what are the possible Bowl Game sites this year?

Matt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

I know someone on here probably has this all figured out, Jim?, but I was just curious because after hearing Brett McMurphy predict we would go to the Sun Bowl (didnt even know that was a tie in)  it got me wondering.

I thought it was

BCS, Gator, Houston Bowl, Meinike, or the International Bowl in toronto.

thanks in advance....

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Gator and Sun Bowl have an agreement that lets the Gator Bowl take a Big 12 team two times during the 2006-2009 seasons... if the Gator takes a Big 12, the Sun gets the Big East/Notre Dame.

So the line up is:

BCS - Big East Champion

Gator / Sun - 2nd "selection"    (note: not "place")

Meineke - 3rd selection

PapaJohns.com - 4th/5th selection

International Bowl - 4th/5th selection

The Gator/Sun, Meineke, PapaJohns.com, and International bowl could select Notre Dame over a Big East team.

No bowl make select a team with 2 or more fewer wins than another available team.  If Rutgers is 9-4 and Cincy is 7-5, Rutgers must be selected over Cincinnati.

I believe Brett's prediction is based on WVU and Louisville both getting BCS bids, leaving the Gator/Sun to select from either Rutgers or USF...

• Content Count:  585

Also, remember that the Houston Bowl is split every other year with C-DOA, which gets the team this season. 

USFFan

Also, remember that the Houston Bowl is split every other year with C-DOA, which gets the team this season. 

USFFan

You're right. I left it out because Rezz asked about this year...

And it's the Texas Bowl...  ;D  ;)  :P

• Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

Question about the Sun/Gator scenario.  Does the Gator have to accept a Big 12 team two out of four years, or is it worded that they 'can' select one of those teams?  Big difference by the wording. 

Really think ND is going to screw it up this year and get the Gator Bowl invite at say 9-3.........

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I would love for us to go to the Gator Bowl, but in reality it's not going to happen. No matter what our record ends up being this year, they will not invite us. The Gator Bowl has had a real problem with attendance the last few years (thank you ACC), so inviting USF to play would just shoot themselves in the foot (unless we can convince them that we will travel this year). They will take almost every team, but USF.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Question about the Sun/Gator scenario.  Does the Gator have to accept a Big 12 team two out of four years, or is it worded that they 'can' select one of those teams?  Big difference by the wording. 

Really think ND is going to screw it up this year and get the Gator Bowl invite at say 9-3.........

If Notre Dame wins nine games, they become BCS eligible. And if Notre Dame is BCS eligible, Notre Dame will go to a BCS game.

That said, no way Notre Dame wins nine games this year. Personally, I don't think they'll even win six. If we win eight or nine, we should have at least two more wins than them, meaning they can't be taken ahead of us. I think that's the most likely scenario.

• Content Count:  214

If Notre Dame wins nine games, they become BCS eligible. And if Notre Dame is BCS eligible, Notre Dame will go to a BCS game.

That said, no way Notre Dame wins nine games this year. Personally, I don't think they'll even win six. If we win eight or nine, we should have at least two more wins than them, meaning they can't be taken ahead of us. I think that's the most likely scenario.

Thats correct. ND will need to win their final 4 games this season just to get to 6 wins, imo. Meanwhile, USF really should win no less than 9 games (yes, I think we win at least one of the big 4 games on our schedule: @Auburn, v. WV, @Rutgers, v. Louisville). However, unless we win at least 2 of those games, I don't believe we will get to the Gator/Sun Bowl because we are not currently the draw that the other 3 top Big East teams are/would be.

• Content Count:  1,457

USF will play after the regular season in either Jacksonville or Charlotte.  I would be surprised if we return to Birmingham.  All three cities are comfortable and would favor Bulls traveling.  I do not favor Toronto or out West at all.

Next year we will be playing in either Miami or Jacksonville though.

Yes, the Gator has to accept a Big 12 team two out of four years.  I confirmed this with both the Gator Bowl Association and a reporter for the Florida Times-Union in Jacksonville.

I agree with gobulls83 and bsrn12 -- Notre Dame will be lucky to be 6-6 with their schedule and their team this year.  No way they go 9-3.

Archived