O Sentinel: Preview of USF

Jim Johnson

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

This is from the "Slantinel's" College Football Preview... (Trib comes out Thursday, Times comes out Friday)...

Schedule could make, break USF

Bulls hope their knack for pulling off surprising victories continues in 2007.

By Tania Ganguli | Sentinel Staff Writer

August 24, 2007

Lately the USF football team has made a habit of attracting national attention with spectacular upset wins.

In 2005 it was a blowout win for the Tampa school over then-No. 9 Louisville. In 2006 it was a win at then-No. 7 West Virginia. As the Big East's prestige grows, so does the prestige of USF's upset wins.

This year the Bulls hover on the cusp of turning the program into a national contender. They know they're not there yet, but the Bulls have a tough schedule that could help them with the right results to be thought of as one of Florida's major college football programs.

"If you want to be a part of those three schools, you've got to beat them," USF Coach Jim Leavitt said, referring to Miami, Florida and Florida State.

The Bulls won't get the chance to beat one of the big three this year; their series with Miami starts in 2009.

But they will face four teams ranked in the preseason coaches poll -- No. 14 Auburn and No. 16 Rutgers on the road, and No. 6 West Virginia and No. 11 Louisville at home.

USF went 9-4 last season with a bowl-game win over East Carolina.

Early on this season, the Bulls will be able to rely on some key returning veterans on a defensive unit that ranked 25th nationally in total defense.

George Selvie, who led the defensive line in tackles as a freshman last year, returns along with seniors Allen Cray and Richard Clebert.

Leavitt is optimistic about his secondary.

"Trae [Williams] and Mike [Jenkins] had a good summer," Leavitt said. "They're very talented, good players."

Williams led the Big East with seven interceptions -- a school record -- last season. He and Jenkins, both senior cornerbacks, join returning starting safety Carlton Williams.

Offensively, USF returns junior running back Benjamin Williams and the team's most potent offensive threat -- quarterback Matt Grothe.

Grothe, a Maxwell Award candidate who graduated from Lakeland Lake Gibson High School, was the Big East rookie of the year last season. He took the starting job after stepping in for an injured Pat Julmiste during USF's 2006 season-opener.

He then threw for 2,576 yards during the season. His 63.7 completion percentage set a record at USF and his total offense per game, 246 yards, ranked 17th in Division I-A.

Part of that included his 622 rushing yards, making him the team's leading rusher. Williams came in second with 436 yards.

USF will needs its veterans early -- there won't be much time for young guys to emerge through the brutal beginning of the season. Auburn greets the Bulls for their second game of the season followed by conference power West Virginia two games later.

The Bulls are hoping they can add to their repertoire of upset victories against both schools.

"Going into Morgantown, [W.V.] to win is going to be a moment that I'll always remember," Leavitt said. "Hopefully I'll remember more."

Because Leavitt knows that's the only way the college football world will notice USF.

Tania Ganguli can be reached at tganguli@orlandosentinel.com.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

good read

I dont see a win over WV this year being and upset and the same can be said about UL

• Content Count:  2,363

good read

I dont see a win over WV this year being and upset and the same can be said about UL

Agreed. Especially UL--they have yet to win in our house.

• Content Count:  12,293

no mention of mike ford...usually all the preseason previews mention atleast a quick blurb about him.

Archived