baseball, generally speaking of course) its not surprising Jax is pretty much 50% gators 50% noles.  If you move there people dont ask you what college football team you root for they ask you if your a gator or a nole. 

Archived