First look: USF's opening-week depth chart

BULLfreak

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

August 26, 2007

First look: USF's opening-week depth chart

Here's the official USF two-deep, leading up to the Bulls' season opener Saturday against Elon:

QB: Matt Grothe, Grant Gregory

RB: Ben Williams, Mike Ford, Moise Plancher

WR: Amarri Jackson, Carlton Mitchell

WR: Taurus Johnson, Dontavia Bogan

WR: Marcus Edwards, Eddie Alcin

WR: Jessie Hester Jr., Courtney Denson

TE: Cedric Hill, Ben Busbee

LT: Marc Dile, Jacob Sims

LG: Jake Griffin, Ryan Schmidt

C: Nick Capogna, Sampson Genus

RG: Zach Hermann, Jeremiah Warren

RT: Walt Walker, Jared Carnes

DE: George Selvie, Josh Smiley

NT: Richard Clebert, Allen Cray

DT: Aaron Harris, Brandon Peguese

DE: Jarriett Buie, Woody George

SLB: Tyrone McKenzie, Sabbath Joseph

MLB: Ben Moffitt, Sam Miller

WLB: Brouce Mompremier, Donte Spires

CB: Mike Jenkins,  Ryan Gilliam

CB: Trae Williams, Tyller Roberts

SS: Carlton Williams, Louis Gachette

FS: Nate Allen, Jerome Murphy

NICKEL: Jerome Murphy, Tyller Roberts

PK: Delbert Alvarado, Justin Teachey

P: Justin Teachey, William Criswell

KO: Justin Teachey, William Criswell

KR: Taurus Johnson/Trae Williams

PR: Amarri Jackson

LS: Eric Setser, Mike Walsh

H: Anthony Severino

OBSERVATIONS: Not too many surprises here. Seeing Mike Ford as the No. 2 running back is impressive, ahead of more experienced running backs in Aston Samuels and Moise Plancher. Again, I think you're going to see four (or five if Jamar Taylor gets his waiver) running backs get long looks against Elon. ... Four true freshmen are top backups: Sampson Genus, Jeremiah Warren, Dontavia Bogan and Mike Walsh. ... There are eight redshirt freshmen on the two-deep as well. ... As you see, linebacker Chris Robinson isn't on this depth chart, a good indication he'll rest the Elon game and focus on returning for Auburn. ... One walk-on note: defensive tackle Frank D'Amico, a Durant grad, is no longer on the team. ... Positions on here I'd say are still up for grabs? Weakside linebacker and the offensive guards. Your thoughts?

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

A couple of quick observations:

This is the first time I can remember in a long, long time that with the exception of  Herrmann and Mompremier, we go into the first game of the season with a lot of playing experience for our starters.  That is especially true on offense.  In the past we were always seemingly putting guys in that had a minimal if any playing time at all.  i think it is going to make a big difference in the way we start the season.

The other observation, if we run a 2 back set, as some have indicated, it looks like Ford will be "a starter" without being named the starter. 

I can't wait until Saturday.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

The chart looks pretty good. I'm **** excited.

I don't see Carltin Hill on the chart.  I guess he's 3rd QB, or is he just a bad reciever?

The weak side LB is definately up for grabs, but I've heard good things and expectations for mompremier.

As for RB I'm pretty sure if we run a 1 RB set Ford will be in on the 2nd or 3rd offensive play.  Leavitt likes to give guys credit and what not, but unless Bo Williams does something spectacular I see the RBs shifting really quick.  I def see Plancher getting in in the first half as well.

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Hill is the No. 4 QB, and wouldn't have likely been on the two-deep at receiver.

• Content Count:  4,016

A couple of quick observations:

This is the first time I can remember in a long, long time that with the exception of  Herrmann and Mompremier, we go into the first game of the season with a lot of playing experience for our starters.  That is especially true on offense.  In the past we were always seemingly putting guys in that had a minimal if any playing time at all.  i think it is going to make a big difference in the way we start the season.

The other observation, if we run a 2 back set, as some have indicated, it looks like Ford will be "a starter" without being named the starter. 

I can't wait until Saturday.

84, that's especially true when you consider 11 out of 12 offensive starters listed above have started, Hermann as an exception, and a few of their back-ups too.  Eight out of those 12 started the bowl game, and Huners would have made it 9.  On defense you've got 8 starters that started the bowl game, 9 if Robinson was playing.  Let's not forget that behind those starters Cray, George, and Gachette have all started too.

Lot's of experience, with that being said by biggest desire is Huners gets healthy fast, McClain continues his ascension up the depth chart, T-Mac is as good as advertised, and ditto for Spires, and Gachette and Williams stop showing glimpses of greatness and become what we've been expecting.  If those things happen, and the rest take care of themselves, and we stay away from the injury bug this team could be real special.

• Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

For an opener, I don't think USF has ever had this much talent on the depth chart.  Sure it could have been more, but it should be a fun year to watch theyse guys.

Go Bulls!!

• Content Count:  4,642

With this much experience and talent at the starting positions, is it okay to say we still have a very young team (considering the number of freshmen that are talented enough for some rotation)?

If so, then that is awesome!

Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

With this much experience and talent at the starting positions, is it okay to say we still have a very young team (considering the number of freshmen that are talented enough for some rotation)?

If so, then that is awesome!

Go Bulls!

We are still very young and that is a testament to the quality of recruits we are getting.  they get better and better every year.  Some people seem to not want to give consideration to the fact we have only been in a position to recruit BCS caliber talent for 3 years.  We are now getting, not only BCS caliber athletes and football players, but as we become known a bit better and are challenging for a BE title, we are getter better BCS caliber athletes.  This is the third or 4th year in a row that freshman and sophomores get signigficant playing  and appear on the 2 deep over veteran upper classman.  The big difference going into this year is there are more returning starters on defense with the freshman appearing as backups.  It is all very encouraging for the present and future because of depth. 

The 2 biggest differences between this year and year's past will be the depth and experience factor going into the season.  It will make a difference whereas last year these young guys were learning on the job and learning to play together.

• Content Count:  12,293

guys...i dont know if you just dont remember last season, or if it was because he got overshadowed by nicholas and st louis but Mompremier got some significant playing time last season as a back up. 

one thing that stands out to me is all that "coach" talk about Amarri was to just fire him up.  i didnt have any doubts that he wouldnt be out there when it counts.  he is too dangerous with the ball in his hands and creates serious matchup problems with his height, speed, and jumping ability.

i hope that chris robinson is fully healed when the auburn game comes around because we are going to need all the depth we can get.

• Content Count:  12,293

Some people seem to not want to give consideration to the fact we have only been in a position to recruit BCS caliber talent for 3 years.  We are now getting, not only BCS caliber athletes and football players, but as we become known a bit better and are challenging for a BE title, we are getter better BCS caliber athletes. 

excellent point,

now that we are an established BCS team and getting some national attention it makes the recruiting process that much easier on the coaches.  a lot of times kids (whether they admit it or not) start to pick favorites in the recruiting process around their soph or junior seasons and depending on the interest they receive from that team and the situation of that teams current roster, they make their choices accordingly.  now USF will really start to be a front-line choice not just a second option because the situation wasn't what the student really wanted at their "first" choice.  you can expect the recruiting to start to pick up a lot.  which MIGHT calm smazza down a little bit................ maybe

Archived