SFB Writer Matt Richardson Reports from Fan Fest 2007

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  490

Matt Richardson is a reporter for SouthFloridaBulls.com.  Below, Matt reports from USF Football's 2007 Fan Fest.  Matt's articles appear throughout the season on SouthFloridaBulls.com.

Guarantees

Matt Richardson

August 25, 2007

It’s guaranteed, about this time of year I am literally drooling for real football. Having completed my draft picks (over and over), I can only watch so many pre-season pick-em shows where the talking heads have handed the national title over to the USCs, LSUs, or West Virginias of the world. So being bored and anxious, I found out that the Bulls were holding the first ever Bulls Fan Fest (formerly Fan Appreciation Day) today at Ray-Jay. “Hm, this might be interesting.” I mused. So after loading up the nine year old and the near catatonic napless 3 year old beast into the Bullmobile, 3 of the 5 dooties made the trek into Tampa to brave the heat (guaranteed) at the new sombrero.

The good thing about a ½ hour ride is that it gives you a chance to think. And while doing my thinking, I thought I would don my unofficial reporter hat and make this an unofficial fact gathering mission. As I pondered what actions I would take in my unofficial role, I wondered if I would get the chance to ask someone how the team prepares mentally for this game as it is basically like a preseason game. I mean you can just about, not that I would, but you could just about guarantee a win. And then, just like that, there it was. I decided, unofficially, my goal was to see if I could get, you might have guessed it, a guarantee from someone associated with our Bulls.

And it was hot. Holy cow, I didn’t realize how warm it was standing outside this stadium. We hadn’t even gotten to the gate and the three year old is asking if she could stand in the shade. “Great start” thinks I. 

So about 1000-1500 people stood outside the stadium until the stadium gods decided we could come in. Then we all rushed in stood around and waited for the stadium gods to let us walk up the ramp/ ride the escalator. Then as we were all at the point of breaking, they let us in! No they didn’t, we got to walk about 50 feet up the ramp and were stopped. Waiting, waiting, waiting, OK here we go!! No, we don’t again another 50 feet and we all were stopped. Grumbling and mumbling start becoming outright mutiny, and then finally the guard literally ducked and covered as the angry horde stormed the ramps to finally get their hands on some Bull bounty.

And what bounty we had, not only did we get to go on the hallowed grounds (stun guns nowhere to be found!) every single one of our Bulls from Coach JL to that guy no one knows was sitting there waiting to sign and sign again. Of course Mr. Grothe had the longest line. By myself I might have waited but with the clan there would be no chance.

So, to keep her entertained, I sent the nine year old off for autographs which, BTW, she did quite well gathering, and I went out to test the waters. Walking up to one table of green uniformed gentlemen, I asked if there were any predictions? Their response? They predicted some surprises, they predicted that the teams would play well, they predicted that it would be a good game but to the question of any guarantees? Laughter, and some knowing “no way man” responses. Wow, this crowd is well versed already.

Another table brought similar responses but this time I got a “don’t bet against us!” Closer but not quite what I am looking for.

Coach JL gave me an expected “I guarantee it will be a tough game” and an unexpected smile and wink. Closer yet but I need the words.

Finally, like a golden beam of light, there in the middle of the field instead of under the cover of the awning where most of the players were, was a FRESHMAN. Yes a rookie, basking in his first taste of Div-1A college ball in primetime. And to my glee, not only was it a freshman but it was none other than Mr. Mike Ford. The same Mr. Ford poised to lock hands with Mr. Grothe and power-up the Bulls to a Big East title shot.

Formulating my game plan, I grabbed the nine-year old, and sent her up to get his autograph (flattery) with instructions to ask, “Mr. Ford, will you take a picture with me?” (flattery, sweetness, politeness) which of course the gentlemanly Mr. Ford agreed to. And it was after taking the shot, I pounced.

“Thanks Mike, any guarantees about next Saturday?”  - Me

“Guarantees? Yeah, I got a guarantee, I guarantee a win.” – Mike Ford

“So you are guaranteeing a win next Saturday against Elon?” – Me

“Absolutely” -Mike Ford

“Can I quote you one that?” –Me

Laughing.. “Sure.” -Mike Ford

Like taking candy from a baby, or just abusing a genuinely nice guy. I only hope he’s not such a nice guy on the field. As I walked away pleased with myself I couldn’t help think that his personality was so similar to the last great running back we had here.

OK so I didn’t identify myself as being on an unofficial fact gathering mission, and I realize the use of my nine-year old is borderline greasebally, and I realize that it’s not the same as Coach JL guaranteeing a win against WV but a guarantee is a guarantee.

So one guarantee, dozens of autographs, and two exhausted children later we happily made our way back to the car. On the way home, more time to think, the three year old passed out (happens every time, guaranteed) I thought to myself, “I should put my money where my mouth is.” If Mr. Ford can do it, well hell so can I.

So with my highly respected reputation on the line (sarcasm); I officially guarantee a win over Elon next week. I also guarantee that 99.5% of Bulls nation does the same.

Go Bulls!

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

That was a genuinely good read! Had me laughing with the JL "guarantee"...great writer

• Content Count:  19,662
  • Days Won:  255

I found that to be pretty entertaining.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  3,184
  • Days Won:  12

From Fan fest - Click to Enlarge

• Content Count:  1,297
  • Days Won:  0

Great read.  Look forward to reading more articles like this throughout the season.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Good write up, Matt... I really enjoyed it.

Archived